• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should gun ownership be legalised in the UK?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
sad you have such a low opinion of your fellow humans
Quick question. As an American what percentage of your fellow human beings do you think are so dangerous that they need to be locked up and kept away from society. Is it like 1%, or is it more or less?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Then why is nearly 10% of the American population currently locked up in prisons?
How the hell would I know?

Perhaps you forgot your own question?
As an American what percentage of your fellow human beings do you think are so dangerous that they need to be locked up and kept away from society. Is it like 1%, or is it more or less?​

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
How the hell would I know?

Perhaps you forgot your own question?
As an American what percentage of your fellow human beings do you think are so dangerous that they need to be locked up and kept away from society. Is it like 1%, or is it more or less?​
I am not an American. And I don't tend to trust them, at least not with guns.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I am not an American. And I don't tend to trust them, at least not with guns.
What I find most interesting is how many gun permits/licenses there are and thus how many people are legally carrying handguns and look ma, no issues outside the occasional person freaking out because they saw a gun.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
What I find most interesting is how many gun permits/licenses there are and thus how many people are legally carrying handguns and look ma, no issues outside the occasional person freaking out because they saw a gun.
I wouldn't say there are no issues, there are some issues. In fact I would say there are an awful lot of issues.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
What unit were you in? I shot at the National Rifle Championships ( Bisley ) one year while I was in the TA - didn't win anything but it was good weekend!
I shot at Bisley! Lee Enfield No3.
And I was invited to represent England at the Montreal Olympics in 76 at 'running boar'. Couldn't go..... wife very ill..

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I shot at Bisley! Lee Enfield No3.

Quite exciting! I never got to use a Lee Enfield though, we had the 7.62 self loading rifle ( SLR ), an FN variant I think. Did you ever do falling plate?
Years later I joined a gun club to do target shooting, but I got bored as it was an indoor range and everything was much too close. And they used telescopic sights, what a bunch of sissies! ;)

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
BA0zxbT.jpg

What is the question: "Should gun ownership be legalised in the UK"? Guns are legal here. See the above illustration on UK rifle legality. Sure, you need a license for all of these, and yes, you need to cross many ts and dot many is: but what is wrong with this?
It would be absolutely reckless to just allow ANYONE to buy a gun. Could you imagine the devastation that would cause? Just look at America: around 33,000 people are killed by guns a year. This includes devastating school shoot-outs and terror acts.

Why allowing an on/off button for life to be freely bought and distributed by the masses is a "right" in a first world country is beyond me. There are more cons than pros for total gun freedom and that wraps it up for me.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Quite exciting! I never got to use a Lee Enfield though, we had the 7.62 self loading rifle ( SLR ), an FN variant I think. Did you ever do falling plate?
Years later I joined a gun club to do target shooting, but I got bored as it was an indoor range and everything was much too close. And they used telescopic sights, what a bunch of sissies! ;)

Hope you had a merrier Merry Christmas than me. I had the digusting-body variation of flu..... lovely!
Lee Enfield No 3 .303 with Parker Hale sight. I was badly advised and had a screw-in lens fitted to my sight to correct and an incorrectable level of astigmatism for my right eye (how daft is that?), and there-an-then decided to shoot left handed with specs because my left eye is better and I had always shot with it, left handed.
The 'experts' had told me to do the right-eye thing..... bloody idiots. I became quite good at working the bolt left handed.
I also shot Essex/Sufolk competition in small bore with a martini action and did quite well.
No... I never shot falling plate, but as mentioned earlier I shot running bore with some success. The targets traversed at two speeds, 15mph and 25mph, and the rifles were semi-automatic with telescope sight. Shooting left handed my left to right shots were just about perfect but right to left were my weakness. In fact .... for the rest of my life I would be very good at anything moving left to right....
Although right handed I shoot the bow, catapult, rifle and shotgun left handed, and shot pistol (70-80's) right handed. What a mess....... the joys of astigmatism.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
BA0zxbT.jpg

What is the question: "Should gun ownership be legalised in the UK"? Guns are legal here. See the above illustration on UK rifle legality. Sure, you need a license for all of these, and yes, you need to cross many ts and dot many is: but what is wrong with this?
It would be absolutely reckless to just allow ANYONE to buy a gun. Could you imagine the devastation that would cause? Just look at America: around 33,000 people are killed by guns a year. This includes devastating school shoot-outs and terror acts.

Why allowing an on/off button for life to be freely bought and distributed by the masses is a "right" in a first world country is beyond me. There are more cons than pros for total gun freedom and that wraps it up for me.

Good post.
One type of pistol which is allowed here is the black-powder can 'n' ball revolver. I watched some enthusiasts shooting these about a decade ago.
An American RF member unwittingly put finger on spot over all this, some time back. We were discussing cycling in fairly lighthearted way when he posted a deeply serious 'important point', telling cyclists to go in groups, with a long list of precautions to take during any cycle expedition. There's your difference. One of our neighbours cycles on her own daily to Canterbury using a disused rail-track ......now a cycle woodland ride. Could she do that in America? Nah! She'd need to be packing a bloody gun to even go shopping!
I would call that 'perpetual gun-trauma' :)