• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should gun ownership be legalised in the UK?

Ukonkivi

Anything can be a tool of murder if one intends it to be.
And for that reason, I say yes.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people!
People with guns kill people!
People with guns sometimes kill people.
People with knifes, forks, icepicks, baseball bats, poison, glass, fingernail files, scissors, bathtubs, jumprope, and frying pans kill people.

You can kill someone with a spoon if you add enough blunt force.

Ukonkivi

Oh, were you?
Well, in case you couldn't tell, I wasn't putting forth that philosophy either, and kind of mocking both common statements and responding to them.

I dearly hope that facepalm wasn't directed at me.

kai

ragamuffin
Anything can be a tool of murder if one intends it to be.
And for that reason, I say yes.

People with guns sometimes kill people.
People with knifes, forks, icepicks, baseball bats, poison, glass, fingernail files, scissors, bathtubs, jumprope, and frying pans kill people.

You can kill someone with a spoon if you add enough blunt force.

so do you advocate no weapons control at all?

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
I think a simple look at homicide statistics shows private gun ownership is a disaster where ever it occurs.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The British have been through a long process of moving from universal gun ownership to the present highly restricted one. Up to the second world war there were not many restrictions on gun ownership at all.
The biggest benefit has been that people are very rarely shot by burglars or robbers. It is now hardly a blip on the statistics for a member of the general public to be shot by a criminal.

Most gun crime is between members of the criminal world themselves, with the occasional crime of passion between couples and family members.

there is a direct correlation between gun ownership and gun crime, and accidental death caused by misuse of guns.

In a well regulated society wanting to own, or owning guns is a clear demonstration of a personality defect.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In a well regulated society wanting to own, or owning guns is a clear demonstration of a personality defect.
Well....your mother's a poopy head!
Now that this is out of the way, consider that we don't live in a well regulated society. Many would like us to be one, eg, more surveillance, more cops keeping us from selling loosies, longer prison sentences. I'm not comfortable with that.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I would hate for gun-ownership to become the norm in the UK. Many years ago I served as a machine-gunner in an Army Reserve infantry battalion, so I do know a little bit about guns.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would hate for gun-ownership to become the norm in the UK. Many years ago I served as a machine-gunner in an Army Reserve infantry battalion, so I do know a little bit about guns.
I agree that you Brits shouldn't be armed. At least OldBadger shouldn't be.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I agree that you Brits shouldn't be armed.

The Scots certainly shouldn't be armed. :p

th

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Well....your mother's a poopy head!
Now that this is out of the way, consider that we don't live in a well regulated society. Many would like us to be one, eg, more surveillance, more cops keeping us from selling loosies, longer prison sentences. I'm not comfortable with that.

The uk has less surveillance, very many fewer armed police. Less severe prison conditions and shorter sentences. And fewer armed criminals.
Arms are not part of the day to day expectation.

The only discipline that really works is self discipline.
A well regulated society is one that regulates itself, for the mosr part from choice.

Apocalypse-Now

En Sabah Nur

No, it's a stupid idea as much as it is anathema to the social norms and values of most British people.

Thank God gun ownership isn't legal at all in this country; and I hope it stays that way!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
It would mean the Government couldn't try anything stupid and it would also help the crime rates go down ..
THREAD:

It already is legalised! I know quite a few people who have guns. :)

But pistols and hand-guns? No.

I never feel at risk when I go out, anywhere, anytime, but if handguns were everywhere it would change my freedom and mindset considerably. :)

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
THREAD:

It already is legalised! I know quite a few people who have guns. :)

But pistols and hand-guns? No.

I never feel at risk when I go out, anywhere, anytime, but if handguns were everywhere it would change my freedom and mindset considerably. :)
sad you have such a low opinion of your fellow humans