• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shopping for a religion

MonkeyFire

I’m not open for business, yet. We believe that faith is hope, happiness, and trust. I want to teach people how to be happy by being non-violent and how to protect themselves with equanimity. My teaching doesn’t require energy when we put into use, so once you master the avatar state you can be happy without cessation. We can create auras around plants, objects, and people, it’s called fluorescence, and you can see it if you are passive enough. We believe in both cosmic order and the fidelity of the Abrahamic religions.

tm

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
But you must know that people are not honest a lot of the time - research tends to show such - and for a variety of reasons, most of which don't involve intentionally harm. Ask any mother what they tell their children.

Still a long way to go as far as I can see, and we can't see that far into the future so as to know what will happen to the human race.

What you are saying I agree is true. However honesty is a motive for action, not merely something said or not said. I can be honest yet deceived, I can be honestly wrong, or honestly short sighted, or in honest error of judgment, or honestly delusional. But honesty is a necessity of relationship. There are things everybody should just know, and there are things that should not be told; all apart of honesty.

I can't predict evolution into the far future. So I agree with that.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I’m not open for business, yet. We believe that faith is hope, happiness, and trust. I want to teach people how to be happy by being non-violent and how to protect themselves with equanimity. My teaching doesn’t require energy when we put into use, so once you master the avatar state you can be happy without cessation. We can create auras around plants, objects, and people, it’s called fluorescence, and you can see it if you are passive enough. We believe in both cosmic order and the fidelity of the Abrahamic religions.
By your religion signature I think you have missed a lot out.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What you are saying I agree is true. However honesty is a motive for action, not merely something said or not said. I can be honest yet deceived, I can be honestly wrong, or honestly short sighted, or in honest error of judgment, or honestly delusional. But honesty is a necessity of relationship. There are things everybody should just know, and there are things that should not be told; all apart of honesty.

I can't predict evolution into the far future. So I agree with that.
Well I must admit that I have an issue with objectivity and humans, and anything relating the two. Seeing as (like most non-religious probably) I see us evolving from past ancestors, I have to wonder where any objectivity entered the picture.

MonkeyFire

Just that you have a lot to explain, and given that you believe in Jesus, I suspect that wouldn't fulfil the requirements - the authority bit for one.

I consider myself a guru, and I can teach you things and still believe in God without apprehension.

firedragon

Veteran Member
And which tends to advocate the following (Not for me of course - for a friend): :oops:

Treats all humans as equals (as to rights and such), does not discriminate (male/female, for example), and hopes that all fulfil their lives as they would wish (with provisos).

Doesn't tend to place humans as being at the pinnacle of creation, such that other life gets as much respect as we would hope for.

Said religion has no entry or exit requirements.

Has no particular rituals or requirements as to lifestyles - dietary or bodily modifications, for example.

Is open to revision, so not dependent upon any set principles that might oppose reality.

Has no requirement to indoctrinate children into such.

Has no authority other than reason and/or consensus.

Any offers?

Let me ask you a question. Why do you speak of "equality of the sexes" and "discrimination" as if they are opposites? Think about it. It is not opposite.

Lets say in a country maternity leave is 3 months, and paternity leave is 3 days, what if this is made equal without considering the woman's physical situation? Would that itself be discrimination?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Well I must admit that I have an issue with objectivity and humans, and anything relating the two. Seeing as (like most non-religious probably) I see us evolving from past ancestors, I have to wonder where any objectivity entered the picture.

I don't see where evolution shapes who I am as a person. Granted the environment and the people in someone's life influence how we respond to situations and events. But ultimately if we mature at all then we will decide for ourselves who we are as people regardless of environment or people's influence, or situations that arise. There comes a time in life where a person decides for themselves who they are going to be.

I'm not predetermined as to what responses I make when I reach a certain level of awareness.

The physical aspect doesn't have to define my choices of being, conviction, and identity.

Ideas, values, and concepts have more to say about who I am than the physical aspect.

Clara Tea

And there it is. A bit of a surprise, but when I think about it, not really.
My 'Wait for it' was about waiting for the proselytisers to come, just as they do in any RF thread when anyone is searching for a religion. I didn't really expect you to be the first in line, but I guess I did learn something today.

Where is the threat of burning in the fires of hell for all eternity? You can't recruit without incentives.

InChrist

Free4ever
And which tends to advocate the following (Not for me of course - for a friend): :oops:

Treats all humans as equals (as to rights and such), does not discriminate (male/female, for example), and hopes that all fulfil their lives as they would wish (with provisos).

Doesn't tend to place humans as being at the pinnacle of creation, such that other life gets as much respect as we would hope for.

Has no particular rituals or requirements as to lifestyles - dietary or bodily modifications, for example.

Is open to revision, so not dependent upon any set principles that might oppose reality.

Any offers?
Smorgasbord spirituality is the popular thing now. Sounds like what your friend is looking for. Whether it’s based in truth or reality is another matter, but that doesn’t seem to be a priority with a lot of people.

Clara Tea

1. Treats all humans as equals (as to rights and such), does not discriminate (male/female, for example)

Most people are not equal opportunity regarding gender, when it comes to marriage. Christians are supposed to treat women like property (cleave unto thy husband).

