• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Doctors Be Allowed to Prescribe Medical Marijuana?

Should Doctors Be Allowed to Prescribe Medical Marijuana?

• Yes - doctor's discretion

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • Yes - but only after trying other treatments first

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No - at least not now...do some more research

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - not under any circumstances

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
US Supreme Court Rules Against Pot for Sick People

I don't think the Supreme Court made the right decision for two big reasons. First, I support the medical use of marijuana. Heck, I support its decriminalization, but we discussed that in another thread.:p Second, I believe '...states should be allowed to set their own rules. Under the Constitution, Congress may pass laws regulating a state's economic activity so long as it involves "interstate commerce" that crosses state borders. The California marijuana in question was homegrown, distributed to patients without charge and without crossing state lines...'

Interestingly for people who follow the Supreme Court, in this 6-3 ruling, the 3 dissenting Justices were Sandra O'Connor, William Rehnquist, and Clarence Thomas. These 'Conservative' Justices voted on the side of states' rights while Scalia and Kennedy voted for the power of the Federal Government.

There are ots of issues surrounding this decision. Tackle 'em all, or pick the one you feel strongest about.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
while i do feel that marijuana can be used to for certain, limited, medicinal purposes, i feel it's a little like prescribing Tequila shots for migranes...

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Druidus said:
What about anorexics? You can get mighty hungry with marijuana.
actually i've found that if you get high and DON'T eat you lose weight! At least it worked for me..wait what?!:eek:
you didn't hear that:p

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
The therapeutic effects of marijuana use for medical conditions such as glaucoma, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and multiple sclerosis are known to be better than other classic medication.

A doctor treating sufferers of the above coditions should, in my mid, be permitted to prescribe Marjuana.:)

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
jewscout said:
actually i've found that if you get high and DON'T eat you lose weight!...
I didn't think this was possible.:biglaugh:

Two interesting snippets from the article:
Justice John Paul Stevens wrote in the majority opinion that '...Congress could change the law to allow medical use of marijuana...'

John Walters, director of National Drug Control Policy said '..."Our national medical system relies on proven scientific research, not popular opinion. To date, science and research have not determined that smoking marijuana is safe or effective...".

Since several states OKed Medical Marijuana, might there be enough support in Congress to change the Federal Law?

TrueQ

Yes, marijuana should be legal for medicinal purposes, Hell, marijuana should be legal for recreational purposes! To tell you the truth, I'm not entirely clear on the reason why marijuana is illegal in the first place. Its not harmful to health, at least, its less harmful than other, legal drugs. It doesn't really support terrorism or any of that nonsense they pushed down our throats with those commercials a few years ago, since, if it were legal, homegrown supply would (more or less instantly) explode to unbelievable heights. Certainly, it impairs people's abilities to operate machinery but again, no more than alcohol, and everybody knows "Don't drink and drive". It seems like the only even halfway legitimate reason for weed to be illegal is that the government wants to keep the populace away from enjoying life to the full. Which is an idiotic reason to do anything.

Maybe someone can make it clear for me, why is weed illegal in the first place?

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
As a political platform, vilifying marijuana was good. If someone needs an enemy, to get close to the public; to allow the public to identify with them, they will look first for real threats, then for nonexistent threats that can be made to seel like real threats. Marijuana was the latter.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Druidus said:
As a political platform, vilifying marijuana was good. If someone needs an enemy, to get close to the public; to allow the public to identify with them, they will look first for real threats, then for nonexistent threats that can be made to seel like real threats. Marijuana was the latter.
there was also a huge racial stigma attatched to it...which was one of the early reasons for local outlawing of marijuana (and cocaine) in the early 20th century...

M

Majikthise

Seems like a lot of people who are against anything to do with marijauna are more paranoid than those who use it. Congradulations to The Man.

This really sucks.:(

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Another blow for states rights. Say what you like about whether MJ should be legal or not, this case says more about what kind of power the Federal Government has over our individual state governments. I disagree with the decision, but I am against the legalization of marijuana. How screwy is that?:confused:

ch'ang

artist in training
in my mind there is really no reason to outlaw MJ, i don't understand why people don't want it legalized the goverment could make a lot of money off of it. Also for the whole states rights deal it's really what i expected the federal governmet can control anything it wants

TrueQ

*chuckle* I wouldn't quite say the government can control what it wants. Weed may be illegal, but I've travelled to many places, and I've never set foot in a big city or a small town that didn't have a healthy market for weed out in the streets. And practically every place I've been has had a good bit of the stronger stuff for sale to those who know where to look. Drug culture is alive, healthy, and thriving all over the globe, which is quite uplifting for me, Big Brother doesn't have half the influence most people think he does.

But lets consider, if what I said is true (And I believe it is), then it should easily be possible for the citizenry to get together and make a strong case for legalization. I'm vehemently apolitical, and this is one of the few things I'd offer my time and effort to help fight for. It really makes me wonder how many other people are out there who would do the same thing. In fact, if I wasn't so sure that I am precisely the wrong person for the job, I'd start up a lobby group myself. All we need is a pothead with a little political savvy to rally behind, then the marijuana will be legal and times will be good, or better than they were, anyway.

