• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shocking claim to Macro-evolution!

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Unless you're a scientist along the calibre of James Tour (and that your expertise is what you're talking about)......you don't have any voice of authority at all to give any lectures about the theory of evolution or the origin of life. This is one topic where-in personal opinion definitely doesn't count at all!

Your personal opinion is irrelevant! I don't care about personal opinion!
Deal with the issue!

If you want to refute James Tour's claim - find a scientist (or science source) that directly refutes his claim!

He wrote an open letter to his colleagues - there's gotta be someone, somewhere who had the balls to refute his claims!

Google for it! Chop-chop. Get going.
I couldn't find one - maybe I'm looking at the wrong places. Let's find "Waldo!"

It's the same in every forums. Will you evolutionists please........stop posturing! Lol!
Relax. No need to go all unstable.

tosca1

Creationists like you sez [sic]. After reading the quotes, watching the videos and visiting the links, the message that not knowing the origin of life somehow rebukes the theory of evolution stands out. It is and old, tired and meaningless attempt to mix the two in order to bring down the theory of evolution primarily.

Relax. Don't go all unstable and confuse views made outside of this thread with this topic. Lol.

Where did I make that claim in this thread? Cite.
Don't put words in my mouth. Stick to this thread! You don't go digging outside a topic for something irrelevant when you're.....stumped. :D

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Lol. Szostak conceded to James Tour about that.

https://evolutionnews.org/2019/05/professor-james-tour-a-liar-for-jesus/

There's more in that source I gave above that detailed Hurd's accusations against Tour.

What we do now know - Szostak had retracted his claims!

Nobel Winner Retracts Own Paper in 'Definitely Embarrassing' Fail | Inverse

Lol. How many more did he mess up because of zealousness towards his belief?
That doesn't look like good science to me.
Now you are an authority on science. When did that happen?

exchemist

Veteran Member

There's more in that source I gave above that detailed Hurd's accusations against Tour.

Nobel Laureate Retracts Own Paper in 'Definitely Embarrassing' Science Fail

This response proves you have no idea what I am talking about. Tour uttered three specific lies in his lecture, which I have listed and described.

Even if Szostak were convicted of fraud and clapped in jail, they would still be lies.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There's only one glaring unmistakeable ignorance that shines forth from your post.

Folks, careful with your knee-jerk reactions.

I know James Tour's claim must be like a bombshell that just exploded - hence I call it "shocking."

I understand it'll be shocking to a lot of evolutionists.

You just gotta laugh.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Relax. Don't go all unstable and confuse views made outside of this thread with this topic. Lol.

Where did I make that claim in this thread? Cite.
Don't put words in my mouth. Stick to this thread! You don't go digging outside a topic for something irrelevant when you're.....stumped. :D
School yard repetition? Well now I know the quality of the individual I am dealing with.

The links are part of the OP and other posts you have made.

Get a grip dude. I actually never said any specific person made the claim. It was implied by the provided resources.

tosca1

This response proves you have no idea what I am talking about. Tour uttered three specific lies in his lecture, which I have listed and described.

Even if Szostak were convicted of fraud and clapped in jail, they would still be lies.

Lol. It's your source that could be......lying.
It's highly likely, after all Szostak himself was forced to retract a falsehood he published!

If there's anyone caught giving falsehoods (and embarrssingly admitted to it).....it's Szostak! He's been caught in a lie!
ON RECORD!

So, there!

exchemist

Veteran Member
Lol. It's your source that could be......lying.
It's highly likely, after all Szostak himself was forced to retract a falsehood he published!

If there's anyone caught giving falsehoods (and embarrssingly admitted to it).....it's Szostak! He's been caught in a lie!
ON RECORD!

So, there!
My source is a video of Tour actually giving the lecture. The molecular diagrams on his screen are something I can see for myself and what he says about them I can hear for myself.

Now, do you think glyceraldehyde can be described as a simple sugar or not? Give your reasons.

tosca1

Whatever a scientist writes outside of scientific journals are irrelevant to other scientists. Since he has never written anything about this in scientific papers, there is nothing to scientifically refute.
I don't know the guy, he is not in this forum. Neither do I care what his personal opinion is on evolution or the Loch Ness Monster for that matter.
You made the OP, if you do not want a discussion on evolutionary sciences with us, what is the point of the OP? Just to inform us about this guy's existence and his personal beliefs?

Why should I take your "refutation" as a bonafide refutation?

Just because you say you're a scientist? No offense intended - but that's not good enough.
Yes, indeed....we are in an online forum. You don't know anything about me, and I don't know anything about you.

James Tour is a world-reknown chemist. He has a reputation at stake....... therefore, that works in his favor, credibility-wise.

If he'd made some serious mistakes or had told lies about any of his claims, what more with his challenging tone - don't you think scientists (evolutionists) wouldn't be making a big hay of it? We'd surely see them plastered everywhere!
A lot of them must've an ax to grind against him! It would be a big scandal in the science community!
You can be sure of it - it'll be in every science website!
It will be just like the way Richard Dawkins was mocked for refusing to debate William Lane Craig and defend his book, "The God Delusion!"

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
By the way, why not use a bigger variety of colours and font sizes? I'm sure that would add persuasiveness and stature to your arguments. :D
I was thinking the same thing. Why is he limiting himself, when there is a spectrum of color and font size to really express his expertise on this subject?

tosca1

Really?

If Tour is truly into debunking pseudoscience, then why is Tour associated with PSEUDOSCIENCE ORGANIZATION like the Discovery Institute?

Discovery Institute isn’t a scientific organisation, an organisation founded and built by lawyers and journalists, and whole bunch of creationists.

