• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should churches in America be used as polling places...

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I've seen it in smaller towns but there didn't seem to be any nefarious reason to do so, it was just out of expediency because the churches simply had the most room and were better set up to allow it.

You can always mail it in if you feel someone is trying to psionically control yer brain I guess

tumblr_lfo0o5aUVl1qzr8nao1_400.jpg

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Where we vote might influence how we vote, Joe Blow might walk into a church and place he associates as the House of God and feels God is watching him vote now because this is God's House afterall. So if he is a switch voter, he might be more inclined to vote more conservatively than if he was voting at a gay bar or something. So many we should take into consideration that social environment does influence how people vote.

Milton Platt

...for public elections?

This is a common practice in Red states but not in California.

I think this is a Republican Christian Right strategy.

Does this practice violate the First Amendment?

Personally, I don't think any private property is appropriate for usage as polls.

Public elections belong in public places as public schools, police stations, fire stations, state college campuses, etc.

I like polling places to be on college campus especially because young American students and older students too can be exposed directly to the political process and might be more likely to vote if it is convenient to get to the polls.

I don't think Jesus Christ would like secular matters as politics in His Father's temple. We all know the money-changer/house of thieves story in the bible.

Not going to argue with your logic. I will say that they are used here in Texas. I haven't seen any issues, but it's possible they may arise from time to time. We also use schools an I think public libraries as well, I can see issues with polling at fire stations and police stations. That might interfere with public safety on the whole. You don't need traffic jams and a horde of people milling around a fire station.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I don't know.

How voting is done in my country needs an overhaul in general. Moving to weekends really isn't the solution to the problem. Low-income earners often are folks who have to work on weekends. Short of making voting day a paid holiday for everybody, there just needs to be more early voting options. Unfortunately, this is decided on a state-by-state basis and sometimes becomes a partisan issue because forcing everybody to vote on one day is a way of disenfranchising certain voting blocks.

In my country, we get to vote only in sundays and it has never been a problem.
It is not a holiday, but we have to vote so the employers must allow their employees to vote.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
...for public elections?

Personally, I don't think any private property is appropriate for usage as polls.

Public elections belong in public places as public schools, police stations, fire stations, state college campuses, etc.

I like polling places to be on college campus especially because young American students and older students too can be exposed directly to the political process and might be more likely to vote if it is convenient to get to the polls.

I don't think Jesus Christ would like secular matters as politics in His Father's temple. We all know the money-changer/house of thieves story in the bible.
Actually, God as involved in government from the beginning. The King was part of God's anointed positions for ruling, the Prophet for direction and the Priests for worship.

One government, three separate entities. Like America.

Terry Sampson

YOU GOT IT!! CHURCHES SHOULD NEVER EXERCISE THE RIGHT OF FREE SPEECH!!!! I say MUZZLE them ALL!!! :cool:

Amen!!!

• The Johnson Amendment is a provision in the U.S. tax code, since 1954, that prohibits all 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations from endorsing or opposing political candidates. Section 501(c)(3) organizations are the most common type of nonprofit organization in the United States, ranging from charitable foundations to universities and churches. The amendment is named for then-Senator Lyndon B. Johnson of Texas, who introduced it in a preliminary draft of the law in July 1954.
  • In the early 21st century, many politicians, including President Donald Trump, have sought to repeal the provision, arguing that it restricts the free speech rights of churches and other religious groups. These efforts have been criticized because churches have fewer reporting requirements than other non-profit organizations, and because it would effectively make political contributions tax-deductible.[1] On May 4, 2017, Trump signed an executive order "to defend the freedom of religion and speech" for the purpose of easing the Johnson Amendment's restrictions.
Muzzle non-profits. If they don't like the muzzle, let them pay taxes!!!

David1967

Premium Member

God knows these mega churches can afford to pay the taxes that go to repair the roads and other infrastructure that they too use. A very wise 'man' once said to "render unto Caeser that which is Caesers."

Kenny

Premium Member
Amen!!!

• The Johnson Amendment is a provision in the U.S. tax code, since 1954, that prohibits all 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations from endorsing or opposing political candidates. Section 501(c)(3) organizations are the most common type of nonprofit organization in the United States, ranging from charitable foundations to universities and churches. The amendment is named for then-Senator Lyndon B. Johnson of Texas, who introduced it in a preliminary draft of the law in July 1954.
  • In the early 21st century, many politicians, including President Donald Trump, have sought to repeal the provision, arguing that it restricts the free speech rights of churches and other religious groups. These efforts have been criticized because churches have fewer reporting requirements than other non-profit organizations, and because it would effectively make political contributions tax-deductible.[1] On May 4, 2017, Trump signed an executive order "to defend the freedom of religion and speech" for the purpose of easing the Johnson Amendment's restrictions.
Never stopped the church from talking truth in reference to specific items applicable to the Bible... but I know why Johnson did that... church is powerful!

