• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Child Marriages be Banned Worldwide?

Mike.Hester

Just recently a law allowing child marriage (at Puberty) to be legalized in Somalia has come under world scrutiny. The Religion of peace has been very silent with only international political groups reminding the Somalian Government of previous international agreements to preventing child marriages. Somalia is not the only country which acquiesce in child marriages. Should there be a worldwide ban on such a practice?
Bill endorsing child marriages in Somalia roundly condemned

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not doing well on child rights - FGM still legal I believe, and the country being the leader or one of the top countries where it is still the norm - 90% or so of females undergoing such?

It's a bit problematic as to child marriage, given that the AOC varies so much all around the world, and the age of 18 - that many would like to settle on - doesn't seem to reflect behavioral practice. That is, it might tend to criminalise too many.

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Just recently a law allowing child marriage (at Puberty) to be legalized in Somalia has come under world scrutiny. The Religion of peace has been very silent with only international political groups reminding the Somalian Government of previous international agreements to preventing child marriages. Somalia is not the only country which acquiesce in child marriages. Should there be a worldwide ban on such a practice?
Bills are not laws.
Is this passed in to legislation?

Heyo

Veteran Member
It's a bit problematic as to child marriage, given that the AOC varies so much all around the world, and the age of 18 - that many would like to settle on - doesn't seem to reflect behavioral practice. That is, it might tend to criminalise too many.
I see no problem. There may be different ages in different countries. Just make the marriage age the same as adulthood. (You're an adult when you are allowed to vote, drink and drive a car.)

InvestigateTruth

Ok, what about child having boyfriend or girlfriend? Should that be banned as well?

What is a child marriage?
If two 15 years old want to marry, should that be banned? What about if two 15 years old, want to become boyfriend, girlfriend? Why child marriage is worse than child boyfriend?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Is this one of your rants against Islam or Islamic culture?
Or was your question more general and count for every faith and culture?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Should there be a worldwide ban on such a practice?

Yes. Please contact the Prime Minister of the World and let them know that we at RF would like such a ban put in place. That way she can have the World Police enforce it.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
OK. Under 18.
Our kids 16-18 can marry quite legally with all parental consent.

We have a recent law 2014 which outlaws any marriages under that age. Any kind of sex is unlawful under that age.

Trouble is, a significant % of children in their early teens have sexual experience.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Should Child Marriages be Banned Worldwide?
Should there be a worldwide ban on such a practice?
Hypothetical: God exists and is perfect

Boys can make babies around age 10-12
God created all of this in this way

Why go against God's plan?
Ban child marriage?

Note: Maybe God created the option to conceive at age 10, just to exercise control (because if there is no challenge to control something, what is the challenge).

If that is the case, I think age 24 would be a great age. 14 years to exercise Self Control. Would also decrease world population as a bonus and thereby decrease world pollution.

Tambourine

Ok, what about child having boyfriend or girlfriend? Should that be banned as well?

What is a child marriage?
If two 15 years old want to marry, should that be banned? What about if two 15 years old, want to become boyfriend, girlfriend? Why child marriage is worse than child boyfriend?
In most countries, there is a bit of a difference, not only in cultural and religious terms, but even more strongly in legal terms, between a marriage and "just" being in a relationship with someone.

In practice, child marriages tend to be mostly legal with parental consent, and tend to be between a female minor and an adult man.