• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should a woman have to see a sonogram before receiving an abortion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Are abortion clinics telling women the truth that their fetus is just a few cells?

Should women have to look at the sonogram to make an informed decision?

UnityNow101

I believe so. The human heart begins beating at 5 weeks after conception which is when life begins in my opinion. If women were forced to see the sonogram before their abortion, maybe they would be able to make a more informed and logical decision. I believe that an abortion after the time when the heart begins beating is the killing of an innocent child. I know that many will disagree but it is just how I feel.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I don't want to make criminals out of doctors and women who are not ready to have a child. I don't feel that I can tell women what to do just because I feel a certain way about this issue. I do believe in womens rights, I don't believe they should have 9 months to make up their mind however. Any baby that could live outside the mother who is terminated, I believe this is murder.

Zephyr

Moved on
I'm not so sure about the whole making them look at the sonogram, but I agree with you on that thing about babies being able to live outside mothers.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I don't think it should be required, unless there's a sound medical reason to do ultrasounds before abortions. I'm trying to remember if my friend had an ultrasound before hers or not... I think she did, since the nurses said they could still see the tear in her uterus. I don't know if she was a 'special case' or not, though.

Either way, my friend's a poor student and couldn't afford to get it as it was. Her boyfriend had to pay for it. Adding pointless steps to go "lookit the fetus!" is just... well, pointless.

Ðanisty

Well, we aren't just talking about requiring an ultrasound...we talking about forcing the mother to look at it.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
How exactly would you force someone that didn't want to look? Pry their eyelids open? Make it illegal for them to get one without looking at it?

It's stupid arm-twisting either way you look at it.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
My ten week old fetus was sucking her thumb and was unmistakingly a tiny baby in my womb. I was actually expecting to see the same little lima bean that I saw at 6 weeks. No. Four weeks later...I had a tiny baby...

This is a stage where some women are JUST finding out that they're pregnant and choose to abort BEYOND this stage.

I do have little sympathy for those who electively choose to abort, with no medical justification. (Rape and molestation victims are completely different)

I think a woman should face what she's destroying. But I don't think she should be forced to view the ultrasound. I would of course, hope that she'd look at her unborn child moving, kicking...heart beating on the screen and have a change of heart.

But that's me. :)

jacquie4000

I don't think they should have to look at an ultrasound. How would you even determine who should look. One person could have been raped, another a mere 13 year old. There are so many reasons. You could not make a fair choice of who would have to view. People's views are varied on who should be allowed an abortion. And up until when they should have one. The time would be better spent on in depth counseling with the patient.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Reverend Rick: What medical professional would be telling a women her a foetus is just a few cells? "Just a few cells" might be a blastocyst or something but not a foetus.

UnityNow: What makes the onset of circulatory function more indicative of life than the onset of liver or kidney function? What makes this particular organ special? Is it the motion? There's nothing particularly magical or mysterious about that. Heck, the stomach and intestines move too.
I suspect the correlation of heartbeat with life developed because detection of a heartbeat or pulse is a quick and easy way to determine is an individual is dead, rather than, say, in a drunken stupor or coma.

Dawny: How would rape or molestation affect the propriety of abortion? Abortion, it seems to me, would be a crime against the unborn child, it would be executing an innocent for the crime of the rapist. Isn't a child of rape is just as alive, innocent and deserving of the life God gave him as a child of a loving marriage?
If the emotional distress of a rape victim is factored into the decision to abort, then, logically, the same would have to be taken into consideration for anyone who decided to abort.

In re: the original question, I'd have to agree with Danisty. It's emotional coercion.
I'd also question the advisability of promoting a strong emotional response in an individual with an important and life-altering decision to make.
Isn't the best decision most likely to be arrived at by reason and careful risk-benefit analysis? Drag the right brain into the processes and you might as well just flip a coin.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Dawny: How would rape or molestation affect the propriety of abortion? Abortion, it seems to me, would be a crime against the unborn child, it would be executing an innocent for the crime of the rapist. Isn't a child of rape is just as alive, innocent and deserving of the life God gave him as a child of a loving marriage?
If the emotional distress of a rape victim is factored into the decision to abort, then, logically, the same would have to be taken into consideration for anyone who decided to abort.

I feel strongly that abortion is wrong...period.

The only justifiable abortion, in my opinion, is the therapeutic abortion.

I do feel compassion towards those who become pregnant as a result of rape or molestation. I also feel strongly that abortion is unjustified in these cases.

I'm not concerned about logic. This is simply how I feel.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I really don't see the need to have a woman view the ultrasound. Doesn't make much sense to me. Depending on the time of the viewing it may be defeating the purpose of the people wanting it done. That is, if the woman just sees the amniotic sac, the yolk to speak of, then it becomes much easier to abort without the emotional baggage. My first ultrasound showed just that. A sac. You couldn't make out an embryo, certainly not a fetus since it was way too early for that.

