• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should couples be allowed to choose the sex of their children?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,564-1732540,00.html

August 17, 2005

Should couples be allowed to choose the sex of their children?
Under a radical overhaul of the fertility laws being considered by the Government couples could choose the sex of a baby to balance their families. Sex selection was outlawed except for medical reasons less than two years ago after a Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA) consultation found 80 per cent public disapproval. Should the ban be lifted? Do parents have the right to play God? Send us your view using the form below

This justification of "balancing" families is pretty spurious. Either it's okay for parents to choose the sex of their children, or it's not. There is no ethical or logical distinction between wanting a girl because you've got three boys already, and wanting a girl full stop. This is nothing more than one of those New Labour third ways that strikes an irrational compromise in an attempt to please as many voters as possible. Sarah Przybylska, Chelmsford
It is amazing that laws allowing parents to physically manipulate their child should even be suggested, let alone passed. What does it say about the love of a parent to know that they would not have accepted you unquestioningly? We're not talking about the paint colour on a car or the fabric of the seats, but a human being, something inviolable. Gender selection will only be the beginning. There can be no doubt that those parents who are actually willing to do this to their children would be more than happy to go further and choose other physical characteristics, thus creating for themselves their own so-called perfect person. And what about those who are not "perfect"? How is it possible to prevent them from being treated as inferior? Name and address withheld

What do you all feel about this ?- I know it is a very emotive subject......

The above link even has an online voting system, for anyone who feels strongly enough.:)

alowyn

In today's world, where we still have societies in which there is still not enough equality between the genders, i disagree. We're suddenly going to come to a drastic shortage of one gender vs. the other. Even in the Western society, where there is, more or less, a balance, i get the feeling that most people would prefer to have girls. So, if these people were given a specific choice, even though they wouldn't have minded had it just turned out either one, would be tempted to use this choice and go for girls. Already there are more girls than guys in the world (check the polygamy thread), so this imbalance will be made worse.

The Black Whirlwind

theres a big cultural gendercide against girls in China, and there is an old poem there that goes something like this: If you have a girl, clother her in rags, and give her broken tiles with which to play. If you have a boy, clothe him in fine silks, and give him fine toys with which to play. And Chinese people who usually have girls will kill them or throw them away. I think in places like that, it should be legal.

emetib47

it's kind of sureal. like designer babies as was previously stated. i mean in places it should be legal like china but other places no because there will become to much of a gap inbetween the ratios of males and females. And i have a question. If people can chose the sex of their baby/ babies what's next after that being able to chose their eye colour and hair colour... it's sureal.

I believe that is should not be allowed because if God wants a boy to be here a boy will be here or a girl. You can try to pick it but Godn can change any design

-The Prophet