• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shiva as Lord of the Dance

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was at a local gift shop yesterday and found myself studying a statue of Shiva dancing in a halo of fire standing atop some sort of being.

main-image

I've read a few things online regarding the symbolism of the piece, but I was wondering what the symbolism means to you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Actually it means a lot to me. Too much to go into any detail here. There is so much going on with Him.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually it means a lot to me. Too much to go into any detail here. There is so much going on with Him.

I was hoping to get some insights about some of the symbolism within the piece, such as the being He's standing on, the meaning of the halo of flames, the markings, the items He's holding, etc., but fair enough. :)

ajay0

According to yogic philosophy, the Shivalinga as Saguna Brahman is considered the first form to arise when creation occurs, and also the last form before the dissolution of creation. The Shivalingam is the source of all creation.

Linga is so called because all phenomena are dissolved in Siva at the time of cosmic dissolution, and it emerges from Siva once again at the time of creation. (Ajitagama, 3, 16-17).

As per my understanding, Shiva as Saguna Brahman emerges from Nirguna Brahman, and in turn the creation emerges from Shiva and after a span of time, dissolves back in Shiva at the time of cosmic dissolution, with Shiva returning back to Nirguna Brahman.

Imo, the moment of creation and cosmic dissolution could be what is described as the Big Bang and Big Crunch respectively in physics.

Since the creation is 'anadi' (beginningless) and cyclical in nature, the Shivalingam would keep arising in every fresh cycle of creation, repeatedly and without end. This seems to be mimicked by subatomic particles.

Fritjof Capra, in his book ‘The Tao of Physics’ paid due tribute to the Hindu view of matter and established its linkage and similarities with modern physics in 1972. He observed the linkage between the ancient Vedic mythology, religious symbolism, art and modern physics: “Every subatomic particle not only does an energy dance, but is also an energy dance; a pulsating process of creation and destruction...without end...For the modern Physicists, then, Shiva’s dance is the dance of subatomic matter.”

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was hoping to get some insights about some of the symbolism within the piece, such as the being He's standing on, the meaning of the halo of flames, the markings, the items He's holding, etc., but fair enough. :)
Sure ... Within it are his 5 actions or powers
- shrishti (emanation) represented by the damaru (drum) un the upper right hand ... this is the primal sound, issuing forth the rhythms and cycles of the universe
- stithi - (preservation) represented bu the steadfast right hand in a blessing posture
- samhara (dissolution) represented by the fire in his upper left hand in ardrachandra mudra, and the flame that starts the circle of fire
- tirobhava (obscuring grace) the power of hiding the truth, permitting soul experience, represented by his right foot on the ego (the dwarf Apasmarapurusha)
- anugraha (revealing grace) the granting of knowledge, represented by his raised foot, and the hand that points to it.

For me personally, it was Nataraja that called me back to Hinduism, very similar to what happened to you the other day, in a shop, but the main difference being that I bought Him. That particular murthi, as it was small, we later replaced with a panchaloka, (meaning made of 5 metals) larger one. That one is over at a close friend's house. The new one is the center of our shrine.

The main deity in my sampradaya is Nataraja. Our main temple at the center (esoterically) of the headquarters at Kauai Aadheenam has Nataraja as the central deity. There may be others, but the only other well known temple is the sacred Chidambaram temple in South India. Most of the main Siva temples have the Lingam in the moolasthanam (sanctum sanctorum).

I can just sit and stare at any Nataraja. Hope this helps some. There are books written on it though. This is the simple version. Just staring in awe is the very simple version.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
From the Tirumanthiram ... "The thirty-six elements dance. Sadasiva dances. Consciousness dances. Siva-Sakti dances. The animate and inanimate dance. All these and the Vedas dance when the Supreme dances His dance of bliss. The seven worlds as His golden abode, the five chakras as His pedestal, the central kundalini sakti as His divine stage, thus in rapture He dances, He who is Transcendent Light. He dances with the celestials. He dances in the golden hall. He dances with the three Gods. He dances with the assembly of silent sages. He dances in song. He dances in ultimate energy. He dances in souls--He who is the Lord of Dances. Tat Astu."
-- Saint Thirumoolar

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Lord Rama and Mother Sita, of course, none other than Lord Vishnu and Mother Lakshmi.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajay0

Hanuman was a worshipper of Rama and the Shivalingam, just as Rama was a worshipper of the Shivalingam.
One can see pictures of him worshipping the Shivalingam with Rama and Sita at Rameshwaram.

