• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shoes In the House?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No shoes in our house. Hindu custom. I will leave mine on in someone else's house if they're persistent I do, which would be very rare, if ever.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Chez Ymir has a no shoes policy. (It's a bit of a given in a rural area.)

Edit: Fair warning!: The management of Chez Ymir reserves the right to turn the fire hose on those who arrive with dirty feet.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Chez Ymir has a no shoes policy. (It's a bit of a given in a rural area.)

Edit: Fair warning!: The management of Chez Ymir reserves the right to turn the fire hose on those who arrive with dirty feet.
What if I show up without any shoes?
Would I have to take off my feet?

At Metis's house, he said he had a <no kilt> policy.
I was suspicious.

Jedster

You would probably laugh when we have our family over and you see this pile of shoes by the door.

This reminds me of when I was living in an ashram. We would say to visitors, "leave your shoes and your mind outside". :cool:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As an aside, I loathe carpet. Hard to clean, easy to stain, and traps filth (especially if you have kids and pets).
I hear ya, but at our age-- er, I mean maturity-- my wife and I are safer walking across a carpet, except in the bathroom and kitchen.

Holdasown

I don't really wear them in my house but I don't take them off at friends unless they ask me too. I keep a mat for them to wipe their feet off at my home. If they want to take them off they are free to

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I have been places where that is done. Its best in that case not to wear socks that have holes and to keep one's shoes from stinking before dropping in for a visit.
Ya, and we do not ask our guests to take off their shoes but most do anyway.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't really wear them in my house but I don't take them off at friends unless they ask me too. I keep a mat for them to wipe their feet off at my home. If they want to take them off they are free to
The maid takes care of the dirt anyway.

Btw, I keep slippers in Mr Van for those occasions when I'm living in him.
(The maid avoids Mr Van.)

Flame

Beware
Shoes come off in my house. I have enough trouble trying to clean up dirt from the dogs, I don't need people dragging in dirt too. :D

GoodbyeDave

I wear slippers in my own flat, but I wouldn't dream of asking a visitor to remove their shoes, nor have I ever been asked to do so. Obviously you would on a farm, but in a city with swept pavements, a doormat inside the building entrance, and another outside your flat, there's not going to be any trecking in.