• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should gun ownership be legalised in the UK?

Trey of Diamonds

It would mean the Government couldn't try anything stupid and it would also help the crime rates go down ..

I think giving guns to folks in Britian would lead to a lot of dead people. All these kids who now think they can bully people around would suddenly find themselves shot.

Phasmid

Mr Invisible
No it would not be a good idea.

We live in a culture of fear in this country and fear is what causes kids to carry knives, and this fear is what causes stabbings, and these stabbings are broadcast day in day out in the media and this causes even more fear and so on and so forth. Adding guns into this mix... that would be unwise.

It wouldn't mean more protection, quite the contrary.

It would mean the Government couldn't try anything stupid.

whaahhahaa
ye just like in america the goverment won't try anything stupid

and it would also help the crime rates go down (only if they shoot the people who say otherwise)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If you want to reduce the population of the UK by thousands of innocent people each year, guns would be a great way to do it.

kai

ragamuffin
It would mean the Government couldn't try anything stupid and it would also help the crime rates go down ..

Like what ? are you saying the government wouldnt try anything stupid(like what) because the population of the UK would be armed to the teeth.havnt you noticed peace in Northern Ireland where people used the ballot box instead of the Armalite?

and i am at a loss as to why the crime rates would go down?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Guns lul people into a false sense of safety. People think that just because they have a gun they're in a better position, however, if they're ever set upon by another individual, its like they have a gun as well. All guns do is exaccerbate the situation. Guns give you a criminal sentence for being "safe," they don't improve anyones chances of survival against an assailant.

Im quite happy knowing police in Britian are the only ones who are allowed to carry high powered weapons around everywhere.

Last edited:

Clover

Taoist & Shintoist Farmer
lol, I am not living in the UK, but in the end, I'd be neutral. I am glad that the government says "oh, you can have a gun, cause WE allowed you too" but even if they banned it here in the US, which I doubt will happen in my lifetime, I'd probably still be allowed ot have one, cause where I live, coyote population is at a growth rate, and they are very dangerous when they get in packs, and attack herds, so I'd probably easily get a legal right to own a rifle, it'd probably be some kinda hunting rifle, like a 30-30, 3006, or something, but it's a gun none the less.

I think giving guns to folks in Britian would lead to a lot of dead people. All these kids who now think they can bully people around would suddenly find themselves shot.

It's not as simple as that. A gun takes a lot of skill to fire, and kids are generally looking for the easiest way to do something.

No it would not be a good idea.

We live in a culture of fear in this country and fear is what causes kids to carry knives, and this fear is what causes stabbings, and these stabbings are broadcast day in day out in the media and this causes even more fear and so on and so forth. Adding guns into this mix... that would be unwise.

It wouldn't mean more protection, quite the contrary.

Whoever said "lies, damned lies and statistics"...? You can make stats say what you want and the likes of the Daily Mail squad do precisely this.

whaahhahaa
ye just like in america the goverment won't try anything stupid

and it would also help the crime rates go down (only if they shoot the people who say otherwise)

ONe of the reasons I admire the US.

If you want to reduce the population of the UK by thousands of innocent people each year, guns would be a great way to do it.

In the UK there is generally a culture of safe gun usage.

Like what ? are you saying the government wouldnt try anything stupid(like what) because the population of the UK would be armed to the teeth.havnt you noticed peace in Northern Ireland where people used the ballot box instead of the Armalite?

and i am at a loss as to why the crime rates would go down?

Northern Ireland is a special case- a mix of politics, religion and terrorism.

Guns lul people into a false sense of safety. People think that just because they have a gun they're in a better position, however, if they're ever set upon by another individual, its like they have a gun as well. All guns do is exaccerbate the situation. Guns give you a criminal sentence for being "safe," they don't improve anyones chances of survival against an assailant.

Im quite happy knowing police in Britian are the only ones who are allowed to carry high powered weapons around everywhere.

A well-trained gun user can use a gun as a non-lethal and legitimate means of defence. Chances are that a criminal could not do this.

Would you like to find evidence to support this?

I'll see if I can find something...

lol, I am not living in the UK, but in the end, I'd be neutral. I am glad that the government says "oh, you can have a gun, cause WE allowed you too" but even if they banned it here in the US, which I doubt will happen in my lifetime, I'd probably still be allowed ot have one, cause where I live, coyote population is at a growth rate, and they are very dangerous when they get in packs, and attack herds, so I'd probably easily get a legal right to own a rifle, it'd probably be some kinda hunting rifle, like a 30-30, 3006, or something, but it's a gun none the less.

Chances are that a gun ban in the US wouldn't happen, and here where I live, I can get a gun anyway.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

You can have a Gun if you have a licence,you can even have them at home if you have a Gun box,besides that you can buy illegal Guns but unless you carry one 24/7 whats the point.
Guns are not bad its the people who weald them that are the problem and if we had the same system as the US there would ,as has been said,a lot of gunshot victims here.

You can have a Gun if you have a licence,you can even have them at home if you have a Gun box,besides that you can buy illegal Guns but unless you carry one 24/7 whats the point.
Guns are not bad its the people who weald them that are the problem and if we had the same system as the US there would ,as has been said,a lot of gunshot victims here.

Chances are that the grand majority of people in the UK would be sensible. The majority of gun owners at present are sensible.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
I'm not sure how guns work in the UK...I know whenever I watch TV shows about British cops the cops never have guns on them (which is odd I would think).

There's really no reason to outlaw guns...I mean, sure, irresponsible people may get a hold of em, but as the saying goes "if you make owning a gun illegal then only the criminals will have them."

Having worked in a police setting, I think that a lot of problems would be solved if everyone were allowed to have a gun..obviously, there are risks to that, but there are risks to everything (like driving a car, or swimming at the beach, or walking outside etc etc etc)...

kai

ragamuffin
It's not as simple as that. A gun takes a lot of skill to fire, and kids are generally looking for the easiest way to do something.
what! a gun takes very little skill to fire , and kids can fire them very easily

In the UK there is generally a culture of safe gun usage.

In the UK we generally have a culture of NO gun usage.

Northern Ireland is a special case- a mix of politics, religion and terrorism.

So?

A well-trained gun user can use a gun as a non-lethal and legitimate means of defence. Chances are that a criminal could not do this.

lethal weapons are lethal

guns are manufactured for the purposes of kiling people and thay do it very well. the less of them on our streets the better.

kai

ragamuffin
I'm not sure how guns work in the UK...I know whenever I watch TV shows about British cops the cops never have guns on them (which is odd I would think). Actually its odd here to even see a gun

There's really no reason to outlaw guns...I mean, sure, irresponsible people may get a hold of em, but as the saying goes "if you make owning a gun illegal then only the criminals will have them." yes thats how we like it , if you have a gun your a criminal .

Having worked in a police setting, I think that a lot of problems would be solved if everyone were allowed to have a gun..obviously, there are risks to that, but there are risks to everything (like driving a car, or swimming at the beach, or walking outside etc etc etc)...

what exactly would be solved by introducing Guns into a society that has no history of personal gun ownership?

Mike182

Flaming Queer

Actually, there are specifically trained armed response teams dotted around the country, but the average plod on the street doesn't have a gun.

I'm not sure how guns work in the UK...I know whenever I watch TV shows about British cops the cops never have guns on them (which is odd I would think).

They're prety rare outside of the ART squads (Armed Response Unit). Tasers are the preferred weapon at the moment.

There's really no reason to outlaw guns...I mean, sure, irresponsible people may get a hold of em, but as the saying goes "if you make owning a gun illegal then only the criminals will have them."

Exactly.

Pretty much my point.