• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Christians fast?

Fasting...

• Cool

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Nah

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Vee

Premium Member
I do intermittent fasting every day. It has nothing to do with being a christian but turns out that fasting is a practice mentioned in the Bible.
Fasting is the best thing I've ever done for my health. I would recommend it to anyone who can do it, independently of their religion.
Actually, I think fasting is the only practice the 3 main religions have in common: Jesus, Buddha and Mohammed all (reportedly) practiced it.

Grandliseur

Is it normal for Christians to fast and is it encouraged?
It seems to have health benefits. During a time of high fortitude, I did this for a while, every week one day off food. I know it is good for my diabetes, but ...
Bloody hard to keep up.

Instead, I try to walk 7 km a day when weather permits.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Fasting is supposed to be accompanied by mourning. That's what 'Prayer and fasting' means. Nobody does it anymore. Today people usually say it means something else or that simply skipping meals creates a spiritual channel that strengthens prayers. For example in the book The Spiritual Man by Watchman Nee we are told exactly that. He says that the 3 part being is 1. body 2. soul 3. spirit, that sometimes people tend to be psychic if they have a strong spirit and also says that fasting helps with prayer through weakening the body's hold. That is bunk I think. I think that if the fasting is not accompanied with mourning, then it is not prayer and fasting but is just fasting for health or fasting as an experiment.

HonestJoe

It seems to have health benefits. During a time of high fortitude, I did this for a while, every week one day off food. I know it is good for my diabetes, but ...
Bloody hard to keep up.
Given that pretty much everyone in the west eats more than we should or need to, I’m convinced that if you had the same reduction in intake but still spread evenly throughout the week, you’d experience the same health benefits. It’s like a lot of the complex fad diets out there; it isn’t eating or avoiding the specific type of foods a particular diet promotes that give the benefit, just that the additional effort and restrictions required lead to people eating less volume overall.

Grandliseur

Given that pretty much everyone in the west eats more than we should or need to, I’m convinced that if you had the same reduction in intake but still spread evenly throughout the week, you’d experience the same health benefits. It’s like a lot of the complex fad diets out there; it isn’t eating or avoiding the specific type of foods a particular diet promotes that give the benefit, just that the additional effort and restrictions required lead to people eating less volume overall.
With diabetes, this kind of diet limitation seems to have actual benefits and probably was the ancient people's way of controlling the tendency to have diabetes.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The early church fasted on Wednesday and Friday, although I believe is was a matter of skipping one meal on each of those days. I can't remember if abstaining from meat was involved. I'll see what I can find later today.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I do intermittent fasting every day. It has nothing to do with being a christian but turns out that fasting is a practice mentioned in the Bible.
Fasting is the best thing I've ever done for my health. I would recommend it to anyone who can do it, independently of their religion.
Actually, I think fasting is the only practice the 3 main religions have in common: Jesus, Buddha and Mohammed all (reportedly) practiced it.

I have two fast days a week. I chose Tuesdays and Fridays because they fit in with my schedule. I have nothing to eat from my evening meal the day before to my evening meal the next day. I drink black tea with a little honey to start the day and a lot of water....that helps me through the day. Going without caffeine at present gives me a headache so I will try to wean myself off it by drinking naturally low caffeinated tea and coffee.

Its a challenge, but the more you do it, the easier it gets. I want the health benefits so I intend to stick with this.

How do you fast intermittently?

Reactions: Vee

Vee

Premium Member
I have two fast days a week. I chose Tuesdays and Fridays because they fit in with my schedule. I have nothing to eat from my evening meal the day before to my evening meal the next day. I drink black tea with a little honey to start the day and a lot of water....that helps me through the day. Going without caffeine at present gives me a headache so I will try to wean myself off it by drinking naturally low caffeinated tea and coffee.

Its a challenge, but the more you do it, the easier it gets. I want the health benefits so I intend to stick with this.

How do you fast intermittently?

I do two meals a day, lunch and dinner, within a window of 8 hours max, and fast for a minimum of 16 hours a day. In between I only have water, coffee and tea with nothing added.
It was hard in the beginning but once I got used to it it became simple. Since I don't fell hungry anymore I don't even think about food during my fasting window.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Why do we call it a "fast" when while we're doing it time goes by "slow"?

Lunarious

I've heard as Homo Sapiens, we were hungry at times. So food deprivation is neccesary. Maybe its something muslims say. I don't fast and don't like to exert myself like cooking or eating, so i eat two meaks a day.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Is it normal for Christians to fast and is it encouraged?
I believe that Jesus by implication said Christians should fast. He said that after He was gone the disciples would fast. By implication this applies to everyone. Fasting really has nothing to do with health. It has to do with detachment from worldly things. Muslims and Baha'is fast. The fasting lasts from sunrise to sunset. Muslims do this for one lunar month. Baha'is do this for a Baha'i month, which is 19 days. If one is in bad health he should not fast.

Grandliseur

That is bunk I think. I think that if the fasting is not accompanied with mourning, then it is not prayer and fasting but is just fasting for health or fasting as an experiment.
I have looked at this issue once throughout scripture. The only thing I did find was that ancient Israel did fast; however, there are no regulations and no specifics for it.
Fasting to me then is not a matter of mourning as you mention, but a matter of clarity, of meditation on spiritual things, even doing this while taking a walk in the forest or along the lake to enjoy the spiritual things, the natural things God has given us -- a matter of joy. to me.

Faithofchristian

If you think you want to run fast do it, if not, then don't.

Whatever you think is right. If you think you can you're right. If you think you can't youre also right.

But that is not fast, fast is fast but if you fast does that mean you fast to fast, but if fast is fast, just how fast is fast. If I fast and fast is to be fast then fast is not as fast as fast unless you fast to fast but that's not fast which can be exceedingly fast if it's fast if I fast just how fast is fast. If you fast so how fast is your fast.