• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shinto outside Japan

windcarver

Is Shinto practiced anywhere outside of Japan? I was wondering this because it is classified as a major world religion, but it is so strongly based on Ancient Japanese folklore and the like that it would be hard for someone outside of Japan to follow the religion. Does this mean it is only a major world religion because of the huge population of Japan? Or has it spread out across the world?

nutshell

I don't believe Shinto is original to Japan, but came from other parts of Asia, probably China. There aren't many practicing Shinto anymore...it's pretty much been replaced by Budhism.

Ody

nutshell said:
I don't believe Shinto is original to Japan, but came from other parts of Asia, probably China. There aren't many practicing Shinto anymore...it's pretty much been replaced by Budhism.

Its still practiced in Japan, my father actually was taken to a shinto temple in tokyo. And i think my friend Shaw, whos parents immigrated to america from japan, practices shintoism (i think 0.0)

nutshell

AlanGurvey said:
Its still practiced in Japan, my father actually was taken to a shinto temple in tokyo. And i think my friend Shaw, whos parents immigrated to america from japan, practices shintoism (i think 0.0)

I never said it was no longer practiced in Japan.

Ody

I mean't it still is up there with buddhism. Its basically neck and neck with Zen Buddhism in the numbers.

Mind_Zenith

Broadcasting Live!
Sorry to dredge this up, but I've got some factoids that may be of interest

I know Tenrikyo, Konkokyo and Omotokyo all are established outside of Japan. These aren't so much Shinto religions as religions with a lot of Shinto background, and ways similar to Shinto. Of these "new religions" as they are called, the most similar to Shinto is Kurozumikyo (which is worship of Ama-Terasu as the supreme being), but there isn't much in the way of english material on the subject.
There is a very famous temple in the USA. which actually has a caucasian priest as one if its servers. I'm not sure of the name, but in google directory under shinto, it's one of the first.
There's also a "sect" of Shinto created in the USA called "Interi Shinto", which was created by a former southern baptist minister. Might be worth a look.

Hope that's of assistance :drool:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I happen to live in the country with the largest foreign community of Japanese descendants (Brazil) and I must say, those are two puzzling statements.

For one, Shinto is nothing if not original to Japan. It's not like it leaves a lot of room for doubt, either. It is VERY native indeed. It is also, of course, similar to many other faiths oriented to spirits and nature, but even then it has a very strong proper identity.

For another, the very though of Buddhism replacing Shinto is somewhat weird. There is neither evidence nor reason to expect such a replacement to happen, and for cultural reasons it would be a very unlikely event.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I happen to live in the country with the largest foreign community of Japanese descendants (Brazil) and I must say, those are two puzzling statements.

For one, Shinto is nothing if not original to Japan. It's not like it leaves a lot of room for doubt, either. It is VERY native indeed. It is also, of course, similar to many other faiths oriented to spirits and nature, but even then it has a very strong proper identity.

For another, the very though of Buddhism replacing Shinto is somewhat weird. There is neither evidence nor reason to expect such a replacement to happen, and for cultural reasons it would be a very unlikely event.

According to wikipedia, Shinto was influenced by 5th Century Chinese writings. It also says: "While some Shinto practices and teachings were given a great deal of confidence during World War II, they are no longer taught or practiced today." I lived in Japan for a couple years and my wife is native Japanese. If you asked people on the street what religion they are they will almost always answer Buddhist. I found very few people who answered Shinto. Perhaps it was better maintained in Brazil.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It isn't.

Then again, I don't think it is accurate to find out about Shinto that way.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
According to wikipedia, Shinto was influenced by 5th Century Chinese writings. It also says: "While some Shinto practices and teachings were given a great deal of confidence during World War II, they are no longer taught or practiced today." I lived in Japan for a couple years and my wife is native Japanese. If you asked people on the street what religion they are they will almost always answer Buddhist. I found very few people who answered Shinto. Perhaps it was better maintained in Brazil.

From what I understand it's not surprising that they would answer Buddhist. Most if not all Japanese that I have heard talk about Shinto do not consider it a religion but away of life and tradition with there culture. So it can vary easily mix in with other practices.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Truth is, whether Shinto or Buddhist, there are very few Japanese practicing such a lifestyle or religion. Shinto and Buddhism are in the culture now and are most obviously reflected in things such as weddings and funerals and certain summer or New Year celebrations.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Hmmm, as far as I'm aware, not really. There is a Shinto shrine in Taiwan, and there are a few scattered around the world - but Shinto as a whole is pretty rare. I've never met a Japanese person who said "I'm Shinto", all of my Japanese friends will say "I'm Buddhist" or "I have no religion".

But, they all go to the Shrine on New Years', they say their itadakimasu and gochisosama ("grace" if you will) before and after eating, and quite a few of them of them even have a kamidana (God-shelf, a kind of altar) in their homes, and during discussions with them, 5/5 say (that is, I've spoken to 5 about it, and all 5 have said) about how everything has a kami.

But no, they don't classify it as religion, it's just so deeply ingrained into their culture that they don't see it as religion or superstition, but part of the way of life.

There are some people who are Shinto 'converts', but it's not really considered that important by most Shinto followers. Ironically enough, my friend Noah is a Shinto convert. :D - Unfortunately, many of his Japanese friends feel he is being dishonest religiously and don't understand why he would do that.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I have heard a saying that modern Japanese are born Shinto, married Christian and die as Buddhists, reflecting the fact that they utilize ceremonies from all of these faiths/traditions without really believing in or practicing any of them.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Shinto which is basically animism in "canonised" form was a long time native belief in Japan and had existed long prior to the introduction of Buddhism which had came much later and in a sense the two were intermixed into Japanese culture. -NM-

Ukonkivi

There is a Shinto shrine in Washington, United States that one may access in the United States of America. And fittingly, it's in an area of the United States with Temperate Rainforests.

hindupridemn

Defender of the Truth
Does anyone know if Shinto is related to Korean Sinkyo? I've heard Sinkyo referred to as "Korean Shinto" but this could be a misnomer.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Does anyone know if Shinto is related to Korean Sinkyo? I've heard Sinkyo referred to as "Korean Shinto" but this could be a misnomer.
I've never heard of Sinkyo. I can't even find anything on it in any of its alternate spellings. Do you mean what is referred to as "Korean shamanism"?