• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should I Become A Jehovah's Witness?

RedhorseWoman

This is what ex-husbands and ex-wives tell us after living for decades under suppression.....
Message? Get out!
I don't think you're anywhere near clear yet......
Find Peace....

....and on....

30 years............. held down. Frightened about God's wrath?
And no anger or hatred.
OK..... :shrug:

And unless you've got rid of your hatred and anger, and walked on into a life of contented peace and quiet....... you've got no idea what it's like. :shrug:

This is like trashing ........ any kind of community....... even a fishing club that won't let ex-members onto its waters, almost! :p

Do you realise that you have just totally insulted millions of JWs by telling them that they haven't got the brains to know their own hearts and minds, or make their own choices? :facepalm:

Peace.

Yes, 30 years wasted. And now the hope that I can help others to avoid wasting decades or even their entire lives in this destructive organization.

RedhorseWoman

I just love the way you plough through the rubbish and cut right to the chase OB....the internet is full of these poor pathetic souls who want to blame everyone but themselves for the fact that they are lost.

It has been my personal experience that those who voluntarily decide to become Jehovah's Witnesses, do so knowing what is expected of them from the beginning. But the difference between those who stay, and those who become 'disillusioned' and want to leave, is that one group "joined a religion" because they liked what they heard and wanted to get something out of it for themselves.....the other group actually got to know the God they dedicated their life to and came to unselfishly love him. Their loyalty is not just to an organization but to the God who brought this family together and taught them to behave like decent human beings. The genuine ones do, but like all organizations, we have those who bring reproach on the whole brotherhood. Israel was also full of people who failed to obey their God and brought reproach on his name. One of Jesus' own apostles defected and betrayed him. Its gonna happen....but woe to the one who brings that kind of reproach. Still it is not easy to stumble a faithful person.

Mark 9:40-42...Jesus said "For whoever is not against us is for us. 41 And whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ, I tell you truly, he will by no means lose his reward. 42 But whoever stumbles one of these little ones who have faith, it would be better for him if a millstone that is turned by a donkey were put around his neck and he were pitched into the sea."

Many of us got to know God and realized (belatedly, unfortunately) that he was not exclusive to the JW organization. Some JWs do try their best to serve God, but they could do so pretty much anywhere, even though the WTS tells them otherwise.

JWs generally state that those who have left this man-made organization have "left Jehovah" and your post implies that. It isn't true, but this is what JWs are taught. They are the only ones who have God on their side and anyone who is not in the JW organization (including OB--perhaps you should inform him of this) are worshiping Satan and God will destroy them...any day now.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yes, 30 years wasted. And now the hope that I can help others to avoid wasting decades or even their entire lives in this destructive organization.

OK.......... and so there is the precis of all that hot air and spittle previously posted.
You wasted 30 years of your life doing something that you now wish you had lived differently.
And you wish to shout your hatred and anger for ever and ever, thus wasting the next thirty years of your life, because most folks out there will only give you passing interest at best.
Let me show you........ I have told you about horrors, incidents and situations in my life that left me in teeth gnashing fury for a long time...... I told you that. Did you want to know more? No. Were you the slightest bit interested in my story? No. Now there it is...... that's the level of attention that you're going to get from the world about your story.......... and all those anecdotes founded on mostly half-truths.

Good Luck to you...... but I can only hope that one day you will wake up to a positive life of fulfillment rather than a negative life of stone chucking damage. :shrug:

Good Luck.

RedhorseWoman

OK.......... and so there is the precis of all that hot air and spittle previously posted.
You wasted 30 years of your life doing something that you now wish you had lived differently.
And you wish to shout your hatred and anger for ever and ever, thus wasting the next thirty years of your life, because most folks out there will only give you passing interest at best.
Let me show you........ I have told you about horrors, incidents and situations in my life that left me in teeth gnashing fury for a long time...... I told you that. Did you want to know more? No. Were you the slightest bit interested in my story? No. Now there it is...... that's the level of attention that you're going to get from the world about your story.......... and all those anecdotes founded on mostly half-truths.

