• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shiva offering question

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Namaste

My question is I've heard about a certain man who was a devotee of Shiva and used to offer him meat loaves.

I was wondering if you could tell me more about this particular story, or is this even true?

Secondary question sorta- would you say offering Lord Shiva meat could be appropriate?

Thanks in advance.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
People can do whatever the heck they want. You could offer worse, and I'm sure some people do. There are still places that practice animal sacrifice, like Nepal, and Bali, and parts of India.

Is it traditional in any sense to offer cooked meat? No. If it is anywhere, it would be very rare indeed.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Is this story of a devotee offering Lord Shiva meat belong to Sri Kannappa Nayanar? I know he was illiterate and not learnt in the ways of propitiating god and he offered food he brought for himself (being a hunter) to the Lord but I am not sure if he offered meat..

In Vaishnava tradition, it appears once Lord Vishnu told a devotee (a great scholar at that) to learn something he wanted to master at from another great bhakta living in a far off town. Upon going to that town, the scholar found out that the referred-to bhakta is actually a 'butcher'!

Even in the story of another story of a devotee of Lord Shiva, the Lord himself went to the house of the couple who were his ardent devotees and tested them by asking them to cook food of their own son after killing him, which they did, and then Lord Shiva brought the child back to life.

Strange are the ways of god!

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Is this story of a devotee offering Lord Shiva meat belong to Sri Kannappa Nayanar? I know he was illiterate and not learnt in the ways of propitiating god and he offered food he brought for himself (being a hunter) to the Lord but I am not sure if he offered meat..

In Vaishnava tradition, it appears once Lord Vishnu told a devotee (a great scholar at that) to learn something he wanted to master at from another great bhakta living in a far off town. Upon going to that town, the scholar found out that the referred-to bhakta is actually a 'butcher'!

Even in the story of another story of a devotee of Lord Shiva, the Lord himself went to the house of the couple who were his ardent devotees and tested them by asking them to cook food of their own son after killing him, which they did, and then Lord Shiva brought the child back to life.

Strange are the ways of god!

Yes, it's Sri Kanappa. He would bring meat and Ganges water that he carried in his mouth to the lingam. There is also the story of a great devotee who converted to Buddhism but every day on his way to collect alms he passed a lingam. And every day he would throw a rock at the lingam because he couldn't worship it any other way and to those around him it looked as if he were disparaging his old beliefs.

He did this every day for many years and then, out of the blue, Shiva appeared before him and thanked him for his unwavering devotion.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I remember the story I read was that someone saw the meat at the lingam and felt horrified, so he hid to see who was doing it.

When he saw this he felt horrified, but he then saw Shiva and Shiva told him to look at what he was going to do, and he made the Lingam cry blood from one eye, so the hunter took one of his eyes off and ofered it to the lingam , which ceased crying from that eye. Then the other eye started crying blood and he measured the things with his hands and then took his own eye out and then offered it too. Then the person seeing this felt really bad for thinking Shiva was being offended when the devotee was actually so sincere.

I think he grew his eyes again after it.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Namaste All

I have been to Kali Devi in Kalighat Temple, there I go and they have devotees who offer goat. I only give rice. But I have stood where in front of me, the head of the goat is chopped off. I do not tell any Kali pujari what to do, you have to be a very certain person to be a Kali pujari which is a long story for another time.

However in terms of Shiva, honestly it would be rare for any devotee to offer meat loafs. I would not do that.

Honestly, if you want to offer meat loafs to Lord Shiva, I would make a recommendation which is not possible for most humans and only the very, very advanced have the will, the good mental jnana and renunciation, and skill do perform this offering:

You should chop off your own head, lift it up with your right hand and offer it to Shiv with the mind set of total renunciation and if not that then with total love.

However this is very difficult to do, but has been achieved by the very, very few.

Garuda is a pure Devotee. He eats live snakes. But I would not recommend you swallow snakes alive.

Jai Mother Kali, You come at times as a little girl to the Saints. Jai Garuda who put fear in the hearts of the magic snake arrows in the battlefields of the Ramayana. Jai Lord Shiva, You are Never hungry, yet You begged alms of spiritual food in the form of porridge from Mother Annapurna. Let me beg alms from the Mother, I beg food.

Om Namah Sivaya

satyaroop

you have to be a very certain person to be a Kali pujari which is a long story for another time.
I can speak for myself and say that I'm interested in listening to what you have to say about this.
But I would not recommend you swallow snakes alive.
great advice

Me Myself

Back to my username
I can speak for myself and say that I'm interested in listening to what you have to say about this.
great advice

Wich advice? He didnt say he recommended you not to try, he said he wouldnt recommend you to try. (Which is not the same) :D