1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Should Churches be Allowed to Legally Discriminate Against Hiring LGBTQ Persons?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by Wandering Monk, Jan 10, 2021 at 10:24 AM.

1. 9-10ths_Penguin

9-10ths_Penguin 1/10 Subway Stalinist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,802
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    We have those here too, but it's about things like "we have the right to fire you if it turns out you're a Holocaust denier" or "if you're going to complain on Facebook about how awful your job it is, make sure your posts aren't public."

Any company that took the position that an employee brought "shame" to the company by having a same-sex partner, coming out as trans, having a child out of wedlock, etc. would likely find themselves on the nasty end of a Human Rights Tribunal decision.

2. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +25,961
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    In many states here, if not most, you can be legally fired for any reason without notification.

3. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,802
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    No, that's not what I mean.

Are you having trouble with reading comprehension, or are you deliberately misrepresenting what you're reading?

4. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,802
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    ... which is garbage, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Meandflower

Meandflower Active Member

Ratings:
    +355
    Religion:
    Believer in God
    What do you mean then?

6. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +25,961
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Another reason I'm thinking about getting my masters and trying to go to Canada.

7. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +25,961
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    It does suck finding out your temp position is ending by getting a phone call while you're getting your shoes on to head to work.

8. Meandflower

Ratings:
    +355
    Religion:
    Believer in God
    You obviously think that when Christians discriminate against gays it is terrible but when Muslims or Hindus do it then it is not so bad?

9. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +25,961
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    :facepalm:

10. Meandflower

Ratings:
    +355
    Religion:
    Believer in God
    Explain please

11. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +25,961
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    It's that old saying about assumptions, and it's all in you.

12. Meandflower

Ratings:
    +355
    Religion:
    Believer in God
    Why only churches? Why do you not mention mosques, Hindu temples?

So you mean that all religions can discriminate except for Christians?

What is the logic of that?

13. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +25,961
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Because here it's largely churches fighting to discriminate against LGBT. We don't have many Hindus here, and Muslims don't have much political power here. But we are aware they do where the do have that power, and it's just as bad.
    That was never claimed.
    It doesn't appear it is on your end because you're making erroneous assumptions.

14. 9-10ths_Penguin

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,802
    Religion:
    None (atheist)
    That sucks. I'm sorry.

Here, there aren't really "temp" employees in the sense that the term is (AFAIK) used in the US.

You can have a fixed-duration contract, and when the contract ends your employment ends (unless they re-hire you), but if they end it early, you're generally entitled to severance pay and either notice or "pay in lieu of notice."

Any other employment arrangement is considered "indeterminate" and is handled the same as permanent employment: you're entitled to severance and notice/pay-in-lieu.

The only exception is termination with cause, but there has to be a real cause, and, unless it's super-egregious, a documented record of trying to address the issue with less harsh methods.

(And for an example of how high the bar is for termination with cause: my HR prof told us of a case he was involved with where a nurse was fired from a hospital for stealing drugs. The Human Rights Tribunal ended up ruling that the nurse was improperly fired, because the stolen drugs were for the nurse's drug habit, and the hospital didn't try to address the issue by sending the nurse for addiction treatment)

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. blü 2

blü 2 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,235
    Religion:
    Skeptical
    I find the philosophy of this to be very simple ─ discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation is wrong, all the way up to God (who dreamed up the differences in the first place).

I find implementing this conclusion to be much more difficult, much more political, therefore much more step-by-step. Some churches have spent [their donors'] untold millions opposing gay marriage, for example. My old team the Anglos/Piscos are in danger of becoming two different sects over this very question; in particular (so I read) the bishops of Africa are as anti-gay as whoever wrote Leviticus. It's not as though the US, rather ahead of the UK and Europe, don't have similar scenarios. As for the RCC, the difference between right-wing Wojtyła and Borgoglio is enormous, and the problem is, what happens after Borgoglio.

So it will, I think, have to be softly, softly. But as long as it keeps trending in the correct direction ...

16. Meandflower

Ratings:
    +355
    Religion:
    Believer in God
    Why do you think it should be illegal for Christians to discriminate against homosexuals but at the same time you believe that Muslims, Hindus, Jews should be allowed to discriminate against homosexuals?

Isn't it quite double standards to think that a specific religion is not allowed by the state to discriminate against homosexuals but that it is okay for all other religions to do so?

If Christians are to be denied by the state to discriminate against homosexuals, then all other religions should be denied as well.

17. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,067
    Religion:
    agnostic
    She never said that. If you keep putting words in people's mouth, you will be reported.

18. Meandflower

Ratings:
    +355
    Religion:
    Believer in God
    Do you think it should be illegal for Christians to discriminate against homosexuals but at the same time you believe that Muslims, Hindus, Jews should be allowed to discriminate against homosexuals?

Just a question

19. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +25,961
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Where did you ever get that I think it should be allowed? It certainly wasn't anything I said.
    Only when you erroneously assume I claimed that. And you've been told before you made this assumption in error.
    As I said earlier, if you serve the public you serve the public.

20. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,067
    Religion:
    agnostic
    No, I don't think that.

• Like Like x 2