Good Luck to you...... but I can only hope that one day you will wake up to a positive life of fulfillment rather than a negative life of stone chucking damage. :shrug:

Good Luck.

Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood you. I didn't realize that you wanted to discuss the happenings in your life even if I chose not to discuss mine. My apologies. Please...I am interested in your story, but I misread you.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood you. I didn't realize that you wanted to discuss the happenings in your life even if I chose not to discuss mine. My apologies. Please...I am interested in your story, but I misread you.

That's cool........ no probs.
I will spare you.... :)
A time did come when, drained of anger and rage, I walked away from it all as empty as a shell, which gave me a chance to refill with something more worthwhile ........ I met my wife, the one situation which has made my life worth living, in truth.
I would have given a reduced account of all, if necessary, but I do expect that even that might have lit fuses which I could not control.

Good Luck to you....... may you find such contentment and happiness that you don't ever have to turn and look back......... may every day be a joy to you.

RedhorseWoman

That's cool........ no probs.
I will spare you.... :)
A time did come when, drained of anger and rage, I walked away from it all as empty as a shell, which gave me a chance to refill with something more worthwhile ........ I met my wife, the one situation which has made my life worth living, in truth.
I would have given a reduced account of all, if necessary, but I do expect that even that might have lit fuses which I could not control.

Good Luck to you....... may you find such contentment and happiness that you don't ever have to turn and look back......... may every day be a joy to you.

Thank you. Believe me, though, when I tell you that I am far from being angry and full of hate. However, when I see abuses being committed against people or animals, I feel the that I should, at the very least, speak out against such abuses, which is why I speak out against the WTS. The individual JWs are generally decent people, and I view them, not as enemies, but as victims.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Thank you. Believe me, though, when I tell you that I am far from being angry and full of hate. However, when I see abuses being committed against people or animals, I feel the that I should, at the very least, speak out against such abuses, which is why I speak out against the WTS. The individual JWs are generally decent people, and I view them, not as enemies, but as victims.

OK......... or animals.......
My wife works for a group of veterinary surgeons.
She had always been 'red hot' about animal mistreatment but when she became redundant from the retail trade about ten years ago she joined this vet's surgery.
Over ten years she has observed such dreadful cruelties, the results being raced into her reception, that a time came when she realised that to be effective in her work she would have to rein back any anger because it could only interfere with her maximum efficiency.

The vets,nurses and other staff seem to have this ability to switch off their heartstrings and just become 'the best that they can be' with their training and experience.

Recently a new receptionist joined the team and it soon became obvious that she would become very heated with careless customers who had not treated animals properly ....... break or make time. One day she came to work with a new mindset.......... switched off to anger.... she has made it, and will be the best that she can be in her new role.

I don't know why I'm telling you this...... it just clicked as I read your last post.

All the best........
OB

RedhorseWoman

OK......... or animals.......
My wife works for a group of veterinary surgeons.
She had always been 'red hot' about animal mistreatment but when she became redundant from the retail trade about ten years ago she joined this vet's surgery.
Over ten years she has observed such dreadful cruelties, the results being raced into her reception, that a time came when she realised that to be effective in her work she would have to rein back any anger because it could only interfere with her maximum efficiency.

The vets,nurses and other staff seem to have this ability to switch off their heartstrings and just become 'the best that they can be' with their training and experience.

Recently a new receptionist joined the team and it soon became obvious that she would become very heated with careless customers who had not treated animals properly ....... break or make time. One day she came to work with a new mindset.......... switched off to anger.... she has made it, and will be the best that she can be in her new role.

I don't know why I'm telling you this...... it just clicked as I read your last post.

All the best........
OB

Kudos to your wife for being on the front line of helping animals in need. I simply do not understand why people do such horrendous things to creatures that merely want to be loved and cared for.

I adopted a dog a few years ago that was so terrified of brushes that we couldn't groom him for a year, and he would sometimes do something and then yelp and cower for no particular reason. As far as we were concerned, he had done nothing wrong, but at some point in time, he had been severely punished for whatever it was. Fortunately, he eventually got over his fears.

