• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shirts with Hindu/Buddhist deities or symbols

Galen.Iksnudnard

One of my family members recently went on a trip to Thailand and brought me back a T-shirt that depicts the Hindu god, Ganesha. To me the design looks aesthetically pleasing and tasteful, but as I wore it in front of a Hindu friend, I realized that it might be insensitive.

I think it may be cultural appropriation. While I admire Hinduism and Buddhism, and appreciate the cultures they come from, I would not want to abuse or show disrespect to Hindus just because something looks good.

Can any Hindus or Buddhists weigh in? If you see someone who is obviously not a Hindu wearing a T-shirt depicting a Hindu deity, or Buddhist symbol do you feel offended that they your sacred symbols are being appropriated for fashion?

apophenia

I had a similar problem with a Sonny Barger T-shirt commemorating a HA Japan Run. It was given to me as a gift. I realised that 'cultural insensitivity' could get me into some serious trouble in this case, so I made sure the shirt found its way to a local chapter with my compliments. :D

I wouldn't worry about the Ganesha T-shirt if I were you. You don't need to be a card carrying member.

I would avoid eating beef hamburgers in front of hindus while wearing it, but beyond that, I don't think you need be too concerned about causing offense. Most likely you will get smiles and be considered very fortunate even if you are not a hindu.

Swastikas on the other hand, despite being auspicious to hindus and buddhists, may not be received well in some places ...

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm not a believer in sacred, so I would not be offended.

Of course, I find some fashion sartorially offensive!!

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Some hindu may find it offensive, some others won't.
I personally have no problem with how you are dressing as long as Ganesh is not depicted on your underwear or socks.
But my opinion is personal and does not reflect the one of other hindus, so be prepared not to have one answer, but many different ! :D

Aum Namah Shivaya

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I wouldn't be offended by someone wearing a religious symbol, even if they are not a member of that religion. What's the big deal?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I have found that those that find it necessary to defend their faiths usually have very little of it. It just a picture, not the real thing. This can probably be said about many who wear small gold crosses. I'm sure that to some it's only jewelry. So what? Shouldn't change what a true believer feels.

Galen.Iksnudnard

What's the big deal?

The big deal is that it is cultural appropriation.

One reason cultural appropriation can be bad, is that sometimes, it has the power to make people stereotype the original culture, or, make them see a version of it that is mostly invented by people who are not from that culture, and, not actually true. It can cause people to see the other culture as “strange” and “exotic”, because, they only see the other culture through the eyes of the people from their own culture. This usually happens when a very powerful culture takes things from a less powerful culture, and stereotypes them or creates their own idea about them, that erases people’s idea of the original culture.

Another reason it can be bad, is that rituals and history that have a strong meaning to the original culture, can be treated by outsiders as “just for fun”. Then, the ritual or history is treated in a way that is disrespectful and offensive, to someone who has it as a very deep part of their culture.

I personally have no problem with how you are dressing as long as Ganesh is not depicted on your underwear or socks.

It's a T-shirt. Though this actually raises the question on whether or not it would be acceptable for me to wear such a T-shirt underneath a button-down dress shirt like this:

Button-down.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm personally not offended. But at least part of the reason some would be is because it mixes sacred with mundane. Hindus don't normally put pictures of their deities in the bathroom, or above the washer for the same reason. So there is a sense of "This is sacred space, but this is mundane space". In temples it is "in here" versus "out there'. Wearing a pendant is traditional, and accepted, as it is considered sacred space on the body. A t-shirt isn't normally considered as sacred space.

crossfire

Premium Member
The big deal is that it is cultural appropriation.

One reason cultural appropriation can be bad, is that sometimes, it has the power to make people stereotype the original culture, or, make them see a version of it that is mostly invented by people who are not from that culture, and, not actually true. It can cause people to see the other culture as “strange” and “exotic”, because, they only see the other culture through the eyes of the people from their own culture. This usually happens when a very powerful culture takes things from a less powerful culture, and stereotypes them or creates their own idea about them, that erases people’s idea of the original culture.

Another reason it can be bad, is that rituals and history that have a strong meaning to the original culture, can be treated by outsiders as “just for fun”. Then, the ritual or history is treated in a way that is disrespectful and offensive, to someone who has it as a very deep part of their culture.
Oh, you mean like a hostile corporate takeover acquiring the copywrited logos of the assimilated corporation and using them as they see fit? Yeah, that is sorta cheap and cheesy. Although it would be a leap to assume that an individual is acting as a corporation, imo.

crossfire

Premium Member
Now, if there was an attempt to outlaw or otherwise restrict the wearing of certain religious symbols, or something along those lines, I would definitely wear that symbol as a sign of support to the respective group that would be affected. It would all depend upon the context.

Galen.Iksnudnard

Oh, you mean like a hostile corporate takeover acquiring the copywrited logos of the assimilated corporation and using them as they see fit? Yeah, that is sorta cheap and cheesy. Although it would be a leap to assume that an individual is acting as a corporation, imo.

Well I mean it's about respect. Assuming you're American, designing a doormat to look like the American flag is probably not a good idea. Using another culture's symbols out of context could be similarly offensive and in bad taste.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Well, I'm personally not offended, but I'm also a western adoptive. I do believe that certain images or symbols deserve my respect, but I know that not everyone feels that way about my faith.

I own a T-shirt created by the temple I used to attend which just has the name of the temple, the OM symbol and a short saying on the back "Nara seva, Narayan seva" (Service to humanity is service to God)

Now anyone looking at me who doesn't know me probably wouldn't think of me as Hindu given certain racial/cultural biases , but I can't really help that. I would hope that the nature of the T-shirt would at least clue them into the fact that if I'm not a Hindu I was at least very involved in Hinduism and am not wearing it out of disrespect, but because I have actually earned the trust of that particular Hindu community.

That being said, I understand your feelings about cultural appropriation. It's something I think about a lot too. You sound like you are uncomfortable wearing it in front of Hindus. In this case, why make yourself uncomfortable? If you still like it, wear it at home, or with the friend that brought it back for you.

:camp:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Well I mean it's about respect. Assuming you're American, designing a doormat to look like the American flag is probably not a good idea. Using another culture's symbols out of context could be similarly offensive and in bad taste.

The essence of freedom of speech, at least in America, is that you can design a doormat to look like the American flag.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
One reason cultural appropriation can be bad, is that sometimes, it has the power to make people stereotype the original culture, or, make them see a version of it that is mostly invented by people who are not from that culture, and, not actually true.

Although I'm not offended it is rather strange when you see some person wearing something or some symbol that they know absolutely nothing about, other than, 'it's cool'. It's like wearing a slogan shirt in a foreign language. What's the point, really? Maybe next time I see a Ganesha shirt, I'll invite the person to temple, so they can have a better idea of what it is they're wearing. :) Or I could stop and start chanting the names of Ganesha, and throwing rose petals at the person's shirt.

I think most people who do this are attracted to design, not Gods. And to be honest, there a re some very beautiful designs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Statues of both Ganesha & Lakshmi reside on my desk.
But I wouldn't wear them on clothing.
You may though.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Personally, I would not feel ill at ease with anyone wearing a Buddhist or Hindu image unless I felt it disrespectful in some sense, which a t-shirt IMO isn't. I assume that it is not a satire or something.

Supposedly you want to wear it because you find the image attractive. That is hardly disrespect in my book.