• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should God (OT) be feared?

Segev Moran

All across the bible, God and his messengers use fear and threats to force Gods ways on unbelieving people.
It was even so that God threatened Moses himself that if people will follow God's words they will not be harmed as God harmed Egypt.

This clearly suggests that the people of that time, who invented God, were "forced" to use scare tactics in order to "win" peoples minds.

How is it that all modern religions today, fail and "neglect" this fact with the excuse that this was not what God intended or that it is all just a God's metaphor to make a point?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I sadly feel the way you do when it comes to Scripture, especially the Old Testament.

The God I experience isn't like that.

I don't know how to answer your question and the Bible honestly sickens me in many places. I think the Old Testament is a thorn in the side of anyone who wishes to defend the faith. It is a total embarrassment and the God it paints is a cruel tyrant, not loving at all. In the OT God kills someone for steadying the Ark of the Covenant when it was about to fall. It makes me sick! :(

I hope you find the happiness you are looking for and complete enlightenment. I understand anyone's disgust for Scripture. It can be very ugly.

God bless you!

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
How is it that all modern religions today, fail and "neglect" this fact
Depends which: Christians based on a majority view, expect the promises within the Old and New Testament of a New Earth and Messianic Age to be fulfilled...Thus they expect God to destroy everyone, other than them.

Muslims do teach that everyone is going to burn by the same Old Testament God, they now call Allah...Except for them.

Jews on the forum can answer for themselves, as personally find their views are what you're referring to. :innocent:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
How is it that all modern religions today, fail and "neglect" this fact ...
How is it that you feel competent to make sweeping claims about "all modern religions"? It is simply preposterous.

I have participate in numerous Torah studies where the Reward-and-Punishment paradigm has been openly challenged. Your assertion of neglect is simply false.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Magneto: Are you a God-fearing man, Senator? That is such a strange phrase. I've always thought of God as a teacher; a bringer of light, wisdom, and understanding. You see, I think what you really fear is me. Me and my kind. The Brotherhood of Mutants. Oh, it's not so surprising really. Mankind has always feared what it doesn't understand. Well, don't fear God, Senator, and certainly don't fear me. Not any more.
[goes to activate his machine]

Repox

Truth Seeker
All across the bible, God and his messengers use fear and threats to force Gods ways on unbelieving people.
It was even so that God threatened Moses himself that if people will follow God's words they will not be harmed as God harmed Egypt.

This clearly suggests that the people of that time, who invented God, were "forced" to use scare tactics in order to "win" peoples minds.

How is it that all modern religions today, fail and "neglect" this fact with the excuse that this was not what God intended or that it is all just a God's metaphor to make a point?
I think it is relatively easy to understand, but not very acceptable. God requires obedience to His Commandments. The OT is full of stories about God's chosen people not obeying His commandments. In heaven, Satan became independent of God and we know what happened to him (it).

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student

Not all modern religions flow from the Old Testament. Hinduism, Buddhism, Wicca, Scientology, to name a few.

Segev Moran

I sadly feel the way you do when it comes to Scripture, especially the Old Testament.
Why sadly?
The God I experience isn't like that.
Is it a literally a different God? or is it a modified version of the Jewish God?
I don't know how to answer your question and the Bible honestly sickens me in many places.
Wow... Why is that?
I think the Old Testament is a thorn in the side of anyone who wishes to defend the faith.
Are you talking about the BOOK itself or about what people make of it?
It is a total embarrassment and the God it paints is a cruel tyrant, not loving at all. In the OT God kills someone for steadying the Ark of the Covenant when it was about to fall. It makes me sick! :(
But it makes sense. These were the times, and such were the acts of those people. How else would you expect the bible to be written?
The question is if you share my idea that any religion based on this book is made up by humans?
I hope you find the happiness
you are looking for
Thankfully I find a bit of it every day :)
and complete enlightenment.
Hmmm... Not sure about that ;)
I understand anyone's disgust for Scripture. It can be very ugly.
I am far from disgusted.
I Think the OT presents new and amazing social concepts that many of them are a great attempt to make society better.
I Just don't think it is an actual depiction of a God, rather a "God" that served as a tool for people to try and guess how societies should work to succeed.
God bless you!
No need ;) But thanks for the blessing :)

Segev Moran

Depends which: Christians based on a majority view, expect the promises within the Old and New Testament of a New Earth and Messianic Age to be fulfilled...Thus they expect God to destroy everyone, other than them.
You are of course correct.
Those are not included in my definition of modern religions. What i mean is socially modern religions.
Muslims do teach that everyone is going to burn by the same Old Testament God, they now call Allah...Except for them.
Again, not really modern.
Jews on the forum can answer for themselves, as personally find their views are what you're referring to. :innocent:
And same goes for all other religions based on the OT god :)

Segev Moran

How is it that you feel competent to make sweeping claims about "all modern religions"? It is simply preposterous.
I have participate in numerous Torah studies where the Reward-and-Punishment paradigm has been openly challenged. Your assertion of neglect is simply false.
In those studies, have you ever came to a conclusion that God could have gain faith in a different manner other then violence?
Or at least came to the conclusion that those violent stories are not to be literally taken?
If so, That a modern religion as far as I'm concerned.

I Refer to people who actually believe each literal verse of the bible is to be taken as is.

As far as I know, The Jewish religions finds many explanations that shed a different light on those stories and sadly some of those have not yet been modified.
same goes for every other religion.
Most of the Jewish people, will not think of stoning someone. this is not due to religion, this is due to modernization of the religion.

Segev Moran

I think it is relatively easy to understand, but not very acceptable. God requires obedience to His Commandments. The OT is full of stories about God's chosen people not obeying His commandments. In heaven, Satan became independent of God and we know what happened to him (it).
What will he require commandments? and were its demands changing overtime? why is that if so?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Why sadly?

Is it a literally a different God? or is it a modified version of the Jewish God?

Wow... Why is that?

Are you talking about the BOOK itself or about what people make of it?

But it makes sense. These were the times, and such were the acts of those people. How else would you expect the bible to be written?
The question is if you share my idea that any religion based on this book is made up by humans?

Thankfully I find a bit of it every day :)

Hmmm... Not sure about that ;)

I am far from disgusted.
I Think the OT presents new and amazing social concepts that many of them are a great attempt to make society better.
I Just don't think it is an actual depiction of a God, rather a "God" that served as a tool for people to try and guess how societies should work to succeed.

No need ;) But thanks for the blessing :)
I just think it's sad and heartbreaking that the Old Testament may be invented and used to scare people and that so many people read it and follow such madness and use it to judge and condemn and put fear into others.

I find it heartbreaking that God won't reveal himself to unbelievers, hides himself, remains silent, refuses to guide people, and that he has left us with such a book that deceives and divides people and contradicts itself. It disgusts me! :(

Regarding the God I experience, I usually experience his love through Mother Mary. I experience a gentle, tender, meek, forgiving, and humble God, nothing like the God I read about in the OT.

I'm not sure if every Religion based off of those books is made up by humans. I just don't know, but I've had too many experiences, visions, and strange coincidences involving a power greater than myself to ever be an Atheist.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think in wake of modern enlightenment on the subject, a paradigm shift has occured.

Less fear talk, more prosperity talk.

Repox

Truth Seeker
What will he require commandments? and were its demands changing overtime? why is that if so?
To begin, God proposed the Ten Commandants. Then, he commanded his chosen people to do this and that as indicated by OT stories. Assuming God doesn't demand obedience, how would it be? Many separate gods, many independent creatures, or many opportunities to be like Satan?

Last edited: