• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Christians celebrate Christmas

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Even though it is a pagan holiday...

No, it isn't. Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, and Pagans do not acknowledge that event in the manner that Christians do (syncretists and uncomfortable family obligations notwithstanding).

...and comes from pagan origins?

Yes, it does. Though considering all of the Abrahamic monotheisms have Pagan origins, this also means Christians shouldn't be Christians, right?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Deuteronomy 12:31 "You must not worship Yahweh your God in their way."

I think you're going to have a very hard time finding a method of worship that doesn't have a Pagan antecedent or parallel. In fact, I'm pretty sure one doesn't exist given how broad and diverse Paganisms are. This'd put you guys in the awkward position of not being able to worship your god. Personally, I'd concern yourself far less with what other people are doing and worship in the manner that you feel is fitting to your god and your community.

That, and if you abandon a cherished practice due to its perceived association with a group, what does that say about you? Shunning something simply because it is Pagan strikes me as rooted in bigotry and prejudice, sad to say. A very un-Christlike attitude, that.

Demonslayer

Who cares? Folk can celebrate whatever they want.

Not if some people's version of God is real. God, in many people's minds, is SUPER concerned about what people are up to with regards to religious worship and ceremony. I mean the first 4 Christian commandments are pretty much a super jealous God saying "pay attention to me and only me, don't pay attention to other me-like things, don't make fun of me, and give me one special day per week that is even MORE about me."

The Christmas tree could be seen as a "false idol" I suppose. And certainly the modern version of Christmas with the gross display of consumerism, spending, waste and gluttony pretty much goes against everything Jesus preached about.

I mean of course I agree with your assessment that people can celebrate whatever they want. But some of these people believe in a perpetually angry, judgmental God who gets mad at nearly anything you do outside of kneeling in worship and helping old ladies across the street.

I think you're going to have a very hard time finding a method of worship that doesn't have a Pagan antecedent or parallel. In fact, I'm pretty sure one doesn't exist given how broad and diverse Paganisms are. This'd put you guys in the awkward position of not being able to worship your god. Personally, I'd concern yourself far less with what other people are doing and worship in the manner that you feel is fitting to your god and your community.

That, and if you abandon a cherished practice due to its perceived association with a group, what does that say about you? Shunning something simply because it is Pagan strikes me as rooted in bigotry and prejudice, sad to say. A very un-Christlike attitude, that.
Christmas comes from sun worship holidays. We were originally suppose to worship on the Sabbath's but it was changed to Sunday because of Constatine I believe. He wanted to satisfy the pagans in his kingdom and Christmas developed into what it is now.

God said not to worship the way pagans do and you attack my character?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Christmas comes from sun worship holidays. We were originally suppose to worship on the Sabbath's but it was changed to Sunday because of Constatine I believe. He wanted to satisfy the pagans in his kingdom and Christmas developed into what it is now.

I'm aware of the history. I'm sorry you interpreted that as an attack on your character. Nowhere have you stated that you shun practices because they're connected with Paganisms, so that statement wasn't personal.

Demonslayer

Its suppose to represent the male genitalia. Do research on the sun god and bear breasted goddess. That's why we put balls on the tree. Do your own research. I could be wrong.

I'm not researching that, I'm too afraid I'd find out it wasn't true!

Skwim

Veteran Member

Hey, you were once a baby as well. Does that mean shouldn't sit on a toilet to poop?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Even though it is a pagan holiday and comes from pagan origins?
Personally think Revelations chapter 11 is talking about Yeshua, and Yohanan the Baptist, so the reason for 'when we give each other gifts, as we hated them'...

Is if anyone listened to Yeshua's teachings, we'd not have a day of happy capitalism between our rich friends; it would be a day of feeding the poor, and healing the sick. :oops:

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Even though it is a pagan holiday and comes from pagan origins?

No, Christians should apologise profusely and move their celebration to Saint Vladimir's day which is on July 15th. The weather is better then anyway. :p

PS Saint Vladimir was a pagan before converting to Christianity, but we can overlook that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forgemaster

Heretic
I agree with demonslayer, the Christian god is rather petty and self absorbed. The fact is Jesus wasn't even born in December, the Pope changed it so it coincided with the Pagan holiday, it has nothing to do with Chritanity at all, they simply didn't want people to worship the Gods. So I would say no they shouldn't celebrate Christmas because it has nothing to do with them

I agree with demonslayer, the Christian god is rather petty and self absorbed. The fact is Jesus wasn't even born in December, the Pope changed it so it coincided with the Pagan holiday, it has nothing to do with Chritanity at all, they simply didn't want people to worship the Gods. So I would say no they shouldn't celebrate Christmas because it has nothing to do with them
The only God is the Greatest and Most High. It wasn't't the pope who changed the rules, it was Roman Emperor Constantine. He combined Mithraism and Christianity to get the Christmas and Easter we have today.

Forgemaster

Heretic
Regardless, my history on that is rusty I'll admit, but the fact remains Jesus want born in December, and as far as I know the bible never states YOUR god is the only one, only commands that we are not to worship any other gods, such as mine, and as an ex Christian I must say that your god is just a petty child who wants all the attention but only wants servants and sheep