• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shopping

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
It seems this year for Black Friday some retailers are doing the sales more online and the beginnings of them will be starting soon.

I very much like shopping, even online shopping.

Also, how has the coronavirus affected your ability to shop?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It seems this year for Black Friday some retailers are doing the sales more online and the beginnings of them will be starting soon.

It's ruined the flea market / swap meet business.
But there is still the internet & word of mouth.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I loved going to the local farmers markets around here, but they have been few and far between since the virus landed.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I shop very little so it has not affected me at all :)

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Some has changed, but not a lot.

I never cared for shopping, so I'm not devastated by the idea of staying home. I prefer to shop online where I can find exactly what I want, rather than browse through a bunch of stuff I don't necessarily.

Still gotta eat, though. We sometimes choose to shop in a smaller town about 20 minutes north, rather than deal with the insanity here on larger grocery trips. I haven't embraced online grocery shopping, as a good amount of the groceries we buy are at the Asian markets, or smaller shops that cater to various immigrant groups in the area. (International cooking is a hobby of mine.)

I do miss the farmer's markets for our produce. They're still running, but I won't go. They're just too packed together for my comfort.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Most towns and villages have weekly markets. During the lock down there were none. Now they are back with one way pedestrian traffic, distancing and masks must be worn.

The nearest major supermarket is 25km away. During lockdown a limited number of customers were allowed inside so invariably large queues formed outside, again all social distanced and masked.
Now, the limit on numbers gas gone but masks and social distancing are required. Which is quite funny if 2 people enter an isle from either end at the same time.

exchemist

Veteran Member

I like shopping only for food. Shopping for anything else is a chore.

For food shopping, coronavirus has been awful. I need to queue outside the butcher and , especially, the fishmonger, as they will only allow 2-3 in at a time, and the orders people place can be quite complicated and often need preparation, e..g filleting fish, cleaning squid etc. The greengrocer stall is now OK, and at the moment I can generally get into the supermarket without a queue, provide I avoid peak times. But at the start, with heavy social distancing and panic buying, it was a nightmare.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I plan on doing some online clothes shopping in the next month. As soon as I get my new sizes right.

Remember to take measurements... Each brand seems to have its own idea of what a size is. Sometimes dramatically different.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I only do what is necessary. The large supermarket I go to has a seniors and health workers only hour from 7 to 8 in the AM. I go once a week. It's empty, and I'm usually the first person to the till with a large cart full of groceries. People complain about evenings or Saturday afternoons, when many could do what I do.

For landscaping stuff, I held off until I had at least 3 items to buy. I needed some work jeans, and I know my size so was in and out of that store in about 5 minutes. We haven't eaten out since March.

It's not difficult.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, I quit shopping to save money and decided that because I can afford it I'm shopping to stay (relatively) safe.
Early on my own panic over food seeing barely anything left had me buying a pack of Hot Pockets and a TV dinner. Because they were one of the few things left.
I haven't been out to eat in a restaurant in several months now.
Other than that not much. Having lived most my life in rural Indiana I grew heavily dependent upon online shopping once I discovered it because I could actually find things I wanted and needed without running all over town to look and search to no avail. So things haven't really changed that much, especially once more stores were allowed back open (my only real inconvenience so far is I wasn't able to get a can of butane for my torch lighter to vape weed concentrate with).
It's a different story now, as federal and state unemployment wasn't giving me much more than I was making, but that's gone and now it's more so I it's been awhile since I've just bought stuff I want.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, I quit shopping to save money and decided that because I can afford it I'm shopping to stay (relatively) safe.
Early on my own panic over food seeing barely anything left had me buying a pack of Hot Pockets and a TV dinner. Because they were one of the few things left.
I haven't been out to eat in a restaurant in several months now.
Other than that not much. Having lived most my life in rural Indiana I grew heavily dependent upon online shopping once I discovered it because I could actually find things I wanted and needed without running all over town to look and search to no avail. So things haven't really changed that much, especially once more stores were allowed back open (my only real inconvenience so far is I wasn't able to get a can of butane for my torch lighter to vape weed concentrate with).
It's a different story now, as federal and state unemployment wasn't giving me much more than I was making, but that's gone and now it's more so I it's been awhile since I've just bought stuff I want.

Do you have some 'go to' on-line sites to recommend?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Do you have some 'go to' on-line sites to recommend?
Depends on what I'm looking for.
Blick Art I use a lot (though I loath and despise and utterly HATE buying art supplies I haven't seen for myself yet to know exactly what I'm getting)
Newegg and iFixit are where I go to for electronic stuff.
Wizards Cupboard for MTG (I've also been to their physical store in Florida. Small, tiny hole in the wall store cram packed with MTG cards:D)
Ebay for discounted good stuff.
Wish (and other similar cheap Chinese stuff) for basically trying new styles and colors for super cheap.
For books it's just where ever that has them for a good quality (just as long as I don't get a book with a lot of usage is fine as I'll be putting good wear onto them).
And I do use Amazon for quiet a few things. Including Ebooks, as I do like the Kindle paper-looking screen, and it has enabled me to easily (and cheaply) read things that are harder to find than just walking into a library or Borders.