• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shave and a Haircut: Two Bits!

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, I doubt anyone here has paid $.25 for a shave and a haircut.

But how often do you shave? If it's been a while, when is the last time you shaved?

How often do you get your hair cut? When was your last?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm going to answer on behalf of my husband. (Why? Because I don't have anything better to do.)

Before we lost the bathroom(temporary renovation), he shaved every day in the morning before work, other than the mornings he slept through his alarm. He doesn't shave his beard, but doesn't naturally grow much facial hair, so its just a scraggly goatee(which looks nice enough on him).

He hasn't cut his hair since right before our wedding.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Shave every 2nd or 3rd day usually.
Haircut....every 2 or 3 months.
Most of the time I'm rather unkempt.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
At this point I haven't shaved since April.

My last real haircut was in 1992.

From that time up until the beginning of the pandemic I hadn't even had a trim.

When the pandemic started I trimmed it myself, with the plan of cutting it all off and maybe even shaving my head. Reason being I figured it would just be easier to decontaminate myself anytime I came back from the store or whatever. I chickened out though. :p

I wound up just trimming my bangs a bit and the rest a bit, which kind of backfired: for most of my life I left my hair completely uncut and just put it in a ponytail. After I gave myself a haircut I couldn't put it in a ponytail anymore so it was basically all over the place.

It's back to ponytail length now.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
At this point I haven't shaved since April.

My last real haircut was in 1992.

From that time up until the beginning of the pandemic I hadn't even had a trim.

When the pandemic started I trimmed it myself, with the plan of cutting it all off and maybe even shaving my head. Reason being I figured it would just be easier to decontaminate myself anytime I came back from the store or whatever. I chickened out though. :p

I wound up just trimming my bangs a bit and the rest a bit, which kind of backfired: for most of my life I left my hair completely uncut and just put it in a ponytail. After I gave myself a haircut I couldn't put it in a ponytail anymore so it was basically all over the place.

It's back to ponytail length now.

I shared your concerns. I shaved my head and my face until early December. I've done nothing since.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Haven't shaved for about 40 years but did lose my beard to chemo for a while. A haircut happens when the wife tells me to.

We Never Know

No Slack

But how often do you shave? If it's been a while, when is the last time you shaved?

I shave usually every two days to get rid of the stuble. I cut my own hair about every three weeks. I keep it about a 1/16 to a 1/4 inch long.

I can't grow a full beard, it gets splotchy if I try, too much native American blood in me I reckon. I can grow a little goatee though.
I have maybe 8 chest hairs, hardly an leg or arm hair. But I'm not complaining.

Arm...
IMG_20210913_214126.jpg

Leg...
IMG_20210913_214229.jpg

Last edited:

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

I shave about twice a week. A haircut is something I get every three, four, five, or six months. I want to get into the habit of shaving every other day, and it would be nice to get a haircut every two months, but I don’t like barber shops.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

It's changed a little through lockdown. Generally I'd shave every second day, but if I had any client meetings, or whatever, I'd shave that day. And if I'm on leave, I quite enjoy getting scruffy. Heck, I even grew a moustache last time I had a month off. The photos from that trip still make me chuckle.

Hair cuts aren't needed as often as they used to be. I basically just shave my head, so can do it at home. Still, I'll sometimes drop in at a barbers if convenient. Quicker, and less mess.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...

I went to a '20s themed jazz party 2 weeks ago, and was the first time in months I've shaved. Also the first time ever I've I've given myself a pencil moustache. It was a bit of fun, but not something I intend to do again in the foreseeable.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Good question.

Hair hasn't been cut since the pandemic started in earnest. And certainly wasn't $0.25, closer to $25.
But it was long before then. My hair is longer then my wife's and typically in a ponytail.

My beard.... I shaved it off in January, and I haven't touched it since, so like 9 months.

Edits

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Beard at it's 9 months mark.

IMG_20210913_204628.jpg

For those of you with long beards how in Muspelheim do you avoid eating your moustache?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
You learn to live with a little hair in your food. Runny eggs are the #1 problem for the bearded gent.

I end up chewing on the ends of it, lol. Since it's curls inwards I can't open my mouth without hair going in haha.