Another dog we adopted was missing several front teeth even though he was only about three years old. We came to the conclusion that someone must have kicked him in the mouth when he reached for a treat because we would have to coax him to accept any sort of treat by telling him "It's okay" multiple times.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Kudos to your wife for being on the front line of helping animals in need. I simply do not understand why people do such horrendous things to creatures that merely want to be loved and cared for.

I adopted a dog a few years ago that was so terrified of brushes that we couldn't groom him for a year, and he would sometimes do something and then yelp and cower for no particular reason. As far as we were concerned, he had done nothing wrong, but at some point in time, he had been severely punished for whatever it was. Fortunately, he eventually got over his fears.

Another dog we adopted was missing several front teeth even though he was only about three years old. We came to the conclusion that someone must have kicked him in the mouth when he reached for a treat because we would have to coax him to accept any sort of treat by telling him "It's okay" multiple times.

It's clear that you love animals very much.

Years back I was not a dog lover. When I heard about owners trying to save their dogs by running into the sea, going out over thin ice or even charging attacking bears etc I would shake my head in amazement at such silliness.

And then 9 years ago my wife telephoned me and asked if she could bring a little long-hair dachshund home...... she has ways of gaining my agreement.

Would I risk myself for this little creature now, today? Absolutely....... I certainly could never come home without her.

Oeste

The IBSA, WTBS, and GB have never claimed infallibility.

I really don’t see that as the issue. It’s when they claim to speak as God’s sole chosen channel that a problem arises.

God is infallible. So when they speak His words there should be no falsehood in their mouth. No stuttering, “miscommunication”, or “fallibility” in the words they speak. After all, they’re not claiming to be the Watchtower channel of communication, but God’s.

“Fallibility” only enters the equation when a prophet speaks or writes his own words and not those of God.

Though we are all anxious to see people get relief from this corrupt system, and for Jehovah’s rule through Jesus to bring the Kingdom benefits. That being said, let’s consider these dates you’ve posted:

Here are the dates:

1914, 1925, 1940, and 1975 were NOT words from the mouth of Jehovah Deeje, but they sure were the words from the mouth of your Governing Board.

Was 1914 a turning point for mankind?

No. It was a turning point for Europe and to some extent Canada and the United States. “Mankind” is a bit of a stretch.

Maybe the end didn’t come as expected, but the Last Days — of foretold times of trouble — did begin.

A war began, not the “Last Days”. The “Millions now living will never die” … died,

ScreenCap47.jpg
and "The generation that will not pass away" has for all scriptural purposes (70-80 years) passed.

1914 Generation.jpg

Oeste

Here’s a post written by a Mark Hunter, who really explains the evidence quite well:

**The New York World of August 30, 1914, explains: “The terrific war outbreak in Europe has fulfilled an extraordinary prophecy.

I'm not surprised at this. The New York World was widely known for sensationalist headlines, and pioneers of “yellow journalism”. On the other hand, some of there editors were quite good and produced excellent examples of investigative journalism.

For a quarter of a century past
, through preachers and through press, the ‘International Bible Students’ [as Jehovah’s Witnesses were then known] . . . have been proclaiming to the world that the Day of Wrath prophesied in the Bible would dawn in 1914.”–The World, a New York newspaper, August 30, 1914.

Actually, no “dawn” was predicted for 1914. The “dawn” was claimed to have already occurred in 1874:

The date of the close of that “battle” is definitely marked in Scripture as October, 1914. It is already in progress, its beginning dating from October , 1874 (Jehovah Witnesses Proclaimer’s of God’s Kingdom, p.635)​

“…we have seen that God has a set time for every feature of his plan, and that we are even now in this “Day of Vengeance,” which is a period of forty years; that it began in October , 1874…” (Studies in the Scriptures – The Day of Vengeance, 1923 edition, pp. 546-547)​

As it turned out, these things were only a “beginning of pangs of distress.”

Not quite...

According to the Watchtower. The “pangs of distress” began in 1799.

