• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should God allow babies to be born with serious deformities or diseases?

Paraprakrti said:
Because you haven't fully surrendered, apparently. If you really are sincere then you will keep at it instead of thinking, "ok, I surrender... now what? Oh, nothing has happened. Forget about it."
I'm sorry, Parapraktri, I respect your views, but now you are losing credibility with me. 'Apparently' I 'haven't fully surrendered'? Gimme a break! I have not forgotten about it, I still want to be one with God, and I still don't want there to be evil. The problem has nothing to do with my supposed desire to be apart from God, the problem is nothing is happening. You said earlier that God only wants to fulfill our desires...that we once desired to be apart from God and let evil into our lives, and so God simply fulfilled our wishes. Well, I know for a fact that I do desire to not be apart from God and have evil in my life. How long should it take an omnipotent being to fulfill this? A year?

Its funny what people assume. No, you mustn't cease eating. If you want the answers to these questions that pick up a Bhagavad-Gita. You can listen to me or not, that is your choice. I am not saying anything of myself. I am only pointing my finger, "over there. That's where you may find answers".
You mean that book was written by God? That's strange, it looks like a man's handwriting...

God does tell you Himself but you have no eyes to see Him. The reason for this is because you originally wanted to be separate from God. And so God has covered Himself from you. Luckily for you, God has given various teachings in order for you to be able to see Him. You either accept or you don't. Either way, you are getting what you ask for.
Um, no, Parapraktri, I am most certainly not getting what I ask for. If God exists, I want to believe in Him, be one with Him, etc.--honestly, I do. So I'm asking you, since He apparently won't listen to me, please tell God that He can come out now in plain view, He doesn't need to encode Himself in ancient texts and manifest Himself in the words of fallible humans.

I respect Hinduism, but I see now it is just like most other religions--all your troubles are caused by you not conforming, and if you do conform, and you still have troubles, you clearly haven't conformed enough. :sarcastic

Two key words here: "sincere" and "surrender". How can you be sincerely surrendering if you are demanding that God take away all materialistic desires, destroy your material body and bring you up to heaven? This is your plague. You want to be in control. Seeking control is the very reason you are here.
So God will promptly fulfill our demands to be apart from Him and allow evil, but He won't or cannot fulfill my demand to be at one with Him and not have evil? Okay, so I won't demand it, I'll ask nicely: "I, Mr Spinkles, would really appreciate it if God were to take away my material body and my control and make me completely at one with Him, transcending karma, taking away all the evil in my life. Pretty please. " I hope that didn't sound too demanding, or that I wanted to be in control too much.

You are trying to be God yourself.
No, my friend--it is you who are trying to be God here. You are the one who claims to have absolute knowledge of things which are imperceivable to others. You are the one who thinks that it is possible to elevate yourself and become 'one' with God; you are the one who thinks that we are 'more' than this imperfect human form; and you are the one who claims to know God's nature and how we can acheive oneness with it.

God does not require favors from you. Why are you assuming that these things are favors for God? You require to do certain things because you are dirty and must be cleaned in order to transcend karma.
Whoah, hang on here! Now I have to be clean for God to fulfill my desires? Why does God need me to be clean to fulfill my desire to be at one with Him? Is He not able to fulfill my desires unless I am clean, or does He refuse to fulfill them unless I am clean?

How do I become clean, and how do you know that is what I need to do to be clean?

Call it what you want. Fine, its not the babies fault. "Damn those forces beyond our control. How come I am not God?"
I don't wonder why I am not God...I am not God because I am a human, and humans aren't God. You are the one who is trying to transcend karma and be one with God, remember?

The fact that you seek control at all shows that you seek to be God. If you will not accept a reason behind why some take birth with deformities then what more can we reason? I am not advocating that because everything happens by reason that we should live and let live in complete disregard to such things. No, we are going to naturally try to help others. There is nothing wrong with that. In conclusion you and I are going to act no differently in this situation.
That's true, which makes me glad. :)

Well, you are compassionate for the living entity on the one hand, but then you will deny it's spiritual existence on the other. What then becomes of the value of your compassion? For what exactly do you have this so-called compassion? Is it the left leg, or perhaps the torso? Please identify the object of your concern.
Easy--my brain. This is easily demonstratable. Give me certain chemicals, and I won't be compassionate anymore--I'll be a deranged lunatic. Give me some depressants, and my brain chemistry will cause me to feel extremely compassionate and depressed. How you feel is therefore inextricable tied with your physical brain. "Value" is a subjective term that is not based on logic...it is not dependent on whether or not something has a soul, it is only dependent on how I feel about it. If I feel something has value, it does.

And even if science is able to competely avoid birth defects, we still have so many other various problems. Can we possibly solve them all? Often times by trying to solve one another comes up. We're playing a game we can't win. The game is called, "Let's Try Being God".
Earlier you said we should try to help others. Now you say that by trying to solve problems and help people using science, we are playing God. So, should we or should we not try to help people? :confused:

These babies in the dark ages are of course results of karma. The babies that are born in modern times are also a result of karma. The facility to make better medicine is karma. The situation of possibly being born into a family that cannot afford good health care is also due to karma.
So you're saying the people who died right before the Dark Ages must have been much worse people than people nowadays, because they were reincarnated as deformed babies and that happens less often today....?

Who is advocating this? We can help others.
We can? I thought that would constitute a game of "Let's Try Being God".