• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should a believer be afraid of asking ?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Should believers in a religion and a God be afraid of asking the difficult questions, or the questions that seems difficult to answer?

Is it different when a believer ask about non belief, than when a non believer ask a believer difficult questions about his or her belief?

Is it more ok for a non believer to make critique of religion than it is for a believer to ask questions why someone do not believe?

PS: this thread is not an attack at any believer, non believer, agnostic og persons at all. It is a question that arise from countless discussion where believers have to defend their belief.
THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT @Conscious thoughts or his his belief.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Should believers in a religion and a God be afraid of asking the difficult questions, or the questions that seems difficult to answer?

Is it different when a believer ask about non belief, than when a non believer ask a believer difficult questions about his or her belief?

Is it more ok for a non believer to make critique of religion than it is for a believer to ask questions why someone do not believe?

PS: this thread is not an attack at any believer, non believer, agnostic og persons at all. It is a question that arise from countless discussion where believers have to defend their belief.
No. There is no reason why the cases are different.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

No

No

No:)

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

I say: the more difficult the questions, the more reasons there are to ask and ponder them.

No matter the topic.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Unfortunatly in RF it Sometimes seem to cause friction when difficult questions are asked.

Are you sure that you're not confusing "difficult" with "controversial" here?

In any case, no matter the difficulty of the question, I think "friction" is pretty much inevitable once it concerns a topic that one or more parties of the discussion are very passionate about.

I don't think this is a problem. A heated discussion = always fun. :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

No.

Not in my experience.

I think they are both at the same level of ok-ness.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Why would a believer have to ask questions? He's a believer. Doesn't that suggest that he already has the answers he needs? The essential ones, at least. Perhaps there are minor ones he would like answers to.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Not at all... no need to be afraid at all if the heart is right... I remember Mary:

34 And Mary said to the angel, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?”

Difficult question, difficult to answer... but her heart was open to receive the answer.

Some people ask with no open heart and it is more along this line:

Matthew 22:35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Hmmm... Firstly, I just want to say that one should never feel bad about asking questions. Even if they provoke a negative response, something will be learned. :D

As for critique from non religious people... It does happen a lot, and sometimes it can pull the topic off topic. If one wanted to avoid that from happening, I might avoid the debate section.

I think the political climate lately has contributed to these attitudes, especially since many non religious folks have had negative experiences with religion... That's just me speculating, though.

I wouldn't let it get you down, however. At the end of the day, people and their criticisms don't have to walk a day in your shoes.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why would a believer have to ask questions? He's a believer. Doesn't that suggest that he already has the answers he needs? The essential ones, at least. Perhaps there are minor ones he would like answers to.

A synomn to this question in abrahamic terms is one doesn't know everything about god. It's a mystery. So constant questioning (to those who can) is to learn more about god rather than reconfirm beliefs they are already comfortable in.

It would be odd to say one doesn't need to question unless they mistake questioning for doubt and insecurity.... rather than discovery of something new, different, or even something (per OP) they accept as a challenge to their opinion without feeling as if such questions to self or to others are meant for debate. Even more so,willing to discuss such challenges and observations as feedback and not attack.

It's a natural, in my opinion, way to practice. Always a beginner. As for if people can do so....from RF it doesn't sound like an "abrahamic" issue.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The entire point of religion is to ask difficult questions that are difficult to answer - and then find the meaningfulness that satisfactorily navigates oneself in life through all the relationships, obstacles, and blessings that life brings. It's not exactly surprising that when others naysay the anchor that keeps one grounded, one is not going to take it well, though it depends on how the question is asked. There's a difference between snarky "but why do you bother with that meditation stuff? You should be able to be mentally healthy without that religious garbage" and respectful "so meditation helps you with life stress? How does that work?"

LightofTruth

Some time ago I joined a Christian discussion forum and entered into discussion whereby someone was claiming that Jesus raised himself from the dead. This person was not claiming that Jesus, by laying down of his own life, was cause enough that the grave could not hold him, but in fact, this person was claiming that Jesus was still alive when he was dead and therefore could raise himself from the dead.

Since I put it like that, it's no wonder they booted me off the forum. My questions exposed the absurdity of that persons idea. People don't like questions they can't answer, especially when it come to their religious beliefs, because they like to think they know it all.

Should believers in a religion and a God be afraid of asking the difficult questions, or the questions that seems difficult to answer?...

I think questions should always be allowed. When they are not, people are more easily led astray and it is really bad.

It is sad that the whole world is nowadays going in direction where selfrighteous people who think they are better than the rest rule and don’t allow questions and speech for example about elections.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Are you sure that you're not confusing "difficult" with "controversial" here?

In any case, no matter the difficulty of the question, I think "friction" is pretty much inevitable once it concerns a topic that one or more parties of the discussion are very passionate about.

I don't think this is a problem. A heated discussion = always fun. :)

The OP is asked in the way intended:) no confusion