• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shbgenz

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
For those interested in Zen, a pdf ebook (8.7Mb) titled Shōbōgenzō can be downloaded at: The Shōbōgenzō - Dōgen / Free Download

From the introduction,..
The Shōbōgenzō is the recognized spiritual masterpiece by the thirteenth-century Japanese Sōtō Zen Master Eihei Dōgen. It is comprised of discourses that he gave to his disciples, in person or in writing, at various times between 1231 and his death twenty-two years later at age fifty-three.

These discourses cover a wide range of topics pertinent to those in monastic life though often also relevant to those training in lay life. He discusses matters of daily behavior and religious ceremonial as well as issues involving the Master-disciple relationship. He also explores the deeper meaning that informs the so-called Zen kōan stories, which often puzzle readers by their seeming illogicality and contrary nature.

Please feel free to comment on, question, post quotes, koans, etc.. at any time.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Excellent. Moon in a Dewdrop is another book on the writings of Dogen edited by Kazuaki Tanahashi which makes a fine companion to the Shobogenzo. Glad you put this up Ben!

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ben,
Thank you.
Am sure that every individual who are on the PATH/WAY/RELIGION should read works of masters like Dogen.
Zen as we know is the word which came from India *DHYANA* which became *CHAN* in China when Boddhidharma carried Buddhism to China and since India lies West of China it is still said "Buddhism came from the west*. This *CHAN* further down to Japan became Zen.
Zen is the best of the best as Buddhism itself had taken a leap out of Sanatan Dharma and then in China found lots of similarities with Taoism specially the understanding of *VOID* and then they merged beautifully to be condensed to just ZEN.
Zen in another word stands for meditation.
Zen is a way of life meaning living life with Awareness or being Conscious at all times.
It is a way of life. Living life to its fullest.
Finally it is meditation/dhyana/zen that the individual merges with the universal even be it through prayers or physical exercises like hath yoga or tai chi.
Zen monks lead ordinary lives, working for their living as any one. Outwardly no difference between them and every one else except that they live with Awareness, mindfulness and thereby live life fully.

Would appreciate if you bring out the stories/incidents from the book on these pages as though have it downloaded am a poor reader specially e-books.
Thank you once again.
Love & rgds

Twilight Hue

Waka Poem

On the Treasury of the True Dharma Eye

Waves recede.
Not even the the wind ties up a small abandoned boat.
The moon is a clear mark of midnight.

-translated by Brian Unger and Kazuaki Tanahashi-

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Nowhere Man,

Excellent. Moon in a Dewdrop is another book on the writings of Dogen edited by Kazuaki Tanahashi which makes a fine companion to the Shobogenzo. Glad you put this up Ben!

Request kindlly share the links to such books where free downloads are available.
Thanks.
Love & rgds

Twilight Hue

Friend Nowhere Man,

Request kindlly share the links to such books where free downloads are available.
Thanks.
Love & rgds

It's only in book form to my knowledge. You can order it from Amazon.com zenzrero assuming it's available in India. Presently at Amazon It costs around 10.88 American I think that converts to 505.2 rupees. I'm not aware of any free downloads at this time for this particular title unfortunately.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Nowhere Man,
Thanks.
Shall try and find if it is available in India as our currency is not convertible.
Thank you once again.
Love & rgds

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Hi All, glad to see it is endorsed by those who have already read it through.

Just begining it myself and from what has been experienced so far, it could be quite a long read. Seems that my mind goes off line periodically and slips into some sort of reverie,...profound stuff!

Regards.

Twilight Hue

Hi All, glad to see it is endorsed by those who have already read it through.

Just begining it myself and from what has been experienced so far, it could be quite a long read. Seems that my mind goes off line periodically and slips into some sort of reverie,...profound stuff!

Regards.

Just wait till the hard chewy twisty pretzel bits. ;)

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,
Before starting our discussions on each of the chapters let us understand what SHOBOGENZO means:

Q: What is Shobogenzo?

A: Shobogenzo is a Zen-text that was written by Dogen. The meaning of the name is: The Eyes and the Treasure of the True Law. The Treasure is the treasure that every human being has within him. The Eyes are the eyes of truth. Shobogenzo contains 95 chapters. It is considered worldwide as one of deepest and most important spiritual and philosophical work that was ever written in Japan. To understand Shobogenzo it is necessarily to sit Zazen.

