• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should gun ownership be legalised in the UK?

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
Good post.
One type of pistol which is allowed here is the black-powder can 'n' ball revolver. I watched some enthusiasts shooting these about a decade ago.
An American RF member unwittingly put finger on spot over all this, some time back. We were discussing cycling in fairly lighthearted way when he posted a deeply serious 'important point', telling cyclists to go in groups, with a long list of precautions to take during any cycle expedition. There's your difference. One of our neighbours cycles on her own daily to Canterbury using a disused rail-track ......now a cycle woodland ride. Could she do that in America? Nah! She'd need to be packing a bloody gun to even go shopping!
I would call that 'perpetual gun-trauma' :)

America has created a climate of fear.
I feel sorry for the American that feels that he needs a gun to exercise his "rights" or feel safe. The only thing that "the right to bear arms" has bought is fear and, more importantly, unnecessary death. And it's too late to go back. There are now 270 million guns in America: this is a gun for every 90 people out of 100. Compared to the UK population: this would amount to 4 guns per person.
But then, why are we comparing stats?

The fact is that we don't want this climate of fear in our country. No thank-you.

Since the UK doesn't have a problem with gun violence, why introduce it?

Exactly. In fact, why is this thread here?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
America has created a climate of fear.
I feel sorry for the American that feels that he needs a gun to exercise his "rights" or feel safe. The only thing that "the right to bear arms" has bought is fear and, more importantly, unnecessary death. And it's too late to go back. There are now 270 million guns in America: this is a gun for every 90 people out of 100. Compared to the UK population: this would amount to 4 guns per person.
But then, why are we comparing stats?

The fact is that we don't want this climate of fear in our country. No thank-you.
Another good post.
I guess that we compare stats because we compare mostly anything on RF... :)
I think we've said it all.
Life here is better for all............. almost completely free from the fear of the gun.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Absolutely. We do have the occasional gun rampage by a mental defective, but nothing like the frequency in a country like the US.
I was trying to remember our last gun rampage........ and failed.
....and nobody here that I know rambles on about 'when the Guv'mint might turn upon the people' sort of rubbish.
The toughest run-in I have had with 'Guvmint in the last year was an aggressive overworked parking enforcement officer who didn't want me to drive into a privately owned bay in Canterbury on Xmas eve!!!! (I reported her.... he he he heh! :p)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Barking mad, but at least they're not American. :p

Ah....yes. I'll hold on fast to that.
I wonder whether Nigel might protect us from 'em?
Oh Gawd.... his lot are going to be crazier than a trouser leg full of ferrets.

And yes, Mr Moat. Was it as long as four years ago? He used a sawn-down shotgun. In any similar situation over the pond a 15 shot semi-auto rifle would have been the weapon. The police helicopters would have been in grave danger if Moat had been able to use an AR15.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
th

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I feel sorry for the American that feels that he needs a gun to exercise his "rights" or feel safe.
Before I made plans to leave the country, because I am transitioning to female, I was planning on getting a gun to protect myself. I don't need it to be free, I really don't want to carry one, but gun violence and violence against the GLBT community in America, especially against the Ts, that some sort of protection beyond mace is needed. But then I realized it would probably be better just to go somewhere where people don't shoot and kill each other on a regular basis, and where transsexuals have some degree of legal protections. And with the spike in violence where I live, I am happy to say this is my final full year in America, and by this time next year I'll be in Canada.
Absolutely. We do have the occasional gun rampage by a mental defective, but nothing like the frequency in a country like the US.
We can't even get laws passed to keep guns out of the hands of violent criminals and those with severe mental illnesses without people like the NRA screaming the gub'mint is coming for our guns. Even trying to enforce bans on ivory trade get "Der tekin' ur gunz!" from the NRA. But then again, this is the land where some genius got the bright idea to let a little kid fire a full sized Uzi. It turned out to be fatal for the instructor.
I was trying to remember our last gun rampage........ and failed.
I wish I could fail to remember the last gun rampage here. And very sadly, out of all the deadliest shootings in America, most of them have been at a school, either public (primary/elementary through high school) or at college.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Guns or more precisely, rifles, are legal in the UK. Admittedly one needs to jump through hoops backwards to obtain a license but they are legal.

In france, as a resident i can, once undergoing a psychological test walk into a sports shop or even some supermarkets and buy a gun

JJ50

I am so very glad I live in the UK where it is illegal to own a gun for protection. I hope they are never permitted, otherwise we would get like the US and that would definitely be a fate worse than death!:eek: