• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sharia Activist Linda Sarsour to give Commencement at CUNY

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
When did you become an expert on Islamic reform? I think Islamic reform well could be as simple as discarding many aspects of Sharia and acknowledging that some parts of the scripture and Muhammad's life should be retired from consideration.

Seriously, what's your best guess as to what parts of Islam you think Sarsour is in favor of? The one idea I got is "no charging of interest on bank loans". What else?
Muslim Reform Movement - Wikipedia
This is the official reform movement, with the leaders included so you can read their individual statements. Compare and contrast to Muslim beliefs like this one:
Sharia | Teaching Tolerance - Diversity, Equity and Justice

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Muslim Reform Movement - Wikipedia
This is the official reform movement, with the leaders included so you can read their individual statements. Compare and contrast to Muslim beliefs like this one:
Sharia | Teaching Tolerance - Diversity, Equity and Justice

I have read of these guys before, the MRM - I think they are on the right track! I've heard that they're not getting much traction though - too bad. I don't believe Sarsour is a member, perhaps I'm wrong?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have read of these guys before, the MRM - I think they are on the right track! I've heard that they're not getting much traction though - too bad. I don't believe Sarsour is a member, perhaps I'm wrong?
I don't know. Aside from a handful of Twitter posts she has been pretty private about her beliefs, though being feminist and actively supporting female voices sets her pretty apart from conservative Muslims. But my point is the reform movement is not the only personal Sharia belief within Islam. She could have any number of other non-reform but liberal Muslim beliefs.

icehorse

Premium Member
I don't know. Aside from a handful of Twitter posts she has been pretty private about her beliefs, though being feminist and actively supporting female voices sets her pretty apart from conservative Muslims. But my point is the reform movement is not the only personal Sharia belief within Islam. She could have any number of other non-reform but liberal Muslim beliefs.

I have always acknowledged that Islam means different things to different Muslims. That said, there are some commonly held beliefs that are quite problematic. So the fact that not all Muslims hold these problematic beliefs doesn't give cover to Islam. Enough hold them for Islam to accurately be labeled problematic. Bad things don't have to be 100% bad all the time to be labeled "bad".

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have always acknowledged that Islam means different things to different Muslims. That said, there are some commonly held beliefs that are quite problematic. So the fact that not all Muslims hold these problematic beliefs doesn't give cover to Islam. Enough hold them for Islam to accurately be labeled problematic. Bad things don't have to be 100% bad all the time to be labeled "bad".
I've never seen any sort of statistic that indicates me that anything more than a minority holds views that actively threaten me or my freedoms. I have a bigger statistical reason to distrust men as a group then Muslims as a group, and I don't even do that.

icehorse

Premium Member
I've never seen any sort of statistic that indicates me that anything more than a minority holds views that actively threaten me or my freedoms. I have a bigger statistical reason to distrust men as a group then Muslims as a group, and I don't even do that.

Well there are relatively few Muslims in the US. But polling of Muslims in the UK is troubling as is polling of Muslims worldwide. I can share those links yet again...

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well there are relatively few Muslims in the US. But polling of Muslims in the UK is troubling as is polling of Muslims worldwide. I can share those links yet again...
Not if it's another poll about Sharia that doesn't define what Sharia means to the Muslim being polled.

icehorse

Premium Member
Anyway @ADigitalArtist , I want to applaud you for finding the link to the Muslim Reform Movement. This is really all I've been trying to get across. These folks are taking an honest look at how Islam is / has become incompatible with modernity. I might not agree with them 100%, but I support them wholeheartedly anyway.

Same link again: The World’s Muslims: Religion, Politics and Society

From the page:
We have to take back the faith. And we have to take it back with the principles of peace, social justice, and human rights, women's rights, and secularize governance... we've had enough.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I wouldn't call that second one specific at all, as in it doesn't actually define what Sharia means to the people. That first one though, that's a shame. And I certainly don't laud that. But, when the majority of Christians wanted homosexuality banned I still wouldn't have argued to fear or remove Christianity from among us. And now today most Christians don't push sodomy laws. So maybe there's hope for even the most conservative side of Islam.

(Incidentally my Muslim friend here meets with me and my two lesbian friends quite often with no complaint, and voted for gay marriage.)

Notanumber

A Free Man
I wonder if she would cancel if they invited David Wood to attend the same event.

I wonder if she would cancel if they invited Ayaan Hirsi Ali to attend the same event.

I wonder if she would debate Islam with either of these experts on the subject.