Their Wedge Document is their manifesto where they are telling their members to hide their secret agenda, to promote Christian creationism in the guise of “Intelligent Design”.

Why isn’t Tour debunking the falsehood of the Institute’s Intelligent Design, if Tour is truly sincere in challenging falsehoods and pseudoscience?

Did you even know that Tour work with the pseudoscience Discovery Institute?

If you already know that Tour is working with Discovery Institute, then you nothing more than a hypocrite, when you wrote:

It's more about the falsehoods and pseudo-science that's being given to the public that he's challenging!”​

James Tour had openly stated that he's not a proponent of intelligent design.

I have been labeled as an Intelligent Design (sometimes called “ID”) proponent. I am not.
I do not know how to use science to prove intelligent design although some others might. I am sympathetic to the arguments and I find some of them intriguing, but I prefer to be free of that intelligent design label. As a modern-day scientist, I do not know how to prove intelligent design using my most sophisticated analytical tools— the canonical tools are, by their own admission, inadequate to answer the intelligent design question. I cannot lay the issue at the doorstep of a benevolent creator or even an impersonal intelligent designer. All I can presently say is that my chemical tools do not permit my assessment of intelligent design.
https://www.jmtour.com/personal-topics/evolution-creation/

It's a speaking engagement, I assume? A venue is a venue.

tosca1

I was thinking the same thing. Why is he limiting himself, when there is a spectrum of color and font size to really express his expertise on this subject?

It has nothing to do with expertise.
We all know that sensible folks don't go for the eye-candy or distractions!
We go for the substance, right? Unless, we're like children that get easily distracted....well, that could be a problem for some.

It's only just for practicality......and, signature....or, personal style.

I use a certain color for quotes from other sources, to easily distinguish them from quoted posts in the forum.
There's also a specific color that I use for quoted Bible verses.

I use enlarged font sizes for emphasis.
I find that a lot of people i debate with seem to overlook or ignore certain key points in a post.
I give it the benefit of the doubt that they just simply missed them.

Boy, you haven't yet seen my great fondness for smileys and emojis - that's my trademark too, in other forums. But that's another story. :)

Anyway.....

Are we nitpicking, and being so petty....already?
I suppose it only follows personal attacks (upon which I've already been subjected to).
Mind you, that's understandable - in fact, that's standard tactics in forums, and expected from certain groups. :D

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I use a certain color for quotes from other sources, to easily distinguish them from quoted posts in the forum. There's also a specific color that I use for quoted Bible verses.
I use enlarged font sizes for emphasis.

Boy, you haven't yet seen my great fondness for smileys and emojis - that's my trademark too, in other forums. :)

Anyway.....

Are we nitpicking, and being so petty....already?
I suppose it only follows personal attacks (upon which I've already been subjected to).
Mind you, that's understandable - in fact, that's standard tactics in forums, and expected from certain groups. :D
I cannot wait. I'll make popcorn.

It is expected from certain groups. The same group that thinks someone's personal opinion trumps science.

So far, I have seen nothing that demonstrates anything significant about abiogenesis or evolution coming from your colorful writing.

tosca1

I cannot wait. I'll make popcorn.

It is expected from certain groups. The same group that thinks someone's personal opinion trumps science.

So far, I have seen nothing that demonstrates anything significant about abiogenesis or evolution coming from your colorful writing.

Hey, if you can't see them - what more can I say? :shrug:

At least, I'm glad you find my writing....colourful.

gnostic

The Lost One
James Tour had openly stated that he's not a proponent of intelligent design.

https://www.jmtour.com/personal-topics/evolution-creation/

It's a speaking engagement, I assume? A venue is a venue.
You have stated that he is challenging scientists on the matters of evolution and abiogenesis being “falsehoods”.

And yet, he has associated himself with organizations that lies - “falsehoods” as youth it, using media and legal pressures as propaganda to support Intelligent Design.

Why isn’t Tour refuting Intelligent Design? Why would Tour even sign up “A Scientific Descent From Darwinism”, from organisation (Discovery Institute) that have nothing to do with science?

Yes, I have already read that quote about he is not of a proponent for ID, but that’s not my real reason for my reply to you. My real reasons why he would even link himself to the Discovery Institute in the first place.

The Discovery Institute is a place where no prominent scientists and engineers should associated with, considering the propaganda they printed out annually, not unless these scientists and engineers are fundamental creationists.

To sign up anything relating to the Discovery Institute, is to put themselves in bed with the lies and misinformation that Discovery Institute advocates have put out.

Sorry, tosca1, but if you have really being paying attention to what Tour been saying in his videos, you would notice that he has been using the same tactics as all ID proponents have used, in the last 2 decades, blaming the theory of evolution for not knowing how life form in the first place.

As others have already out to you and to nPeace, evolution and abiogenesis are two different fields.

Even if you were able I debunk Abiogenesis today, that wouldn’t debunk Evolution too, because Evolution is about biodiversity, not how life from inorganic materials.

Tour is using the same argument as creationists and ID advocates and apologists have used over the years, the same tactics. And that tell me he isn’t a competent biochemist, just like Michael Behe.

But Tour isn’t really a biologist, since his main area of expertise is in nanotechnology.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Lol. How many more did he mess up because of zealousness towards his belief?
That doesn't look like good science to me.
You do realize that that is a lying source, don't you? And one more time, Szostak wrote a paper where he made a mistake. He realized that and asked that it be retracted. Tour openly lied about Szostak and gave a fake apology. His lies are still on the internet.

One must believe that one's God is very weak if one must lie for him. You really ought to think about that.I

And remember, your posts tell us that you do not understand the sciences at all. You are in no position to judge others.

But if you want to we can go over the lies of Tour one at a time until you understand how he lied.