• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should condoms be handed out

Messianic Israelite

The Bible teaches against illicit sex, but nowadays sex education in schools makes no distinction between sex within and without marriage. I understand that the reasoning behind handing out condoms is the argument that young people are going to have sex anyway outside of marriage, so why not ensure they are having sex "safely", but is that necessarily true. Is it true that young people would have sex anyway. I'm certain that this isn't the case for all young people, even though in this generation sex outside wedlock is commonplace. The Messiah constantly referred to his generation as an 'evil and adulterous generation' (Mark 8:38) but today people are committing adultery to the point that it isn't even considered to be sin anymore.

Yesterday, a news article came out which stated that a new scheme in Brighton is being initiated to hand out free condoms to under 25 year olds. The C-Card scheme - as it is known - which was launched last month is designed to encourage young people to become 'clued up on safer sex'. All you need is a C-card and you can pick up free condoms, lube and femidoms.

Some would argue, myself included, that handing out condoms for free is encouraging people to break the commandments, especially to have sex outside of marriage. Historically, the term coined used to describe people who were cohabitating and having sex not within the confines of marriage is 'living in sin' and this is true.

What are your thoughts about handing out condoms?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Bible teaches against illicit sex, but nowadays sex education in schools makes no distinction between sex within and without marriage. I understand that the reasoning behind handing out condoms is the argument that young people are going to have sex anyway outside of marriage, so why not ensure they are having sex "safely", but is that necessarily true. Is it true that young people would have sex anyway. I'm certain that this isn't the case for all young people, even though in this generation sex outside wedlock is commonplace. The Messiah constantly referred to his generation as an 'evil and adulterous generation' (Mark 8:38) but today people are committing adultery to the point that it isn't even considered to be sin anymore.

Yesterday, a news article came out which stated that a new scheme in Brighton is being initiated to hand out free condoms to under 25 year olds. The C-Card scheme - as it is known - which was launched last month is designed to encourage young people to become 'clued up on safer sex'. All you need is a C-card and you can pick up free condoms, lube and femidoms.

Some would argue, myself included, that handing out condoms for free is encouraging people to break the commandments, especially to have sex outside of marriage. Historically, the term coined used to describe people who were cohabitating and having sex not within the confines of marriage is 'living in sin' and this is true.

If you're not being forced to take condoms, your religious beliefs have been accommodated.

It's not your place to impose your personal beliefs on others, especially not when it's a matter of public health. Anyone who believes as you do can just not take the condoms.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
@Messianic Israelite - something to consider:

As someone who believes in accountable democracy, I demand a say in the rules, laws, and policies that I have to live under.

If public policy were to be dictated by the tenets of your religion, then I - an irreligious atheist - would demand a say in your religion.

Is this really what you want to see happen? Do you think your religion will be made better or worse by the influence of people like me?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Historically, the term coined used to describe people who were cohabitating and having sex not within the confines of marriage is 'living in sin' and this is true.
This is historically true only in recent history. In biblical times having sex *was* the marriage. But that's neither here nor there. We don't live in historical times. We live in the present, where the best qy to curb unwanted pregnancies and STDs is to make sex education and contraceptives accessible and available. Making them cost more doesn't encourage celibacy any more than making them unavailable at all does. It just punishes poorer people who can't afford regular contraceptive use.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, definitely they should be handed out. What some religion teaches is irrelevant. If you're opposed, don't take one but you should have no right to block sexual healthcare for others. Also, I have my own religion which is completely the opposite of yours in many ways. Concepts such as "sin" aren't a part of it.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I'm in favour.

Christianity has a long and inglorious record of trying to make people feel sex is sinful, when it is the most natural thing in the world. Historically there have been social reasons for this, of course, since bringing unwanted children into the world is highly irresponsible and can easily trap women, especially, in poverty and make it hard for them to find a permanent partner later on. But now that contraception is cheap, reliable and free of stigma (apart from the stigma some churches, including my own, try to attach to it), these reasons cease to be valid. What is sinful nowadays, is the irresponsibility of having of unprotected sex, when contraception is so easily available. There is just no excuse for it.

By the way, the Ten Commandments only prohibit adultery. The young people we are talking about here are not married so they are not adulterers.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Sex happens, it happened a long, long, long time before religious was ever thought of. What right has religion got to limit nature?

Time and money would be much better spent in educating people about safe sex rather then pushing it underground

pearl

It is society's responsibility to manage public health.

I agree. It is not up to the public schools to teach morality. Many churches have a sex education program which teaches Human Sexuality: A Catholic Perspective for Education and Lifelong Learning. the same physiology but with the moral component. Of course it became controversial. As far as the Bible is concerned the Song of Solomon clearly does not condemn sex.

ChristineM

Premium Member
If you don't want to have "illicit sex" no one is forcing you to (hopefully). You could even pick up some condoms and never use them. Bear in mind that if you do so that will be seen as success by the people behind this program.

So yes to free condom distribution.

If you dont use them, keep an eye on the use by date... Just in case, you never know if you will need them

ChristineM

Premium Member
I agree. It is not up to the public schools to teach morality. Many churches have a sex education program which teaches Human Sexuality: A Catholic Perspective for Education and Lifelong Learning. the same physiology but with the moral component. Of course it became controversial. As far as the Bible is concerned the Song of Solomon clearly does not condemn sex.

Why us it not up to public schools to teach children?

What fave churches the right to dictate morality, it is after all, a human (and some animals) concept that existed long before churches.

If churches feel they need to educate on non religious matters they would do well to stick to the curriculum and not impose their own biases

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It may not be up to schools to teach morality, but it is the domain of schools to teach facts about science and health. Obviously many parents are horrible at teaching their children about sex, which produces messed up kids who have no idea what they're doing. There's people who have HIV who got it because they weren't taught the facts about it and didn't know how to protect themselves. Since so many parents are too stupid, schools must do it for them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I suppose, if a guy can't afford a condom, about $0.60. Though I'd think a guy who can't afford a condom ought to focus on something besides keeping his willie happy.

pearl

Why us it not up to public schools to teach children?

Public schools do not teach morality, it is not their responsibility nor within their authority, and for good reason, whose morality would they teach?

What fave churches the right to dictate morality,

That is the business of churches, to guide in matters of faith and morals.

If churches feel they need to educate on non religious matters they would do well to stick to the curriculum and not impose their own biases

That's a ridiculous comment, how one understands and lives her/his sexuality is a religious matter.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I agree. It is not up to the public schools to teach morality.
I'm not so sure. At the very least, public schools should instill values, character, and ethics.

... but religious teachings that are only justified by the fact that they're religious teachings really have nothing to do with morality, values, character, or ethics.