• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shopping for a religion

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
This doesn't conjure up any perfect match in my mind.

But I used to think that if I were forced to adopt a religion, I'd become a follower of Ganesha ─ who likes wisdom and learning, application, kindness and decency, laughter and cheer, and not least has as his avatar the admirable elephant.

That still seems to me to be a fine place to start.
Well, as far as I can tell and from my own inclinations too, Buddhism and Hinduism are the nearest so far.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I can pay to be the owner my own religion :confused: that is like bribing God :eek:
Hey God how much do i have to pay to gain your wisdom :confused:

Oh dang it, i going to poo my self if i get a number from God :eek:
If I had to pay for such knowledge then that would make me rather suspicious - being the eternal sceptic that I am. I'm sure any decent God would be more beneficent, but no belief in a God is actually required for a religious belief anyway.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If I had to pay for such knowledge then that would make me rather suspicious - being the eternal sceptic that I am. I'm sure any decent God would be more beneficent, but no belief in a God is actually required for a religious belief anyway.
I had to make a joke out of my reply :) I am very much agree with you that spiritual wisdom should be free for everyone to gain

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Presumably the purpose of adopting a religion, as opposed to following a personal spiritual path, is to share the experience with other like minded people. In which case I’d probably go for the denomination that had either the nicest people, or those I felt most comfortable with. I have always been impressed with Quakers, they seem a principled bunch, and I know they have a long history of good work with disadvantaged communities in London.

There are other factors, of course. I find the liturgy of the Catholic mass beautiful, and I am familiar with it. But my local Catholic Church is rather austere and draughty. Last time I attended mass was actually in Rome, and it was very moving, but it’s quite a trek from London to Rome on a Sunday morning.

There is a relatively new Hindu Temple just round the corner from me, a very ornate and exotic looking building. There’s a very dramatic looking mosque next door to my work; I’ve never been inside either of these buildings I’m sorry to say.

On a Saturday morning I often walk past a modern looking synagogue; the people gathered outside seem like a good natured bunch, but I’m more intrigued by the exotically attired ‘Fromers’, who a Jewish friend refers to as the Stamford Hill Cowboys. They don’t frequent this particular synagogue. Think you have to be born into Judaism anyway.

There are loads of Buddhist temples near where I live, one in particular has a reputation for being dogma-light and very welcoming. I haven’t been there either.
Good points, and I've noticed so many nice people throughout life having various different religious beliefs so as to make it rather difficult to pinpoint why they might be so. Perhaps they were just born such. I've tried never to be biased or judgmental simply because someone has any particular beliefs, and ultimately it is down to how they behave or whether they might stick dogmatically to what their faith might prescribe. And the religious, of any persuasion, often do have the best architecture in their buildings and promote the best social gatherings for the benefit of the community. No complaints on that score.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I don't think I did - as to opposites. It just seems to me that many religions do though in various ways, and not really based on factual evidence but rather from some particular religious doctrine. As to what they might do, what they might wear, or even as to their value. Which is not really what one wants to see if one sees females as equivalent in many ways to males even if different in many ways too. It's mainly about restrictions and opportunities - which for many would be equal in a society where ones' gender was not a consideration as to what one might do or be capable of.

You know there are some people who make statements like "atheists have no morals"? Thats baseless. Just bias, nonsense. Not based on research. A lot of people who do that should grow up a bit and wake up and smell the coffee.

Your statements are just like that. Absolutely the same.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
You know there are some people who make statements like "atheists have no morals"? Thats baseless. Just bias, nonsense. Not based on research. A lot of people who do that should grow up a bit and wake up and smell the coffee.

Your statements are just like that. Absolutely the same.
Fine, if it wasn't for what we observe in various places around the world.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
About what?
Why do you think I get anything from TV? I've read enough and experienced enough (even thought enough) to make up my own mind as to whether I think religions have any value for me and as to what restrictions they can place on people - much of which I disagree with. Hence the thread. Many seem to think if they know enough about any particular religion then this trumps anything else. Are you such?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Why do you think I get anything from TV? I've read enough and experienced enough (even thought enough) to make up my own mind as to whether I think religions have any value for me and as to what restrictions they can place on people - much of which I disagree with. Hence the thread. Many seem to think if they know enough about any particular religion then this trumps anything else. Are you such?

Its not about the thread, but your specific response. "What we observe". Of course when you say "we" you must be meaning your tribe of people who think others are subhuman but you and your "we" get their anecdotal knowledge from nothing but what is presented to you. Most of the information you present are just prejudice.

For you to know "I have read enough" you must be a vault of knowledge. But where does your "equality" and "discrimination" come from? And where is the response to what I said rather than the "Just stick to religious stuff perhaps"?

Tsk.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Its not about the thread, but your specific response. "What we observe". Of course when you say "we" you must be meaning your tribe of people who think others are subhuman but you and your "we" get their anecdotal knowledge from nothing but what is presented to you. Most of the information you present are just prejudice.

For you to know "I have read enough" you must be a vault of knowledge. But where does your "equality" and "discrimination" come from? And where is the response to what I said rather than the "Just stick to religious stuff perhaps"?

Tsk.
You think what I observe necessarily applies to all with the same religion? I can assure you that this is not so, but one can't just dismiss the more extreme behaviours that one sees in various countries as just outliers. And the remarks are not especially about any one religion either.

firedragon

Veteran Member
You seem to think I get whatever it is from TV. How about the News (wherever)? Or from comments here on RF? Or from my own travels? Or just having lived for over seven decades?

Not good enough. Kind of pathetic to think you have read enough and know it all with this kind of anecdotal fallacy.

sealchan

And which tends to advocate the following (Not for me of course - for a friend): :oops:

Treats all humans as equals (as to rights and such), does not discriminate (male/female, for example), and hopes that all fulfil their lives as they would wish (with provisos).

Doesn't tend to place humans as being at the pinnacle of creation, such that other life gets as much respect as we would hope for.

Said religion has no entry or exit requirements.

Has no particular rituals or requirements as to lifestyles - dietary or bodily modifications, for example.

Is open to revision, so not dependent upon any set principles that might oppose reality.

Has no requirement to indoctrinate children into such.

Has no authority other than reason and/or consensus.

Any offers?

You want to refer your "friend" to art school.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not good enough. Kind of pathetic to think you have read enough and know it all with this kind of anecdotal fallacy.
Not as pathetic as you quibbling over how I presented the OP, when equality and discrimination are obviously linked all too often. But then your point was just an Ad hom so as to distract attention. Fortunately my ego is not that fragile and I know I am often a sloppy writer. Better that than being sloppy in one's thinking though. :oops:

firedragon

Veteran Member
Not as pathetic as you quibbling over how I presented the OP, when equality and discrimination are obviously linked all too often.

Its alright. But you should think about the nuances. I gave my response, but you just responded with a mere dismissal without considering what was said. "Religious Stuff" was one of your responses.

You have a bias. Bias, is not research. Its just "bias".

Have a blast.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Its alright. But you should think about the nuances. I gave my response, but you just responded with a mere dismissal without considering what was said. "Religious Stuff" was one of your responses.

You have a bias. Bias, is not research. Its just "bias".

Have a blast.
We all have biases. Yours happens to be religion - like so many others.