• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Short Prayers for purification/revitalizing the soul

Brinne

A collection of short prayers I though I'd share from the Shinto Norito (or book of prayers). They're easy to say and quick, very good way to start the morning or give you some energy/hope when you need it! Romanji (romanization of original Japanese text) is in bold and parenthesis.

Ryaku Haishi (Short Prayer)

Sarutahiko, Great Bright Being (Doso Sarutahiko Dai Myo Jin) x 3

Sweep the impurities from my being and purify my spirit;
Grant me protection; Grant me happiness;
Restore brightness to my soul and give me guidance
(Harae tamai kiyome tamae mamori tamai
Sakiwae tamae terashi tamai michibiki tamae
)

Hi Fu Mi No Harae Kotoba (Hi Fu Mi Word/Chant of purification)
(Sacred syllables to be chanted while tuning to the vibration of your voice to the divine)

Hi fu mi yo i mu na ya ko to
mo chi ro ra ne shi ki
Ru yu i tsu wa nu so
O ta ha ku me ka u o e ni
Sa ri he te no ma su a se e ho re ke

These are two of many prayers found in the Norito Book of Prayers. Both represent Kotodama (literally 'word soul') a very important part of Shinto. Kotodama is the vibratory rhythm of Japanese words and syllables which is believed to invoke a sort of divine nature when prayers are said or chanted.

I hope those who practice Shinto picked up something they can use in their practice! I also hope that those who are just looking learned something interesting!

I highly recommend Ann Llewellyn Evan's book 'Shinto Norito: A book of prayer'! Ann Evans is a certified Shinto priestess by Grand Tsubaki Shrine in Mie prefecture of Japan. She is an American who specializes in Shinto studies. I can assure you the contents of her books are valid and well researched :)

Last edited: