• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should a Saiva carry Trishul with Pride?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste

Should we Saivas carry (or any and all Hindus are welcome to carry as well!) the trident or trishul at Saiva gatherings, politcal rallies, Hindu pow-wows.... and, what about just around the town and in the countryside to meditate as some Sadhus?

Seriously .. imagine a trishul club in the US of A and sport our religious as well as Second Amendment rights, where Hindus get together for a big vegie picnic in the park, and we all walk around sporting tridents! It would probably make the local news, or at least tempt others to join the club and become their inner Hindu that is awaiting to cover their forehead in ashes and love Shiva and Devi!

Are there temples that allow a layman to enter carrying a trishul? Yes, I mean right into the temple and sit down for darshan holding a trident?

I do not think it would be allowed in a local Siva Muruga temple in my area, but then again I am not sure? It may be considered an illegal weapon, but then again if it is part of religion then how can it be illegal in USA?

gallery_RAJASTHAN_28-15.JPG

I am thinking of purchasing a trishul, hopefully about 3 feet long and with the proper metals and nice points. A very rare one would be adorned with a cobra, but that would be very expensive. I looked on eBay, but they only had little decorative Shiva tridents for altars and silver jewelry trishuls. Where do Sadhus buy a trishul? Do they make their own? Anyone have their own trishul and if so, where did you get it?

$T2eC16VHJFoE9nh6oVUrBQJO!lOgpw~~60_3.JPG

Om Namah Sivaya

Me Myself

Back to my username
Just because you say it is part of your relign doesnt mean it cannot be ilegal.

Animal sacrifice for religious causes is (ironically and almost humorously) forbidden.

I would think you could at least have it on your home. I could understand it being ilegal, but also wanting to worship with it.

Do tell when you get to know more about this :)

Andal

resident hypnotist
Vanakkam,

The second amendment is the right for militias to bare arms. I'm not quite sure it applies here. I think us carrying the trishul would be similar to Sikhs who carry the kirpan. In some places it is ok but in other places it is not.

Personally I wouldn't want to just because I'm not a sadhu and I'm kind of lazy on veggie picnic days ;) One hand carrying a trishul means I only have one hand to clap along during kirtan.

I think there is also something underlying this thread that is of great importance, the issue of Hindu identity. If we all carry trishul then it's clear who is Hindu and who is not. The fact that we do not have clear markers such as this makes identity an interesting thing. For the first time in American history we have a large number of non Indians becoming Hindu. There is a lot of new territory to be walked by both the Indian and non Indian Hindu community around this issue of identity and membership.

Aum Hari Aum!

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Hmmm...

I don't think that carrying around a huge trishula like that would be a good idea. Like the above poster stated, it would be more impractical than anything else.

I have trishula earrings and rudraksh mala, and if I really wanted to carry a trishula on my person, I'd probably get a small tattoo of it somewhere.

I'm also a bit confused as to who/what I am trying to impress/identify with when I put on rudraksh or vibhuti. Am I telling other people 'hey, I am a Shiva devotee' or am I reinforcing that within myself?

If I go to a Shiva temple and pray to Shiva, isn't it obvious I am a Shaiva? I'd really like to have a good reason to adorn myself with such things, but up until now, I haven't found one. I don't know why it is I buy all these things and they just sit there and I cannot bring myself to wear them....I don't know why...

Maya3

Picture trying to get on an airplane with it. :)

If we have a picnic where everyone has one I think people would think we were crazy. :D

But a big temple picnic is a great idea! Maybe I should suggest that at my temple. It would be a good way to get to know each other.

Andal,
I love your comment about milita and arms. Something most people don´t understand.

Maya

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste, there was a good "point" made, about having only have one hand to clap along during kirtan (if you carried a three pointed trident in your hand).

So I imagine you need some trishul training from an authorized Sadhu first, or you might accidently poke some innocent bystander or ding a door dent in someone's parked car or expensive "Lifes Good" (LG) washing machine.

But I would be opposed to a requirement to have a trishul license. You never know what those government bureaucrats are going to do with that license fee or tax, and who they are going to squash lifeless next with that money. Trishul license should have exemption on religious grounds.

Om Namah Sivaya

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Animal sacrifice for religious causes is (ironically and almost humorously) forbidden.

In the US it's not illegal. Santería performs sacrifices of chickens, and goats if I am not mistaken, in religious rituals. All perfectly legal.

Philomath

Sadhaka
Maybe a small pocket or hand sized Trishul would work? I'm not sure people in the USA can just walk around with a giant trident lol.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Vanakkam,

The second amendment is the right for militias to bare arms. I'm not quite sure it applies here.

With permits in most places, usually a ccw permit: carry concealed weapon. In Texas, however, one sees nary a pickup truck without a gun rack in the bed of the truck. It depends on the jurisdiction.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Personally, I would never carry it. It just seems too 'out there' to me. it would bring opn stares, questions, etc. Even the single rudraksha I wear is under the shirt. But if someone else wants to, go for it. I've never seen anyone carrying it. Maybe in North India amongst sadhus. It's also uses to symbolise Bhairava when there is no statue present.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Non-metallic replicas of weapons do not require permits afaik, though they may get some funny looks and possibly even harassment. Especially carrying something in the US that would be considered a symbol of devil worship.

Philomath

Sadhaka
Non-metallic replicas of weapons do not require permits afaik, though they may get some funny looks and possibly even harassment. Especially carrying something in the US that would be considered a symbol of devil worship.

A trident is a a symbol of the devil? :confused:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Traditionally pictured with a three-prong pitchfork.

Philomath

Sadhaka
Personally, I would never carry it. It just seems too 'out there' to me. it would bring opn stares, questions, etc. Even the single rudraksha I wear is under the shirt. But if someone else wants to, go for it. I've never seen anyone carrying it. Maybe in North India amongst sadhus. It's also uses to symbolise Bhairava when there is no statue present.

Speaking of Rudrakshas mine broke yesterday :(

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Speaking of Rudrakshas mine broke yesterday :(

Don't feel too badly. My 3rd tulsi kanthi broke. I guess I'm not meant to wear one. However, my tulsi plants are doing nicely. :)

Philomath

Sadhaka
Don't feel too badly. My 3rd tulsi kanthi broke. I guess I'm not meant to wear one. However, my tulsi plants are doing nicely. :)

Your 3rd one? Wow, but that's good to hear. Maybe next time I'll buy a higher grade of Rudraksha, the one I purchased was pretty cheap lol.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, sometimes you get what you pay for. :(

Yet, I have a 3-4 mm rudraksha mala, which I never used for japa, so it's OK to wear. The tassle has long since disintegrated, so it's really just a set of neck beads. The single rudraksha I have is attached to the mala exactly opposite the guru bead. It makes a nice pendant and seems to be tough, but I have not worn it in a while. I was wearing the tulsi and rudraksha together (Harihara devotee).