"The time of the end" embraces a period from A.D. 1799, as above indicated, to the time of the complete overthrow of Satan's empire and the establishment of the kingdom of the Messiah."​

"This great increase in knowledge and the tremendous running to and fro of the people in various parts of the earth without question is a fulfilment of the prophecy testifying as to "the time of the end"." The Harp of God p.234​

"The indisputable facts, therefore, show that the "time of the end" began in 1799; that the Lord's second presence began in 1874." Watchtower 1922 Mar 1 p.73​

“For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress. (Mat 24:7)

This is nation (singular) against nation (singular), not nations (Allies, plural) against nations (Axis, plural). Notice it also says “kingdom against kingdom”.

Mat 24:7 is referring to a global and not a Euro-centric cataclysmic event.

“There will be famines and earthquakes in various places...” I suspect these famines and earthquakes will disrupt food, water and infrastructure, forcing global competition for finite resources which will eventually rise to an unprecedented, near extinction (“…unless those days were cut short”) level.

The WT has a Euro-centric view of the world, either reading scripture into European events or reading European events into scripture. This is not surprising given the historic makeup of their Governing Board.

You can see the WT’s Euro-prism on display here:

Having thus furnished grounds for establishing the identity of this character (Napoleon), whose deeds mark the beginning of the 'Time of the End,' the prophecy proceeds to show which particular event of that time is to be understood as definitely marking the exact date of the beginning of the 'Time of the End.' This event is shown to be Napoleon's invasion of Egypt, which covered a period of a year and nearly five months. He sailed May, 1798 and, returning, landed in France Oct. 9, 1799. This campaign is graphically described in a few words in verses 40-44. Verse 40: 'And at the (fixed) Time of the End shall the king of the South (Egypt) fight against him, and the king of the North (England) shall come against him like a tempest, with chariots and with horsemen (the Egyptian Mamelukes, etc.) and with a great navy. (The English forces consisted of a navy under Admiral Nelson.) And he (Napoleon) shall enter into the countries, and shall destroy and pass through (victoriously). (Thy Kingdom Come 1915, p. 44)​

Yes, their expectations were wrong.

Whose “expectations” does the Watchtower claim to publish?

"The Watchtower is not the instrument of any man or set of men, nor is it published according to the whims of men. No man's opinion is expressed in The Watchtower. God feeds his own people, and surely God uses those who love and serve him according to his own will. Those who oppose The Watchtower are not capable of discerning the truth that God is giving to the children of his organization, and this is the very strongest proof that such opposers are not of God's organization." Watchtower 1931 Nov 1 p.327​

We were told 1799 came from God. 1874 came from God. 1914 came from God. 1925 came from God...all the dates came from God because the Governing Board doesn't pull the old switcheroo when it comes to feeding the sheep. No, they faithfully administer the food God (not they) provides, only they have the correct food, and only to them is the bible not a sealed book!

Is this not correct?

"Consider, too, the fact that Jehovah's organization alone, in all the earth, is directed by God's holy spirit or active force. (Zech. 4:6) Only this organization functions for Jehovah's purpose and to his praise. To it alone God's Sacred Word, the Bible, is not a sealed book." Watchtower 1973 Jul 1 p.402

They expected that year to be the end, but came to believe that that year was only the beginning of what the Bible calls the “end of this system of things” or the “last days.”

By that time they had no choice HC! As you stated they thought 1914 was to be the end, but "came to believe" something else once the year came and went.

The problem is that these were often published as "God's dates" or "established truth" rather than conjecture:

ScreenCap45.jpg

Due to their zeal, Christians have at times had wrong expectations.

Examples:

Shortly before Jesus died, his disciples “were imagining that the kingdom of God was going to display itself instantly.”

Imagining the kingdom of God” is fine HC, but your Organization went way, way beyond imagining. They claimed to know when it’s going to be set up because they were God’s “exclusive channel”. They then vilified everyone who objected or disagreed with them.

Then, after his resurrection they asked whether the Kingdom would be set up right away.

I need you to read the following verse and then respond:

6 When the apostles met together with Jesus, they asked him, “Lord, will you at this time give the Kingdom back to Israel?”