I find messy burgers to be more of a nuisance then eggs. But then again I eat my runny eggs on toast, or rice.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I end up chewing on the ends of it, lol. Since it's curls inwards I can't open my mouth without hair going in haha.

I find messy burgers to be more of a nuisance then eggs. But then again I eat my runny eggs on toast, or rice.

I don't know what it is but egg yolk sets like concrete in seconds. The only way to get it out is a shower.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The value of currency has changed drastically, whether in India or in the US. I do remember the rate of milk (0.5 Rupees/kg, now 50), ghee (clarified butter 4 R/kg, now 500), goat meat (1.25 R/kg, now 650), but I do not remember the rate for shaving and hair cut.

In my childhood, we had a family barber, Kanji ba - Kanyhaiyya ji (Krishna's name, ba as in Bapu, honorific, uncle, grandpa. It was obligatory and a requirement for civility to use honorific for an elder, whatever caste he/she may hail from), a very endearing person, living in the neighborhood and employee of Jodhpur Museum which my grandpa headed. My grandpa employed many people from the neighborhood in his office when the native kings ruled under the British. Perhaps grandpa paid him 1 R for the haircut. Kanji was a very charitable person, he had no son. He got a well dug for people in his village and a hospice somewhere where pilgrims could stay for free, both considered very good karmas. So may Kanji live happily in heaven with grandparents and my parents for company. I am sure, my grandpa is bossing around there also.

In my teens (1957), it might have been 3 R for haircut and shave. I might have tipped that barber 2 R for the my first shave. Till recently it was 80 R (a little more than USD 1) for a haircut when Covid pushed it to 100 R. To put that in perspective, it is equivalent to USD 1.3 today. So, yes, I have paid much less for haircut and shave. I have always had the business cut, no variations. Don't like hair touching my ear or on my nape (like what my grandpa ordered).

Normally I have a monthly haircut, had it about 10 days ago. I used to shave alternate days but I have reduced the frequency these days to once in three days. I do not go for shave at the salon, I am comfortable with my old three piece brass safety razor (which needs a cleaning now) and Gillette-Wilkinson blades (USD 0.20 for 5), though we have a lots of shavers around in the house. One blade lasts me five shaves or about a fortnight. Very good blades.

617HZ5783QL._CR204,0,1224,1224_UX256.jpg
31AX4QGkv0L._AC_.jpg

A haircut happens when the wife tells me to.
Yeah, I consult my wife before going for a haircut, but I can reject her advice ("you do not need it at present", "Yes, I need it. It is time that I had one").

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I can't remember the last time I cut my hair. My hair is long enough that I have to be careful not to sit on it. I use 8 scrunchies (at the same time) to keep it restrained.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't remember the last time I cut my hair. My hair is long enough that I have to be careful not to sit on it. I use 8 scrunchies (at the same time) to keep it restrained.

My husband has trouble with that... he wraps it in this huge knot most of the time; he's required to for work. For awhile, he wore a chef's hat over the knot, and it stuck up so high it made the hat stick up in such a manner it looked like he had a cone head.

The Crimson Universe

How often do you shave? If it's been a while, when is the last time you shaved?

I shave once a week.

How often do you get your hair cut?

I've changed my hairstyle a lot over the years.

images

I kept this ''Nick Carter hairstyle" back in 2003 with a partition in the middle. My friends used to tease me coz of this look, even though i considered it cool back then.

==================

images

In 2008, i kept a wavy/curly kinda long hair, (along with a beard), so that people won't mistake me for a girl lol.

==================

images

Then in 2009 & 2010, i kept the "Patrick Bateman/Christian Bale hairstyle". Used to apply oil, sometimes gel and combed the hair back. Also kept it a little long in the back. I think it was popular in the 90s if i'm not wrong. For me Its super easy to manage and i really dig this look.

==================

images

Then for the last 10 years (2011-2021) I've been keeping the buzz cut hairstyle. Sometimes i go to the barber shop for this buzz cut. Other times i do it in my home, using an electric trimmer machine. Its perfect for summer or hot/humid weather.

===============

How often do i get a haircut?
Well it depends.
When i get a hairstyle of my choice, I try to keep it for months (sometimes 3 to 6 months) without cutting it. But if i don't like the cut, i'll go to the barber shop after every few weeks.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I shave my head almost every day. I haven’t shaved my face since April 2015.