And even if it was far along enough to start to make out an embryonic figure, the woman making the decision to have an abortion has already gone through a lot of debate and thought in her own head before coming to her conclusion of what to do. It can be a difficult enough decision to make. Already heart-wrenching without someone saying that she has to view her embryo before she can abort it. I agree with Danisty. Emotional coercion.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I'd support this as long as before you ate a steak you'd have to watch a video of the cow's life and slaughter.
I'd support this as long as before you put your shirt on you had to watch a video of the underpaid and abused worker who made it.
I'd support this as long as everytime you filled your car up with gas you'd have to watch a video of a polar bear drown.
I'd support this if everytime you ate a piece of fruit you had to watch a video of the worker who picked it laboring in the hot sun all day.
I'd support this if everytime you ate fish you would have to watch a video of a completely barren ocean.
I'd support this if everytime you sat down in your wooden chair at your wooden table you'd have to see a video of the wasteland that used to be the forest that tree stood in.
I'd support this if everytime you took your garbage out you'd have to see a video of overfilling landfills and wild animals choking to death on garbage.

I'd support this as long as you were guilt-tripped for every action in your life.

I am no fan of abortion- but women who are getting ones are not stupid ignorant little girls nor need to be treated like one. They are already going through a very difficult and emotional experience and I cannot fully express my disgust at measures to guilt them and make this time even more difficult for them.

Not to mention getting an ultrasound before an abortion is an unnecessary and expensive medical procedure and I highly doubt those who support this would pay out of pocket for all these extra, unneeded scans.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I'd support this as long as before you ate a steak you'd have to watch a video of the cow's life and slaughter.
I'd support this as long as before you put your shirt on you had to watch a video of the underpaid and abused worker who made it.
I'd support this as long as everytime you filled your car up with gas you'd have to watch a video of a polar bear drown.
I'd support this if everytime you ate a piece of fruit you had to watch a video of the worker who picked it laboring in the hot sun all day.
I'd support this if everytime you ate fish you would have to watch a video of a completely barren ocean.
I'd support this if everytime you sat down in your wooden chair at your wooden table you'd have to see a video of the wasteland that used to be the forest that tree stood in.
I'd support this if everytime you took your garbage out you'd have to see a video of overfilling landfills and wild animals choking to death on garbage.

I'd support this as long as you were guilt-tripped for every action in your life.

I am no fan of abortion- but women who are getting ones are not stupid ignorant little girls nor need to be treated like one. They are already going through a very difficult and emotional experience and I cannot fully express my disgust at measures to guilt them and make this time even more difficult for them.

Not to mention getting an ultrasound before an abortion is an unnecessary and expensive medical procedure and I highly doubt those who support this would pay out of pocket for all these extra, unneeded scans.

If that is what it would take to save one child, I would gladly do it. I don't feel guilty about having wood furniture. If it was exotic rain forest wood, that would be different.

I plant trees every spring and water them all summer long. I have some monster wood furniture.

Steak, no problem. I raise cattle and do the things you want me to watch. T-Bone....YUM!

Gasoline, do I really drown a Polar bear with every tank? I use a lot of gasoline and love Polar bears!

I wear American made shoes shirts under wear and pants. The fruit of the loom plant is close by to me and I buy seconds direct from the plant. Carhartt plant is about 150 miles away. Redwing makes my boots. I have a clear conscience there, even my sweat shirts and coats are Carhartt.

I catch my own fish. Lake Cumberland has great big fish. I caught one bigger than my Grandson last year. I donate to conservation efforts and our lake has a fishery that I am a supporter of. I volunteer time there as well.

Every year I participate in a lake clean up as well for a whole weekend.

I buy my fruit from an old man who has a stand and his own orchard that he has worked in for 30 years.

Our landfill is state of the art. We recycle and the waste is used to make electricity.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen

So, you equate human life to that of a fish? (Reading from one of your own analogies)

If that's the way you feel, that's your right but with all due respect, there SHOULD be guilt involved when you're ending HUMAN LIFE, especially if that life was created as a result of YOUR OWN negligence.

I don't care how intelligent these women are or how well they've thought the abortion process through. They're choosing to end life. Respectfully, I can't fathom how the value of animal life equates to that of human life. I respect your views but I really don't understand.

Further, isn't abortion often an unnecessary and expensive procedure? Too often, the pregnancy could have been prevented if these intelligent women made intelligent decisions before they chose to spread their legs.

Ðanisty

So, you equate human life to that of a fish? (Reading from one of your own analogies)

If that's the way you feel, that's your right but with all due respect, there SHOULD be guilt involved when you're ending HUMAN LIFE, especially if that life was created as a result of YOUR OWN negligence.

I don't care how intelligent these women are or how well they've thought the abortion process through. They're choosing to end life. Respectfully, I can't fathom how the value of animal life equates to that of human life. I respect your views but I really don't understand.

Further, isn't abortion often an unnecessary and expensive procedure? Too often, the pregnancy could have been prevented if these intelligent women made intelligent decisions before she chose to spread her legs.
I think you make a lot of assumptions about the women who are getting abortions. I know there are women out there that are irresponsible, but you'd be surprised how may aren't. Blanket statements like this bother me.

Should anybody see a sonogram or anything alse fo commit murder?
What?

Status
Not open for further replies.