7 Jesus said to them, “The times and occasions are set by my Father's own authority, and it is not for you to know when they will be. (Acts 1)​

1. Was this a question or statement from the disciples?

2. What, exactly, did Jesus tell his disciples?​

Also, about ten years before Peter wrote his second letter, some were “excited” by “a verbal message” or “a letter,” reputedly from the apostle Paul or his companions, “to the effect that the day of Jehovah is here.” (Luke 19:11; 2 Thessalonians 2:2; Acts 1:6)

I need you to read another verse, then respond:

Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come.
Obviously someone was going around claiming to have received a prophesy or a letter from the apostles claiming the "Day of the Lord" had come, when no such prophesy or letter had been written.

This sound stunningly like what we have today...groups going around claiming the Lord's Day of Wrath or "parousia" has already come. But what does the bible say?:

3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness[a] is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.​

Obviously this hasn't happened yet. The Jews would have understood "God's temple" to be the temple in Jerusalem and no one's set themselves up there who also claims to be God.

They were a bit early.

So wasn't the Watchtower. The early church had people jumping the gun just as we do now.
The important thing to remember is that if a date is too early or a too late, it wasn't from God.

If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously, so do not be alarmed. (Deu 18:22)​

As I see it, your Organization has been preaching the end times “are right around the corner” since 1799. That’s a period of 219 years, and the same scriptures used to prove 1799 was “the truth” back then are the same ones used for 1914 today.

Anyway, How do secular authorities or historians view 1914?

It doesn’t matter how secular authorities viewed 1914 because our secular authorities don’t claim to speak for God nor do they claim to be His “exclusive channel”. There are no national leaders claiming I must "get out" of my country and get into theirs before God destroys it.

What’s important is whether 1914 was the year God’s kingdom was set up, on earth, just as His “exclusive channel”, His sole organization on earth, faithfully and discreetly claimed it would be.

If 1914 is untrue we would then need to go to scripture. Perhaps there are examples where a prophet falsely speaking on behalf of God was later used to speak truthfully on behalf of God. If so, we would be wise to take a look at other, later dates professed by this prophet as well.

Oeste

1914, 1925, 1940, and 1975 were NOT words from the mouth of Jehovah Deeje, but they sure were the words from the mouth of your Governing Board.

They spoke something Jehovah did not command them to speak. They raced ahead of the chariot. They were unfaithful and indiscreet. They became slaves to their own self-professed magnanimousness.

1925- What was said?

"We have no doubt whatever in regard to the chronology relating to the dates of 1874, 1914, 1918, and 1925." (Watchtower 1922 May 15 p.147)

“…about April 1, 1925, at which time we may expect the resurrection of the Ancient Worthies… (Millions Now Living Will Never Die - 1925 p. 110)

By the way, in 2015 the United Nations estimated the number of world Centenarians (those 100 years or older) at under 500,000. There will be no “Millions” of the 1914 generation entering Armageddon, even if it occurs the day before yesterday.

1940- What was said?

The Watchtower published a book called "Children" which Rutherford called "...the Lord's provided instrument for most effective work in the remaining months before Armageddon."

Please show me where the Organization stated that 1975 was going to definitely be the end? You won’t find it....because nothing definite was ever written! Only that it was the end of 6,000 years of human existence, and it could be the end.

Why show something I never claimed? I did not state that "...1975 was going to definitely be the end” although I consider it interesting for you to bring up.

I stated 1975 was a date Jehovah did not command the FDS to speak, so I’m wondering why the FDS unfaithfully and indiscreetly spoke it. If they succumbed to zeal then obviously they are not the FDS of Watchtower legend. You can see my quote at the top of this post.

I do not agree with the WT's teaching of a special "FDS class". In the past when I did, the WT was NOT talking about some average Joe’s “faithfulness”. Nor were they talking a little discreetness "here or there". No, what the WT was talking about was SCRIPTURAL LEVEL faithfulness, and SCRIPTURAL LEVEL discreetness.

This is Faithfulness and Discreetness taken to extraordinary scale, so much so that the Almighty takes note of it and gives them mention in His Holy book! As such, we should not expect to hear lame excuses about “zealousness” or “over eagerness” because the FDS would be guided by the Holy Spirit (or in your case, spirit) and NOT guided by an emotion like “zeal”.

