• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shintoism & Kami

Liu

Haven't heard of any, but wouldn't surprise me. I'm actually a bit into Japanese culture, though, so I might have heard of it if it was a thing. I have only heard of Buddhist saints who became kamis however.

Maybe you get more replies in the Shinto-DIR?
Shinto DIR

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Haven't heard of any, but wouldn't surprise me. I'm actually a bit into Japanese culture, though, so I might have heard of it if it was a thing. I have only heard of Buddhist saints who became kamis however.

Maybe you get more replies in the Shinto-DIR?
Shinto DIR
Excuse me , are you a syncretic?

This dir is not a free for all for for anyone listing more than one thing next to religion, or it shouldn't be.

Syncretic means you self identify as a syncretic.

Last edited:

Liu

I take inspiration from a lot of different religions. Also, Satanism in itself is basically a syncretic religion since it is about creating one's own religion, which of course will have influences from other religions.
So in that sense I can certainly identify as syncretic.

However, I'd understand if you have a problem with me posting in any other thread here, but this one here had zero replies and I at least had some advice to give to the OP. I don't see why it should bother you which DIR I identify with as long as what I write is helpful.
Also, the whole DIR is pretty much abandoned, so why this strict definition?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I take inspiration from a lot of different religions. Also, Satanism in itself is basically a syncretic religion since it is about creating one's own religion, which of course will have influences from other religions.
So in that sense I can certainly identify as syncretic.

However, I'd understand if you have a problem with me posting in any other thread here, but this one here had zero replies and I at least had some advice to give to the OP. I don't see why it should bother you which DIR I identify with as long as what I write is helpful.
Also, the whole DIR is pretty much abandoned, so why this strict definition?
It isn't helpful if you don't understand what syncreticism is. There isn't an indication that you do.

It is no different from any other dir, it isn't your concern, if there aren't a lot of threads, etc. We have denomination dirs, etc, that we don't just answer in, because they aren't busy with a lot of activity. No answer is better than a wrong answer, in this case its an ok answer, but for most other questions, non syncretics do answer incorrectly.

Liu

It isn't helpful if you don't understand what syncreticism is. There isn't an indication that you do.
According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, syncretism is
"the combination of different forms of belief or practice"
I think in my previous comment I explained how I do this?

"syncreticism" on the other hand seems to be not in the dictionary :p

It is no different from anybother dir, it isn't your concern, if there aren't a lot of threads, etc. We have denomination dirs, etc, that we don't just answer in, because they aren't busy with a lot of activity. No answer is better than a wrong answer, in this case its an ok answer, but for most other questions, non stncretics do answer incorrectly.
If you think I shouldn't post here, then report me to the admins; I don't understand why you still think so after the explanation I gave in my previous comment about my syncretism.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, syncretism is
"the combination of different forms of belief or practice"
I think in my previous comment I explained how I do this?

"syncreticism" on the other hand seems to be not in the dictionary :p

If you think I shouldn't post here, then report me to the admins; I don't understand why you still think so after the explanation I gave in my previous comment about my syncretism.

That definition is vague, and most of the general definitions are either vague, or wrong.

Do you post in the judaism dir, because satan is a hebrew word?

You obviously have no idea what syncreticism is

Liu

Then give me a better definition (and if I am supposed to take you seriously, at least start spelling it correctly).

The difference between syncretism and judaism is, the first is an approach to religion, the second is a religion.