Dogen' work contains the essence, and the most important points of Zen and Buddhism. In my opinion, no other Zen-text until this day can equal Shobogenzo. Dogen describes in Shobogenzo how any human being can find his true self and reach Satori. It contains Dogen' ideas on the existential state of the human being and his relationship to the world and the immediate reality. In Shobogenzo, Dogen writes about the destiny of every human being, the direct way to achieve Satori, understand time, life and death and many other subjects. Some of the most important chapters in this book are: GenjoKoan (finding Koan in daily living), Bendowa (how to learn Zen), Uji (on Time), Shoji (on life-death), Zenki (full functioning in daily life) and many others

Love & rgds

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
What an inspiring summary this is that appears at the end of the Chapter 8, Keisei Sanshoku: On ‘The Rippling of a Valley Stream, The Contour of a Mountain’
Keep in mind, we are as the Buddhas and Ancestors were in the ancient past: the Buddhas and Ancestors are what we will be in the future. When we look up to the Buddhas and Ancestors, we and They are but one single Buddha Ancestor. When we observe the arising of our resolve, it is but one and the same resolute Heart as Theirs. ‘Making our compassionate pity permeate every nook and cranny’ means knowing when to apply it and when to let go of it. This is why Zen Master Ryūge said, “If you have not yet realized your enlightenment in a past lifetime, by all means realize it now. In this life, ferry this body of yours, which is the product of successive past lives, to the Other Shore. Before the Buddhas of the past had awakened to the Truth, They were just like people today. Once they have completely awakened, people today will be as those Buddhas of the past.” You should take time to study and investigate this principle, for this is what all Buddhas
have guaranteed us will take place.

Oh, and the wonderful metaphorical summary of Chapter 7, Senjō: On Washing Yourself Clean. (We are all familiar with the analogy of the beautiful lotus flower whose roots are embedded in the mud.)
So, you see, the Buddha’s temple had its lavatory too. The form for dignified behavior in the Buddha’s lavatory was to wash oneself clean, and the Ancestors, in turn, passed this on to us. The conduct of the Buddhas has still been preserved: to follow the ancient ways is a great joy and something indeed hard to come by. Further, thankfully, the Tathagata gave voice to the Dharma for Rahula whilst in the lavatory. The lavatory was a place fit for the Buddha to turn the Wheel of the Dharma. How to conduct oneself in that training place of the Way is what the Buddhas and Ancestors truly Transmitted.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ben,
Truly the *lav* the greatest place for discovery of the self as *lab* is to science.
Love & rgds

Twilight Hue

Friend ben,
Truly the *lav* the greatest place for discovery of the self as *lab* is to science.
Love & rgds

"I saw somebody peeing in Jermyn Street the other day. I thought, is this the end of civiliaztion as we know it? Or is it simply somebody peeing in Jermyn Street?"
-Alan Bennett-

Wa Dok

Tea Man
Willa Jane Tanabe speaks of Dogen's affection for the Lotus Sutra. He carved it into the center posts of his last hut (death wait home). I find this interesting since the Lotus Sutra is mostly an exoteric sutra wheras the foundation sutras of ch'an/zen are esoteric as defined by copies sold/read/discussed (Diamond, Heart, Flower Garland, Lanka etc..
Hakuin was reported to have affection for the Lotus Sutra although he had earlier dismissed it as lacking merit or much hard content.
Could you comment on this?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Willa Jane Tanabe speaks of Dogen's affection for the Lotus Sutra. He carved it into the center posts of his last hut (death wait home). I find this interesting since the Lotus Sutra is mostly an exoteric sutra wheras the foundation sutras of ch'an/zen are esoteric as defined by copies sold/read/discussed (Diamond, Heart, Flower Garland, Lanka etc..
Hakuin was reported to have affection for the Lotus Sutra although he had earlier dismissed it as lacking merit or much hard content.
Could you comment on this?
The longer I have been practicing, the more relevant the Lotus Sutra seems to become. It strikes me as a sort of advanced text, which wouldn't make much sense to someone trying to grasp the basics, but that has much meaning to someone who has grounded their life in practice for an extended period of time.

Wa Dok

Tea Man
The Lotus Sutra has become important because it establishes cause and effect within one body. Other sutras direct us to conjured cities through practice while the Lotus Sutra may deliver us to our real destination through a spiral of faith and value attainment. Some like to say that it is only popular because it promises many benefits. I disagree.
Still, it is unfortunate that many developed practices, centered on the Lotus, do not center at all on meditative benefits, but rather on vocal or artistic surfeit. Zhiyi would be appalled, as he is the main stay of many correct paths of quietude and concentration.