I had a lot of "zeal" for a woman who walked into the coffee shop today, but I don't allow such zeal to overcome my common sense. Likewise we don't allow "zeal" to put words in our mouth that we should not say, or to put into print things that should not be published.

Zeal can be good to have, but it should never be our master. If the WT is now embracing zeal, I would expect to see your Sunday morning services more in line with that of a Holy Roller church.

By any reasonable standard, the WT’s "FDS class" has failed to meet the higher standard of "faithful and discreet". They raced ahead of the chariot. They zigged when they were not so much as to zag, falling victim to zeal. I don't blame them for this because we all fall short. But I think this disqualifies them the "FDS" envisioned by the Watchtower.

So if they want to claim "fallibility", fine, but if they want to scream "fallible" then they should scream some apologies and repentance along with it.

Did not Jesus say to “keep on the watch”? To “stay alert”? That’s just what we try to do.....the sin is to not stay awake, fall asleep.

“Keep on the watch is fine” HC, staying alert is fine.

1. Conjecture or manufacture “end dates”? No.

2. Call our conjectured or manufactured dates “truth”? No.

3. Stick our dates in the mouth of God and call it the Creator's Promise? No.

4.. Suggest, imply, speak or publish these dates as “spiritual food” from God? No.​

The early Christians were counseled against this…You quoted these scripture yourself, yet we now have your Organization doing the exact same thing here. :(

As stated at Armageddon – When? :

“Remember that we don't sin by watching, hoping, and anticipating. Rather, we sin when we stop doing that. For Jesus said (as recorded at Luke 12:37):

If watching, hoping and anticipating was all they did, there would be no sin. If they clearly stated these are our expectations or dates and not God's there would be no sin either. If they repented, their sin would be forgiven, but the Watchtower never apologizes, let alone repents, and if they took responsibility rather than avoided it, they would show a lot more veracity.

ScreenCap50.jpg

As stated earlier, the sin occurs when we shove words into God’s mouth that He never spoke, like this one which appeared week after week in the Awake! :

Creators Promise Awake!.png

'

RedhorseWoman

It's clear that you love animals very much.

Years back I was not a dog lover. When I heard about owners trying to save their dogs by running into the sea, going out over thin ice or even charging attacking bears etc I would shake my head in amazement at such silliness.

And then 9 years ago my wife telephoned me and asked if she could bring a little long-hair dachshund home...... she has ways of gaining my agreement.

Would I risk myself for this little creature now, today? Absolutely....... I certainly could never come home without her.

Yes, I do love animals. I have quite the crew here...a dog, several cats, a couple of horses, a few chinchillas, some finches and some goldfish. Over the years I've taken in and tamed several feral cats that came around looking for food, and they turned into wonderful companions.

Glad that your wife was able to persuade you to open your home to the little girl. They really do become part of the family, don't they?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
God is infallible. So when they speak His words there should be no falsehood in their mouth. No stuttering, “miscommunication”, or “fallibility” in the words they speak. After all, they’re not claiming to be the Watchtower channel of communication, but God’s.

So, was Nathan (in King David’s day), Jehovah God’s prophet?

Yet the account @ 2 Samuel 7:1-3 informs us that Nathan told David something wrong, even saying that God was backing him.
But David said @ 1 Chronicles 28:3 that that was not the case!

Did Nathan utter a falsehood? Yes, most assuredly...but his heart was in the right place: unselfishly on Jehovah’s side.

When Jesus tested his followers, at John 6:51-69, Peter and the other Apostles knew where the truth came from...

Jehovah and Jesus allow tests today, just like Jesus did back then..... but that doesn’t negate the truths we’ve already learned, remembering who taught us. Their ‘hearts are in the right place’, preaching the Kingdom message worldwide (Matthew 24:14), and all of us “speaking in agreement (1 Corinthians 1:10)” sharing global “brotherly love (1 Peter 1:22)”. It’s evidence of Jehovah’s spirit.

(I hear you scoffing now. So does Jehovah.)

