• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Actors Share Background Of Their Characters? Should Offensive Stereotypes Be Banned?

Pick yer option

• There should be no offensive stereotypes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Allow offensive stereotypes, but not abusive ones

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Actors should be of the same ethnicity as their character

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's acting folks...anyone can play anyone

Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Everyone has heard the controversy about Dan Castellaneta voicing Apu Nahasapeemapetilon.
Some south Asians are offended by Apu.
Some are offended that an Italian Americastanian is voicing him.
But Scots love Groundskeeper Willie.
And no one objects to Bart being voiced by a woman.
What say you, vaunted members of RF?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Apu is hated by some south Asians, but they are the only ones that we hear of. One must remember that shows like the Simpsons are equal opportunity offenders. One cannot claim that they are racist since they try to offend all races to some extent. It is not a sign of hatred in this case, it is a sign of acceptance.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I think it really depends on how it's done. It can definitely be distasteful. I can think of one parody situation that was handled well, though. Remember Tropic Thunder?

As for voice acting, it's just a voice. If you can pull that off, go for it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Everyone has heard the controversy about Dan Castellaneta voicing Apu Nahasapeemapetilon.
We live in a generation of butt hurt easily offended snowflakes.

Of course that may offend some snowflakes.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Wops are literally roasted in Family Guy and The Simpsons:D:D

I think in life you need to be self-ironic too, sometimes

If stereotypes are stereotypes, why should they offend you?

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
If someone is going to be offended, it should be about the script not the actor or actress.

Some complain that Apu is a sterotype. In what way is this different about the bad dad Homer, Lisa the brain, Bart the brat and so forth. They are stereotypes and that's a humor base for the series.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We live in a generation of butt hurt easily offended snowflakes.

Of course that may offend some snowflakes.
The butthurt snowflakes over NFL players taking the knee during the national anthem? Or the generation that got butt hurt over Alice Cooper? Or Marilyn Manson? Or those long gone generations that were butthurt over black face when it was common? Or Bush Sr's butthurtedness over the Simpsons being about a dysfunctional family, and all those butthurt parents who wouldn't let their kids watch it?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The butthurt snowflakes over NFL players taking the knee during the national anthem? Or the generation that got butt hurt over Alice Cooper? Or Marilyn Manson? Or those long gone generations that were butthurt over black face when it was common? Or Bush Sr's butthurtedness over the Simpsons being about a dysfunctional family, and all those butthurt parents who wouldn't let their kids watch it?

It's adorable how those who call others "butthurt snowflakes" tend to be the same ones who burst into tears at the sight of a flag or bible being burned.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Wops are literally roasted in Family Guy and The Simpsons:D:D

I think in life you need to be self-ironic too, sometimes

If stereotypes are stereotypes, why should they offend you?
I like to make f@g jokes.

I'm not good at telling jokes, because I am not as focused on the audience as a good comedian. But I enjoy telling them, because it so annoys the PC thought police. They wanna call me out for homophobia. But I am really gay, so I can tell f@g jokes and if they gripe they are being homophobic.

I enjoy a good Catch-22, sometimes.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's adorable how those who call others "butthurt snowflakes" tend to be the same ones who burst into tears at the sight of a flag or bible being burned.
I find it ridiculous that anyone would think it's somehow a new phenomena going on to come up with the idea of "butthurt snowflakes." Were they "buttburned sandflakes" when some Egyptians undoubtedly objected to Amon and Ra being combined into one? Were parents "hiphurt squareflakes" complaining about Elvis? What kind of hurt adjective was Ed Sullivan when it came to The Doors? Was it "flaghurt" when Rage Against the Machine performed on SNL? And how eager they always are to point the finger when someone else complains.

David T

Premium Member
Sanity rules on at least this poll.... Although I get butthurt about butthurt and I don't hate except haters. I really really hate haters maybe we should shoot them.... ok I am a pacifist..... Nuke em.. more humane.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sanity rules on at least this poll.... Although I get butthurt about butthurt and I don't hate except haters. I really really hate haters maybe we should shoot them.... ok I am a pacifist..... Nuke em.. more humane.
Nuke'm?
No.....write limericks about'm.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Like I said a butthurt snowflake generation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Like I said a butthurt snowflake generation.
So odd.
The underlined word is so oft used.
I only used it once (in the same manner),
but my post was deleted & I was warned.
So I dare not provoke the mods with it.
I've some theories & observations, but I'm
already treading on thin ice.