*sigh* One of these days it'll happen.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
ch'ang said:
in my mind there is really no reason to outlaw MJ, i don't understand why people don't want it legalized the goverment could make a lot of money off of it. Also for the whole states rights deal it's really what i expected the federal governmet can control anything it wants
Maybe you'd like to look at This link

When prescribed by competent doctors, in correct doses, I agree totally with Captain X that MJ has a lot to offer; however, when taken as a recreational drug it IS Dangerous.:)

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Michel, I think it's funny that we agree on so much, but not this. :p

Allow me to refute your information:
Effects of Marijuana on the Brain
[font=verdana, geneva, tahoma, arial][size=-1]Marijuana produces immediate, temporary changes in thoughts, perceptions, and information processing. The cognitive process most clearly affected by marijuana is short-term memory. In laboratory studies, subjects under the influence of marijuana have no trouble remembering things they learned previously. However, they display diminished capacity to learn and recall new information. This diminishment only lasts for the duration of intoxication.

[/size][/font]
Effects on the Lungs
Marijuana has far less crap in it than cigarettes. Besides this, no one smokes pot enough to get as much tar in their lungs as a regular smoker. Most pot smokers do it maybe three or four times a week. Usually not more than five. If Marijuana is illegal for this reason, make tobacco illegal too.
Effects on Heart Rate and Blood Pressure
My, isn't that site run by geniuses. Of course your heart rate will increase when you smoke pot and snort coke at the same time! However, it is also true that marijuana may effect the cardiovascular system during the time of intoxication. However, so does alcohol, tobacco, and even advil pills. Make these illegal if marijuana is illegal for this reason.

Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior
Heavy smokers also have brain impairments. Regardless, Carleton University of Ottawa did a study showing that mild to moderate usage of marijuana can actually increase your IQ several points, whereas heavy usage wil decrease it seven points. Much like aspirin is good for headaches in small amounts, if you take too many pills, your headache will be far worse.

Effects on Pregnancy
Any drug use can effect a mother's pregnancy. I would advocate using no drugs during pregnancy.

Addictive Potential
This is bull****. My friend quit weed because it's too expensive. He quit just like that. One day, he went off, no more weed (at least till he gets to Ottawa). So far, it's been six months. He still hasn't managed to quit smoking tobacco, though his mother promised him two grand if he did. Which is more addictive?

[font=verdana, geneva, tahoma, arial][size=-1]Most people who smoke marijuana smoke it only occasionally. A small minority of Americans --less than one percent - smoke marijuana on a daily or near-daily basis. An even smaller minority develops dependence on marijuana. Marijuana is not physically addictive.

If you make marijuana illegal for these reasons, both tobacco and alcohol should also be illegal. Marijuana is far less damaging to the body or mind than either of them.
[/size][/font] [font=verdana, geneva, tahoma, arial][size=-1][/size][/font]

Crystallas

CaptainXeroid said:
John Walters, director of National Drug Control Policy said '..."Our national medical system relies on proven scientific research, not popular opinion. To date, science and research have not determined that smoking marijuana is safe or effective...".
This John Walters guy cracks me up. Why not say "Political voting is ineffective because it relies on popular opinion, and not scientific research. To date our educational system has scientifically not been proven safe or effective. Masturbation relies on smoking marijuana, and has no proof of being relied on by our national medical system."

I mean I can see some good arguments being made to favor what the old farts in congress want to do. But why would the Director of the NDCP say something to avoid the topic so much? Hmmmm, is he one of their human guinea pig?

good post CX

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Crystallas said:
...Why not say "Political voting is ineffective because it relies on popular opinion, and not scientific research...
:D Nice! Frubals to you!

I must say I've learned a lot from these posts and links. I came in with the assumption, like, Mr. Mackey on South Park says that 'Drugs are bad. Marijuana is bad.' I believed the urban legend that pot smoking lead to burn-out, but the studies don't support that.

I find it particularly curious that Marijuana plants are 'more' controlled than the raw materials for opium and cocaine.:confused: I guess the Feds associated pot with all those trouble making Vietnam war protesting hippies back in the 1960's, and most the people on Congress today blame pot for the crazy things they did as young adults.:p Why else would they quash a story like this one: Pot shrinks tumors, government knew in 1974 I dunno.

If this ruling really bugs anyone, write your Congressman and Senators and tell them to change the law. It may not happen immediately, but if enough people keep the pressure on Capitol Hill, they may address it one day.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
CaptainXeroid said:
I find it particularly curious that Marijuana plants are 'more' controlled than the raw materials for opium and cocaine.:confused: I guess the Feds associated pot with all those trouble making Vietnam war protesting hippies back in the 1960's, and most the people on Congress today blame pot for the crazy things they did as young adults.:p Why else would they quash a story like this one: Pot shrinks tumors, government knew in 1974 I dunno.
Because you cannot patent a plant. This is why they would squash a story like that.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
I found a nice Marijuana time line On a PBS website! It was pretty enlightening. I think the government gone too far and it would be a huge blow for them just say "oops we made a mistake, we should have just left things the way they were".
PBS said:
In 1619 the Virginia Assembly passed legislation requiring every farmer to grow hemp. Hemp was allowed to be exchanged as legal tender in Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Maryland. Domestic production flourished until after the Civil War, when imports and other domestic materials replaced hemp for many purposes. In the late nineteenth century, marijuana became a popular ingredient in many medicinal products and was sold openly in public pharmacies.