1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured should I be an atheist or religious?

Discussion in 'Seekers Circle' started by hkkb, Jul 28, 2020.

?
  1. atheist- religion wouldn't be the right fit for me

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. atheist- a religious community wouldn't accept my beliefs

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. religious- there is a religious community that shares my beliefs

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. religious- there is a religious community i could fit into despite being a non-believer

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +9,538
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    Yeah, I agree with Shoghi ffendi. No personal God, no manifestation, no Abdul Baha, no Shoghi Effendi. Can any thought be worse than this?

2. eik

eik Active Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Religion:
    Christianity
    "should I be an atheist or religious?"
    Given that you appear to fall into the classical definition of atheist, presumably from already being an atheist, then you could experiment at being religious to see if it fulfils the void that you clearly experience from your nihilistic beliefs. What I mean is that if your arbitrary nihilism doesn't appear to you to be the morally correct solution, you could let go of it for a while and try something else, provided it's not a cult. And there's the danger of "religion" in this day and age. You should not be afraid to make your own inquiries, and you will also find many will accept a genuine inquirer.

3. hkkb

hkkb Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Religion:
    not sure
    thank you for your help! I will definitely ask around, I'd be thrilled if people would accept my questions about their religion but I had no idea if that would be appropriate to inquire to members of a religious community about. I don't personally have any nihilistic beliefs, I'm strongly against nihilism, but I clearly do feel a void in the community surrounding my beliefs, so trying out a religion sounds exciting! I just assumed most wouldn't welcome an atheist in their midst, but I'll talk to some local religious figures, perhaps see if I can email them or something. thanks for your input

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +9,538
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    The void will remain till we solve the ambiguity of existence and non-existence.

1. THEN was not non-existent nor existent: there was no realm of air, no sky beyond it.
    What covered in, and where? and what gave shelter? Was water there, unfathomed depth of water?
    3 Darkness there was: at first concealed in darkness this All was indiscriminated chaos.
    All that existed then was void and form less: by the great power of Warmth was born that Unit.
    Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.
    'Nasadiya' hymn (Na+asat = Not non-existing, double-negative for some reason :))

#64 Aupmanyav, Aug 2, 2020 at 4:43 AM
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 4:50 AM