Women fought hard for the right to work hard for a living. They also worked hard to gain the right to vote, only to be faced with a choice of voting for one candidate that they didn't like or another candidate that they didn't like, and, with rare exceptions, the high ranking candidates were men.

Politicians, thinking with their anatomy, have not found it fitting to force men to support their children (financially or emotionally). So, many men play the field, impregnating many women, and forcing them to live lives of meager income, low social esteem, and not very desirable to date (with kids).

We live in a serially monogamous society, which is a far cry from the sanctified marriage imposed by God. It is almost a Mormon union, except that multiple marriages, at the same time, are frowned upon.

Why should society be saddled with the financial burden of unwed mothers while fathers flit from woman to woman?

Genders are not equal, nor should they be considered so. While women bear kids, men should bear responsibility.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Any offers?
This doesn't conjure up any perfect match in my mind.

But I used to think that if I were forced to adopt a religion, I'd become a follower of Ganesha ─ who likes wisdom and learning, application, kindness and decency, laughter and cheer, and not least has as his avatar the admirable elephant.

That still seems to me to be a fine place to start.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Any offers?
I can pay to be the owner my own religion :confused: that is like bribing God :eek:
Hey God how much do i have to pay to gain your wisdom :confused:

Oh dang it, i going to poo my self if i get a number from God :eek:

John1.12

Free gift

Any offers?
Probably something close to secular humanism . Also relativism is very popular with the kids these days.

RestlessSoul

Presumably the purpose of adopting a religion, as opposed to following a personal spiritual path, is to share the experience with other like minded people. In which case I’d probably go for the denomination that had either the nicest people, or those I felt most comfortable with. I have always been impressed with Quakers, they seem a principled bunch, and I know they have a long history of good work with disadvantaged communities in London.

There are other factors, of course. I find the liturgy of the Catholic mass beautiful, and I am familiar with it. But my local Catholic Church is rather austere and draughty. Last time I attended mass was actually in Rome, and it was very moving, but it’s quite a trek from London to Rome on a Sunday morning.

There is a relatively new Hindu Temple just round the corner from me, a very ornate and exotic looking building. There’s a very dramatic looking mosque next door to my work; I’ve never been inside either of these buildings I’m sorry to say.

On a Saturday morning I often walk past a modern looking synagogue; the people gathered outside seem like a good natured bunch, but I’m more intrigued by the exotically attired ‘Fromers’, who a Jewish friend refers to as the Stamford Hill Cowboys. They don’t frequent this particular synagogue. Think you have to be born into Judaism anyway.

There are loads of Buddhist temples near where I live, one in particular has a reputation for being dogma-light and very welcoming. I haven’t been there either.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Let me ask you a question. Why do you speak of "equality of the sexes" and "discrimination" as if they are opposites? Think about it. It is not opposite.

Lets say in a country maternity leave is 3 months, and paternity leave is 3 days, what if this is made equal without considering the woman's physical situation? Would that itself be discrimination?
I don't think I did - as to opposites. It just seems to me that many religions do though in various ways, and not really based on factual evidence but rather from some particular religious doctrine. As to what they might do, what they might wear, or even as to their value. Which is not really what one wants to see if one sees females as equivalent in many ways to males even if different in many ways too. It's mainly about restrictions and opportunities - which for many would be equal in a society where ones' gender was not a consideration as to what one might do or be capable of.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't see where evolution shapes who I am as a person. Granted the environment and the people in someone's life influence how we respond to situations and events. But ultimately if we mature at all then we will decide for ourselves who we are as people regardless of environment or people's influence, or situations that arise. There comes a time in life where a person decides for themselves who they are going to be.

I'm not predetermined as to what responses I make when I reach a certain level of awareness.

The physical aspect doesn't have to define my choices of being, conviction, and identity.

Ideas, values, and concepts have more to say about who I am than the physical aspect.
Well I am still suspicious of any objectivity when referencing humans - even if via science we do seem capable of getting further into such than we did a few millennia ago. I'd love to know what went on in the minds of our distant ancestors but unfortunately that is never going to happen, but I'm sure it would help if were so capable.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Smorgasbord spirituality is the popular thing now. Sounds like what your friend is looking for. Whether it’s based in truth or reality is another matter, but that doesn’t seem to be a priority with a lot of people.
I'm sure that is true. Fortunately I've never been in that game. Me being too silly probably. :D

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Most people are not equal opportunity regarding gender, when it comes to marriage. Christians are supposed to treat women like property (cleave unto thy husband).

Women fought hard for the right to work hard for a living. They also worked hard to gain the right to vote, only to be faced with a choice of voting for one candidate that they didn't like or another candidate that they didn't like, and, with rare exceptions, the high ranking candidates were men.

Politicians, thinking with their anatomy, have not found it fitting to force men to support their children (financially or emotionally). So, many men play the field, impregnating many women, and forcing them to live lives of meager income, low social esteem, and not very desirable to date (with kids).

We live in a serially monogamous society, which is a far cry from the sanctified marriage imposed by God. It is almost a Mormon union, except that multiple marriages, at the same time, are frowned upon.

Why should society be saddled with the financial burden of unwed mothers while fathers flit from woman to woman?

Genders are not equal, nor should they be considered so. While women bear kids, men should bear responsibility.
Fair enough, but I'm sure you know what I mean when we might look at many religious beliefs that do definitely restrict some (usually females) as to how they should behave, dress, live their lives, and such.