Terry Sampson

Never stopped the church from talking truth in reference to specific items applicable to the Bible... but I know why Johnson did that... church is powerful!

"Specific items applicable to the Bible" malarkey. You know as well as I do, most evangelical Christian churches believe the Bible applies to everything and that they'll give even a whore-mongering president a "mulligan" (free pass) when it suits their interests. That's why I say: "Tax them!"

Kenny

Premium Member
"Specific items applicable to the Bible" malarkey. You know as well as I do, most evangelical Christian churches believe the Bible applies to everything and that they'll give even a whore-mongering president a "mulligan" (free pass) when it suits their interests. That's why I say: "Tax them!"

All not-for-profits?

And, yes, the Bible is all encompassing.

Why the anger?

dianaiad

Just churches?

But hey, you are quite right. people WILL give whore mongering presidents a pass when he is supporting their political goals. I'm really sorry that you can't get over Clinton, though. I mean, really...he hasn't been the president of the USA for nearly twenty years.

I mean, sheesh.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
...for public elections?

I agree with what you say. My polling place is a church down the block but I never go there as I vote absentee. Election days should be declared national and local holidays, as well. So stupid that they're not.

Jonathan Bailey

I don't think it's a problem as long as the church is not controlling the process in any way.

I vote at a clown school.

I once met a rude woman at a church where I went to vote. The woman was a crabby, dour old b_tch.

This was at some church in Boise, ID while I was living there in the year 2000.

At Christmastime, this church would post a sign out side saying, "KEEP CHRIST in CHRISTMAS".

Anyway, I made a long-winded introduction to this poll worker: "Hello. My name is Jonathan Bailey. I'm here to vote today."

She then looked crabby and said, "What??"

Then I repeated myself, " I said, Hello, my name is Jonathan Bailey and I'm here to vote today."

Then she said "hold on..." while she was looking up my address, name and such.

She did not like me at all.

Years, later while living in Boise still my new were polling place was the Student Union at BSU in town there on campus.

The younger women there were all smiling and cheerful. Of course, I kept my introduction simple by just saying HELLO and showing my precinct card remembering Old Miss Crabapple at the church years earlier. I think I insulted this old hick women by saying too much. These old hicks are slow and simple-minded. I've learned to just say a simple greeting and let the poll workers ask for more information.

The reason I told the bitter old bat at the church that I was there to vote because I wasn't there to pray. I didn't mean to insult her intelligence. That negative experience at the church has always turned me off to using churches as polls. Many crabby people are churchgoers. I've seen crabby-looking old Catholic priests years ago.

I had a crabby younger man with one earring working at Target "customer service" years ago. He got crabby because I returned the merchandise by immediately saying that I wanted my money back. Some store workers don't like to hear off the bat, "I want my money back."

Last edited:

David1967

Premium Member
YOU GOT IT!!

CHURCHES SHOULD NEVER EXERCISE THE RIGHT OF FREE SPEECH!!!! I say MUZZLE them ALL!!! :cool:

Teaching from the Bible is not prohibited. Saying "Vote for this Candidate, Jesus likes him better" on the other hand is, when said entity enjoys the free ride from the government which is tax exemption.

PureX

Veteran Member
I once met a rude woman at a church where I went to vote. The woman was a crabby, dour old b_tch.

This was at some church in Boise, ID while I was living there in the year 2000.

At Christmastime, this church would post a sign out side saying, "KEEP CHRIST in CHRISTMAS".

Anyway, I made a long-winded introduction to this poll worker: "Hello. My name is Jonathan Bailey. I'm here to vote today."

She then looked crabby and said, "What??"

Then I repeated myself, " I said, Hello, my name is Jonathan Bailey and I'm here to vote today."

Then she said "hold on..." while she was looking up my address, name and such.

She did not like me at all.
Yes, but that crabby woman was just a crabby woman. You might have run into her at any polling place. I've run into crabby old folks at the clown school I vote at, too, but they weren't associated with school. They were just election volunteers. Often the election volunteers are oldsters who are retired and so are able to man the polls during the day.

dianaiad

No te hagas pendeja. Who said anything about being impeached for lying about being a whore-monger? Not me. So don't put words in my name.

Not me. I didn't put any words in your keyboard. I was simply reminding you that the President who was impeached for lying about being a whoremonger was a Democrat, and that the Democrats were quite willing to give HIM a 'mulligan' for raping women and having sex in the Oval Office with an intern.

Now, while I'm quite aware that 'tu quoque' is a fallacy, I am ALSO quite aware that there is a very big 'mote and beam' thing going on here.

So, I have absolutely no respect for people who get all aghast at some biased article which calls a political opponent names, when you guys will allow considerably worse in your own representatives.

Hypocrisy doesn't impress me.

And CNN impresses me even less.

Oh, kindly do not use large type and red font. It's screaming.

And it's rude.