• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should guns including police officer guns be banned in remote communities?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Should guns including police officer guns be banned in remote indigenous communities?

Or should there be more indigenous officers in the police service in remote indigenous communities?

Or both or other?

This debate is following the acquittal of Northern Territory police officer Zachary Rolfe on all charges of murder after he shot Warlpiri man Kumanjayi Walker, as Senior Warlpiri leaders are calling for guns to be banned in remote Aboriginal communities.

Source: 'Enough is enough': Family of Kumanjayi Walker speak after NT police officer's not guilty verdict

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
The Aboriginal community appears to be calling for a ban on guns, and they know their communities best. The article didn't have any opposing viewpoints, so it's hard to tell if this is a universal sentiment amongst them.

Sad story. I hope the community finds peace and justice.

danieldemol

Premium Member
The Aboriginal community appears to be calling for a ban on guns, and they know their communities best. The article didn't have any opposing viewpoints, so it's hard to tell if this is a universal sentiment amongst them.

Sad story. I hope the community finds peace and justice.
Perhaps it may be useful for the government to run a survey amongst remote indigenous communities to determine the popularity of a ban on guns in remote indigenous communities.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
As a non-australian and especially as a non-aborigine, my opinion would be irrelevant and worthless had I one.

I do of course wish for peace and justice where it's needed and due.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Perhaps it may be useful for the government to run a survey amongst remote indigenous communities to determine the popularity of a ban on guns in remote indigenous communities.

Not a bad idea. I live in a rural area myself, though not necessarily remote, but I've camped in remote areas, and I find having a firearm is handy for various reasons. But I could manage without it. Even for hunting, I am an archer and while I've never bow-hunted, there's no reason why I couldn't.

wellwisher

The Aborigine maintain the ancient traditions of their ancestors. In this traditions there are spears instead of guns. The current lack of guns does not mean they do not have criminals among them. The battle of good and evil is common to all cultures, with evil willing and able to cheat by any means. Now, their cheating is limited by the ancient traditions.

The elders would prefer to deal with their criminals in the old fashion ways of the ancient weapons. Guns are a wild card. Everyone knows that criminals are less likely to follow the rules, including the traditions of the Aborigine. This new wild card can become a future problem for the good people.

The result of an introduction of guns, could cause the criminals to ignore the limitations of their traditions, thereby getting too powerful. The good will be subdued, since only the good people will continue to use the harder standards of the old ways. This may be less about gun control, and more about being proactive to the needs of future criminal control. Guns could make hunting easier, but the criminals may extrapolate and exploit this.

If you go to any large American city, especially those controlled by the Democrats, gun violence is done mostly by criminals. It is not done by hunters who own guns. The line is between good and evil and not just guns, as the leaders of the worse cities extrapolate.

In the USA if you ban guns, the good people will comply, but the evil criminals will not give up their advantage. They do not follow the law. They will still look for and find what they need on the black market.

The Aborigine are not there yet, and would like to nip this in the bud, so their criminals will only use spears, clubs and knives. These old weapons tend to cause less death, being so close and personal. They do not wish the criminals to upgrade to the impersonal distant natures of guns, where even the weak bottom feeder criminals, become an overcompensating threat.

Guns are inanimate. The evil heart of criminals is the problem, since to them the ends justifies the means. The Aborigine elders understanding this and wish to limit the future means of evil. The old ways have worked for millennia to help maintain a balance.

Last edited:

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
Perhaps the actual problem is that police officers get off scot free for committing crimes that would get most people prison sentences?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Should guns including police officer guns be banned in remote indigenous communities?

Or should there be more indigenous officers in the police service in remote indigenous communities?

Or both or other?

This debate is following the acquittal of Northern Territory police officer Zachary Rolfe on all charges of murder after he shot Warlpiri man Kumanjayi Walker, as Senior Warlpiri leaders are calling for guns to be banned in remote Aboriginal communities.

Source: 'Enough is enough': Family of Kumanjayi Walker speak after NT police officer's not guilty verdict
In Canada's remote communities, it's very common to depend on hunting to meet basic nutritional needs. Because of shipping costs, basic groceries at the grocery store can be very expensive... to the point that people have to be quite well-off to afford buying all of their food at the store.

So for Canada's north, I would say no: guns shouldn't be banned... despite the fact that these areas have some of the highest firearm death rates in the country.