• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I Become A Jehovah's Witness?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I would say no. There is already too much hate and divisiveness out there without adding to it door to door.

And what happens when you knock on the door of a happily married gay couple? Will you have the gumption to tell them to their face how disgusting and ungodly they are?
Or would you feel obligated to pretend to be nice to them? Or just run the other way so you don't catch homo germs?

I think some people are better off just spreading their disgust online instead.

I take it that you've never had an in-depth conversation with one of us before?
And what happens when you knock on the door of a happily married gay couple? Will you have the gumption to tell them to their face how disgusting and ungodly they are?
What?! No way!
How did Jesus treat people?

Or would you feel obligated to pretend to be nice to them?

When we meet people for the first time, we view them as prospective worshippers of Jehovah.
At the door, we may be nervous, but we don't pretend; we try to be genuine, as Jehovah and Jesus are.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
To be fair I've known a couple of people who were shocked that a platypus wasn't at least a distant cousin to the duck.
Lets take this to another level. If a person acts like he is married, talks like he is married, but does not have legal marriage papers, is he really married? Private ceremony maybe. not authorized by the government, depending.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Lets take this to another level. If a person acts like he is married, talks like he is married, but does not have legal marriage papers, is he really married? Private ceremony maybe. not authorized by the government, depending.
If you consider yourself married, then you're married. A legal certificate only ensures you have the government benefits. I mean some people need that document for their own reasons maybe.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Let's say that someone wanted to attend meetings (church) where the same view as you were explaining was taught. Where would you send them?
Sorry, I don't understand your question.

Someone was attending a church meeting with you and you sent them somewhere else? Why would you do that? I assume they are at your church because they want to be?

YoursTrue

Sorry, I don't understand your question.

Someone was attending a church meeting with you and you sent them somewhere else? Why would you do that? I assume they are at your church because they want to be?
You did not understand. Maybe I phrased it wrong. If you were telling someone what you believe, and they wanted to know what church (gathering) you recommend or attend, where would you send them?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
What if it was a robotic device that looks like, walks like, and quacks like a duck, is it really a duck? What if it was a cartoon?
Then it would be roboduck. Or daffy/Donald Duck (depending on who you prefer in animation.)

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I take it that you've never had an in-depth conversation with one of us before?

What?! No way!
How did Jesus treat people?

When we meet people for the first time, we view them as prospective worshippers of Jehovah.
At the door, we may be nervous, but we don't pretend; we try to be genuine, as Jehovah and Jesus are.

I actually have had in-depth conversations. I used to be very accommodating to the door to door sales people and would listen politely as they explained their positions.

I have read the pamphlets out of curiosity. I have also read their views on public forums. What I have learned is that JWs all think alike and their main concern in life is to get other people to become JWs because they are absolutely certain they have all of the answers to life and death.

And people who become JWs, are even willing to throw their own kids out the door and out of their lives if those kids refuse to be a member and believe as their parents. Or the church shunning families who do support a fallen family member.

The bottom line take away I have from the evidence I have experienced is that the only truly acceptable and worthy humans are those who are JW. And the biggest job of JWs is to convert as many humans as possible to their doctrine. And that as you say, JWs view every stranger as a potential worshiper.

If I am way off then please feel free to correct my views. However, I am not interested in becoming a JW.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
You did not understand. Maybe I phrased it wrong. If you were telling someone what you believe, and they wanted to know what church (gathering) you recommend or attend, where would you send them?

Oh, thank you for explaing. I wouldn't suggest anyone go to any church because I am an atheist.

But if they asked me about my views on living a peaceful, meaningful life, I would suggest they read Buddha's teachings and books on mindfulness and meditation .

YoursTrue

Oh, thank you for explaing. I wouldn't suggest anyone go to any church because I am an atheist.

But if they asked me about my views on living a peaceful, meaningful life, I would suggest they read Buddha's teachings and books on mindfulness and meditation .
You are welcome. Now I really don't know too much about the Buddhist religion, but when you say peaceful and meaningful life, can you briefly explain what you mean by that, and what Buddhists believe? I, too, believe in leading a peaceful and meaningful life, but what do you think that means? The Bible speaks of peace. 1 Corinthians 1:3 May you have undeserved kindness and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

YoursTrue

Which reminds me, I used to read those types of books, especially Alan Watts ? I think it is. I never really understood or grabbed on to it.

YoursTrue

I actually have had in-depth conversations. I used to be very accommodating to the door to door sales people and would listen politely as they explained their positions.

I have read the pamphlets out of curiosity. I have also read their views on public forums. What I have learned is that JWs all think alike and their main concern in life is to get other people to become JWs because they are absolutely certain they have all of the answers to life and death.

And people who become JWs, are even willing to throw their own kids out the door and out of their lives if those kids refuse to be a member and believe as their parents. Or the church shunning families who do support a fallen family member.

The bottom line take away I have from the evidence I have experienced is that the only truly acceptable and worthy humans are those who are JW. And the biggest job of JWs is to convert as many humans as possible to their doctrine. And that as you say, JWs view every stranger as a potential worshiper.

If I am way off then please feel free to correct my views. However, I am not interested in becoming a JW.
Viewpoints sometimes change, however, this is an active organization. We are not born perfect. No one has a perfect brain with thinking process. There are some teachings, however, that have not changed among Jehovah's Witnesses. Perhaps someone here can help explain better than I can. Interesting as I write this that Adam and Eve were created as adults.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
You are welcome. Now I really don't know too much about the Buddhist religion, but when you say peaceful and meaningful life, can you briefly explain what you mean by that, and what Buddhists believe? I, too, believe in leading a peaceful and meaningful life, but what do you think that means? The Bible speaks of peace. 1 Corinthians 1:3 May you have undeserved kindness and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I'm not a Buddhist. I am an atheist who follows the Buddha's teachings. You can Google both the religions that evolved from Buddha's teachings and also Google mindfulness. I'm not here for hours on end to explain my lifestyle and how I got here and don't really want to anyway.
There is nothing difficult except letting your ego and stories take a backseat to real life. That takes many years of practice.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't see why. They are pretty much on their own. Their transportation and literature. I don't think most of them have the time to invest in serious study.
You don't see why it would take more courage to go alone with your own idea house to house? Really?