• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shopping for a religion

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
And which tends to advocate the following (Not for me of course - for a friend): :oops:

Treats all humans as equals (as to rights and such), does not discriminate (male/female, for example), and hopes that all fulfil their lives as they would wish (with provisos).

Doesn't tend to place humans as being at the pinnacle of creation, such that other life gets as much respect as we would hope for.

Said religion has no entry or exit requirements.

Has no particular rituals or requirements as to lifestyles - dietary or bodily modifications, for example.

Is open to revision, so not dependent upon any set principles that might oppose reality.

Has no requirement to indoctrinate children into such.

Has no authority other than reason and/or consensus.

Any offers?

danieldemol

Premium Member
And which tends to advocate the following (Not for me of course - for a friend): :oops:

Treats all humans as equals (as to rights and such), does not discriminate (male/female, for example), and hopes that all fulfil their lives as they would wish (with provisos).

Doesn't tend to place humans as being at the pinnacle of creation, such that other life gets as much respect as we would hope for.

Has no particular rituals or requirements as to lifestyles - dietary or bodily modifications, for example.

Is open to revision, so not dependent upon any set principles that might oppose reality.

Any offers?
They could start their own religion.

Viker

Häxan

Any offers?
You basically ruled out nearly every religion I know about.

Closest thing is my personal path. But it's not open for acolytes right now. It's founder and lone adherent is leary of new comers.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Any offers?

I already have this in mine.

What else ya got?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Suit you sir? :oops: I'm happy to accept any offers.

I misunderstood the OP until now (just finishing up my second cup of coffee). You're shopping for a religion (for a friend), not offering a religion to those that are shopping.

That said, Steve is not for everyone. It's a personal path (which, IMO, is what all paths should be).

Anyway, unless you're your friend is looking for community, I see no reason for you them to shop for a religion. You they can walk their own personal paths using the standards set forth in the OP.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think that's the religion of the inanimate objects that you're looking for.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
1. Treats all humans as equals (as to rights and such), does not discriminate (male/female, for example), and hopes that all fulfill their lives as they would wish (with provisos).
2. Doesn't tend to place humans as being at the pinnacle of creation, such that other life gets as much respect as we would hope for.
3. Said religion has no entry or exit requirements.
4. Has no particular rituals or requirements as to lifestyles - dietary or bodily modifications, for example.
5. Is open to revision, so not dependent upon any set principles that might oppose reality.
6. Has no requirement to indoctrinate children into such.
7. Has no authority other than reason and/or consensus.
Any offers?
Wait for it. Wait for it.
No need to wait. It is already here.
You are clearly talking of my religion, Advaita Hinduism. Does not miss even one point, most of the time goes beyond the points mentioned by you.
1. Treats all things as equal, humans, animals, vegetation, non-living objects.
3. Go with it till the time it suits you, no need to inform if you ditch it.
4. Absolutely none other than 'take care of your responsibilities' and 'help others if you can, do not treat others badly'. That is 'dharma'.
5. Checked every evening with the latest in science.
6. Children will not understand it. It is for big boys.
7. No authority, no God, no prophet / son / messenger / manifestation / mahdi / priests. No book that you must follow. Never threatens you with eternal hell, also does not try to entice you with heavenly mansions and houris.
That's the religion of the inanimate objects you're looking for.
What is animate and what is inanimate? The electrons even in a stone are whirring, just like in my body. And same - Hydrogen, Oxygen, Calcium, Carbon, etc.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Brian2

Veteran Member

Any offers?

Since you're shopping, how much have you got to spend. I could set something up for you and I'm sure others also would want to join. I'll even by the minister for a price or you could be your own minister and save a packet, and in that case I would just take the setting up and registration fee.
Anyway you can let your friend know and see what he/she says.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Any offers?
Sounds like you want a social club, not a religion.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No need to wait. It is already here.
You are clearly talking of my religion, Advaita Hinduism. Does not miss even one point, most of the time goes beyond the points mentioned by you.
1. Treats all things as equal, humans, animals, vegetation, non-living objects.
3. Go with it till the time it suits you, no need to inform if you ditch it.
4. Absolutely none other than 'take care of your responsibilities' and 'help others if you can, do not treat others badly'. That is 'dharma'.
5. Checked every evening with the latest in science.
6. Children will not understand it. It is for big boys.
7. No authority, no God, no prophet / son / messenger / manifestation / mahdi. No book that you must follow. Never threatens you with eternal hell, also does not try to entice you with heavenly mansions and houris.What is animate and what is inanimate? The electrons even in a stone are whirring, just like in my body. And same - Hydrogen, Oxygen, Calcium, Carbon, etc.

And there it is. A bit of a surprise, but when I think about it, not really.
My 'Wait for it' was about waiting for the proselytisers to come, just as they do in any RF thread when anyone is searching for a religion. I didn't really expect you to be the first in line, but I guess I did learn something today.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
And there it is. A bit of a surprise, but when I think about it, not really.
My 'Wait for it' was about waiting for the proselytisers to come, just as they do in any RF thread when anyone is searching for a religion. I didn't really expect you to be the first in line, but I guess I did learn something today.
I do think the OP is rather inviting responses that might be labelled as proselytising. I was rather reticent about posting my little spiel, aside from the RF rule, for just that reason. I guess it's down to @Mock Turtle what he makes of the responses.