Duke_Leto

So, was Nathan (in King David’s day), Jehovah God’s prophet?

Yet the account @ 2 Samuel 7:1-3 informs us that Nathan told David something wrong, even saying that God was backing him.
But David said @ 1 Chronicles 28:3 that that was not the case!

Did Nathan utter a falsehood? Yes, most assuredly...but his heart was in the right place: unselfishly on Jehovah’s side.

When Jesus tested his followers, at John 6:51-69, Peter and the other Apostles knew where the truth came from...

Jehovah and Jesus allow tests today, just like Jesus did back then..... but that doesn’t negate the truths we’ve already learned, remembering who taught us. Their ‘hearts are in the right place’, preaching the Kingdom message worldwide (Matthew 24:14), and all of us “speaking in agreement (1 Corinthians 1:10)” sharing global “brotherly love (1 Peter 1:22)”. It’s evidence of Jehovah’s spirit.

(I hear you scoffing now. So does Jehovah.)

Wouldn't what you're saying just prove that God changed his mind?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yes, I do love animals. I have quite the crew here...a dog, several cats, a couple of horses, a few chinchillas, some finches and some goldfish. Over the years I've taken in and tamed several feral cats that came around looking for food, and they turned into wonderful companions.
You have a whole family there, just in your pets..... :)
We have ducks, 2 elderly cats and two mini-dachshunds who live for the beach and swimming. The Black/Tan one won't come out of the sea when told to so I have to get wet before we can go home.

Glad that your wife was able to persuade you to open your home to the little girl. They really do become part of the family, don't they?
Yes..... they are our family, and the hounds are like her children.

dscf6272.jpg

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@Hockeycowboy, do you get the impression that someone just has to prove that we are wrong? I wonder how many apostate sites he had to scour to post that junk? We made some mistakes in the timing of one event, so we can't possibly have the truth.....can we? We were instructed to "keep on the watch" which is what we have always done. The watchman's job was to sound the alert if they saw something in the distance approaching....if it proved to be a false alarm, everyone went back to business as usual, but the watchman had done his job. He will continue to do his best, like the rest of us.

Jesus said...."Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming. . . .On this account, you too prove yourselves ready, because the Son of man is coming at an hour that you do not think to be it." (Matthew 24:42; 44)

I wonder how many of the people who belong to Christendom's churches are ready for what Jesus warned us was coming? Do they "all speak in agreement" and are they out there preaching the Kingdom message as Jesus instructed his disciples to do? (Matthew 28:19-20) Talk is cheap....actions speak louder. Excuses are not acceptable.

Christendom's churches are not out there preaching the Kingdom message globally....(Matthew 10:11-15) Jesus said it was going to be done "in all the inhabited earth as a witness to all the nations" before "the end" of this wicked system was to come. (Matthew 24:14) I have to ask...where are they? When was the last time any of Christendom's churches sent their people out with the kingdom message? Try asking them what the kingdom message is? They have no idea. Their shepherds have really let them down. :(

Did Jesus' own apostles make mistakes? Did God's servants of old need to be perfect? Did they get things wrong at times? Did it stop them from being God's people? AFAIK God corrected them. He is still doing that.

I think it best to allow Jesus to answer those negative claims......but you know what they say about people who live in glass houses....time to clean up their own backyard first. o_O

Earthling

David Henson
Where are you in this? Have you decided to join?

I've decided not to join, but the question itself raises some interesting points. The Watchtower's leaders aren't perfect, as none of us are. Nor were the Kings and Judges of ancient Israel and later, the Christians. Nor, for that matter, the Muslims, Hindus, Taoists, Shintoists, Confucianists, Atheists, Democrats, Republicans, Labor, etc.

So, if you are going to be critical of any potential group you may join, religious or secular, where do you draw the line? but possibly more importantly, there is always that imperfection so dismissing the questionable of today isn't particularly conducive to an accurate understanding of the founders of the original groups.

Jimmy Swaggart's sin may have brought his ministry to it's knees but it pales in comparison to King David's own sin. Jehovah didn't overlook David's sin, but at the same time, he (David) was beloved by Jah.

Reactions: Jim