• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should A Global Language Be Adopted?

Raban

Hagian
And if they did, should it be an existing language, or one a group of linguistic scientists 'create' which is easier to learn, yet still expressive?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I find the idea kind of unpalatable, but a nice dream. It'd be useful for when travelling, I suppose.

I suppose we could *cringe* all speak Esperanto or *cringe* lojban...

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And if they did, should it be an existing language, or one a group of linguistic scientists 'create' which is easier to learn, yet still expressive?

Yes. And yes.

Seriously now, a global language will eventually be adopted, no doubt. But it will take quite a while and will probably happen largely of its own, despite the best intentions of many.

Alas, we can't even stop building war weapons, so fat chance of a true global language effort developing any time soon.

I wish the UNO and the dream of global cooperation it once represented were taken seriously, but apparently that is not to be.

Me Myself

Back to my username
English is the latin of today, so english is the most common language for intercultural affairs.

Esperanto was a funny try.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Esperanto is kind of how English would be if it were far more latinized than it is.

English already kind of is used as an international language, the problem is that the language, frankly, sucks. It constantly breaks its own rules, has verb conjugation that often makes no sense, and to top it off, native speakers often can't speak it correctly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Esperanto is kind of how English would be if it were far more latinized than it is.

English already kind of is used as an international language, the problem is that the language, frankly, sucks. It constantly breaks its own rules, has verb conjugation that often makes no sense, and to top it off, native speakers often can't speak it correctly.
If Esperanto became common, its rules & words would evolve in a messy fashion too.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I think the reason english is seen as difficult isnt just because of sentence structure but we have lots of words that are the same spoken but have different meanings and different spellings which becomes confusing.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
English already kind of is used as an international language, ... and to top it off, native speakers often can't speak it correctly.

We speak it properly, in Oz. All you other folks spend far too much time trying to pronounce vowels, and whatever. Waste of time.

But if Australian English doesn't get the nod, I vote for Tok Pisin! Just think of the poetic expression!

Here ya go...a beginner's course for you all. The nice thing is, there IS NO ADVANCED COURSE. And no need to learn how to spell.

UniLang • Tok Pisin for Beginners

Pagan_Patriot

English tough? Nahhh. Everyone uses their own slang haha :D.

Come see L.A. We have lots of immigrants and they apeak broken english but we underatand them perfectly xd.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
We speak it properly, in Oz. All you other folks spend far too much time trying to pronounce vowels, and whatever. Waste of time.

Well you guys are generationally closer to Britain than we are.

...then again, you guys were also Cockney-speaking London street cut-purses...

(i kid i kid)