• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shiva/Leatherface: Axiomatic Ouija

Abishai100

In earlier times, photographers would design artificially pasted portraits of dead relatives to create the illusion of living memory for paying customers in mourning.

While this activity was obviously romantic in nature and not very practical, most people at the time appreciated the sentimental value of this simple photoshop service.

How we view memory and the consequences of time affects our perspective on life, death, and power.

The Hindu god Shiva is a hermetic yogi who possesses the powers of ultimate destruction and perfect meditation. The American horror-art avatar Leatherface is a fictional chainsaw-wielding cannibal from the iconic Texas Chainsaw Massacre film franchise.

Shiva and Leatherface signify a human civilization appreciation of the metaphysical mysteries associated with the loss of power.

When contemplating the impact of destruction or the horror of mayhem, we have to confront our perceptions of self-idealization and that's what Shiva and Leatherface motivate the everyday layman philosopher to do.

When Alfred Hitchcock released his ground-breaking suspense-paranoia film "Psycho" [1960], people started re-evaluating the importance of catharsis in art and philosophy.

When we look at a snapshot of a popular celebrity couple, perhaps shopping at the market/bazaar, we may think abut how modern media gives us unfiltered access to 'lifestyle colloquialization.'

Therefore, the processing of images in the private imagination, the spiritual/philosophical imagination, and in the public (or social) imagination shapes our attitude towards 'normalness.'

This is really what the paranormal is all about. We think about the afterlife and ghosts and hauntings and the enigmas of illusions and spirits to remind ourselves of the blessing and curse of fantastic intuition.

How then should we coordinate mystical omens (i.e., divine destruction) regarding Shiva with afterlife cynicism (i.e., death/horror) regarding Leatherface?

Why do we celebrate horror films such as "Ghost in the Machine" [1993] and "Ouija" [2014]?

o_O

Shiva

Leatherface

pairing.jpg

marriage.jpg

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you trolling at this point? Please no more Shiva/leatherface threads. Shiva may smell bad from all that ash, but he is by no means an asura (demon).

Abishai100

Spotlight Complications

Yes, I know, that was actually my last Shiva/Leatherface thread. I just find the Helter-Skelter culture dichotomy very fascinating.

I am not implying Shiva is a demon, but rather that we can reference him for complicated debates regarding self-destruction.

Sorry if I am creating vertigo (i.e., parapsychology branching)! Enjoy the thread for what it's worth (it will definitely be my last Shiva-Leatherface reference).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Shiva may smell bad from all that ash, but he is by no means an asura (demon).
Ash does not smell. It takes away smells/body oils, even if it is from a funeral pyre (most of that will be from wood).

1111.jpg

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, fire takes away all smells. Approx. 300 kg of wood to burn 60 kg of the body. The new pyres on rod platforms have free flow of air (as compared to funeral pyres built on ground). The fire burns even more brightly. And what is a human body? It is 60% water. Sorry for details, but that is what it is.

110902025626-anshul-garg-mokshda-story-top.jpg

Last edited:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I think it is ok, it is an interesting post.

As for ashes, they are part of religious and meditative and esoteric genre of many religions, including of course Lord Shiva. In some cases they can contain powers.

Ashes are in one way important to my lifestyle and "culture". For example, I put perfumed vibhootea (vibhuti) on my forehead everyday. And just yesterday I was again informing my wife (and relatives) of my funeral plans/will instructions: that my ashes be thrown in Ganga at Manikarnika, Kashi at Varanasi.

Else, no one gets nothing. No money, no neat stuff.

I love ashes, for some reason.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It's an interesting topic, but your OP is too dense and all over the place. Most people aren't going to know what the hell you're talking about. This isn't an academic journal.