The famous Shiva temple (Ramanathaswamy Temple) was established by the Avatar Rama in Rameshwaram in honour of his Ishtadevata Shivalingam.

Rameshwaram mean's Rama's Eshwar or God, Shivalingam, while the Shivalingam's name there, Ramanathaswamy, implies Rama's Lord Shivalingam (Natha means Lord).

Rama instructed Hanuman to bring the Shivalingam from the Himalayas. As Hanuman delayed in bringing the Shivalingam, Sita built a Shivalingam from sand, which stands as the main deity in the temple. However the Shivalingam brought by Hanuman has been instructed by Rama to be worshipped first, a tradition that stands today as well.

The Ramanathaswamy temple is one of the twelve Jyothirlinga sites in India. At all these sites, the primary image is Lingam representing the beginningless and endless Stambha pillar, symbolizing the infinite nature of Shiva. Jyoti means 'radiance' and Lingam the 'Image or Sign' of Shiva; Jyotir Lingam thus means the radiant or luminous sign of Shiva.

As per the Vedas, the Shivalingam is said to represent a cosmic pillar of light. The Prajapita Brahmakumaris similarly state that Shiva is a point of light.

Last edited by a moderator:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I did go back and purchase the Nataraja statue today. It was sort of beckoning me all weekend.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I did go back and purchase the Nataraja statue today. It was sort of beckoning me all weekend.

I also found a brass one yesterday, about 6” diameter.

It’s funny you said beckoning you, because the first one I ever saw was at a souvenir kiosk in NY Penn Station many years ago. I regretted not buying it, t haunted me for years.

I have a resin one from several years ago that I kept in my shrine but now I have the brass one in its place. The resin one is in another display with other statues.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I also found a brass one yesterday, about 6” diameter.

It’s funny you said beckoning you, because the first one I ever saw was at a souvenir kiosk in NY Penn Station many years ago. I regretted not buying it, t haunted me for years.

I have a resin one from several years ago that I kept in my shrine but now I have the brass one in its place. The resin one is in another display with other statues.

The one I bought is a 6" brass one as well. This is an actual picture I just took...

upload_2019-3-10_19-16-2.png

There was a gold one as well, same one, but I was partial to the patina on this one.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was out at spiritual/metaphysical shops for a good part of the day yesterday and found two 12" ones, one brass and the other resin. I passed on them because there was something about this particular one, despite its size, that caused me to pass on the other two and come back to this one. Maybe something in the detailing...I don't know.

I actually went back to the shop where I saw this on Friday after my shopping yesterday at the other shops, sat in the parking lot, saw it through the window, and drove away.

I found myself driving back there earlier today just before lunch.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was out at spiritual/metaphysical shops for a good part of the day yesterday and found two 12" ones, one brass and the other resin. I passed on them because there was something about this particular one, despite its size, that caused me to pass on the other two and come back to this one. Maybe something in the detailing...I don't know.

I actually went back to the shop where I saw this on Friday after my shopping yesterday at the other shops, sat in the parking lot, saw it through the window, and drove away.

I found myself driving back there earlier today just before lunch.

Hehe. It's interesting how there could be 20 similar statues, yet just one of them was meant for you. We (Boss and me) were shopping in a deity shop in Madurai just outside the famous temple. Despite the owner's trying to point us to the expensive 'old' ones, none of them called. None of them felt right. We ended up buying one from a little shop more inside the premises. the owner had been taken out of poverty by a single sponsor from Germany, who helped her set up the shop. It just had the right feeling.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The one I bought is a 6" brass one as well. This is an actual picture I just took...

View attachment 27453

There was a gold one as well, same one, but I was partial to the patina on this one.

Nice!

I measured mine and found it’s actually 5”. I might paint the wooden base or put a small cloth. I get these wood pieces at a craft store and use them as bases.

82DB2EAC-E8BD-466E-BD7A-A9F3E57D500B.jpeg

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There’s something quintessentially Hindu about Nataraja. I don’t know if we (humans) have made it so or it’s one of those things that speaks volumes.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
There’s something quintessentially Hindu about Nataraja. I don’t know if we (humans) have made it so or it’s one of those things that speaks volumes.
The lost wax method of centuries ago made for some very fine artwork indeed. The picture in the OP shows some of that. It's hard to believe the detail in some of the larger ones. Quite the skill, making metal deities this way.