• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shinto esotericism?

Alea iacta est

Pretend that I wrote something cool.
Is there anything as Shinto esotericism? The Shinto religion itself is very spiritual so it might not be a need for an esoteric version of Shinto, as in many other religions? Are there any books about this? I searched for it online but could only find Shinto-Buddhist syncretism from China. It wasn't really what I was looking for.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've never heard of anything along the lines of "esoteric Shintoism". Sorry to be of no help.

Jumi

Good find! I wonder how traditional that cosmology is?
It's been a long while since I read it, and I'm unable to judge the traditionality of it since I'm not an expert in shinto. I only know it came highly recommended. It's a book from before the internet, so there are not many reviews or information about it. It goes for a rather low price, perhaps the name of the book is a bit off-putting to those modern people looking into shinto.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's been a long while since I read it, and I'm unable to judge the traditionality of it since I'm not an expert in shinto. I only know it came highly recommended. It's a book from before the internet, so there are not many reviews or information about it. It goes for a rather low price, perhaps the name of the book is a bit off-putting to those modern people looking into shinto.

Thanks for the recommendation! That's very helpful!