• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Share your winter holiday happiness

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Festivus for the rest of us.... It doesn't matter your faith tradition, there seems to be something for everyone, and for those who live in other lands where you don't, join in our forum celebration anyhow!

This thread is for us all to share things like, what our holiday means to us, our religious traditions, our family traditions, and any other mirth you want to spread around.

For me, Chanukah begins on the evening of December 2. I'll write more about this as the holiday approaches. For now, a little gender levity:

If it had been three wise women, they would have:
  • Asked directions
  • Arrived on time
  • Helped deliver the baby
  • Given practical gifts
  • Cleaned the stable
  • And made a casserole

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Although I'm not religious, I like Christmas because it's a day I spend with younger brother and his family. In the evening, they lay on a feast for about 35 guests. Younger brother has a superb wine cellar in his basement. That's an added boon. Only time of the year I drink alcohol these days -- but what alcohol!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well since you mentioned mirth.

I like to pretend to be Ebenezer Scrooge and go into my room and close the door with a bowl of soup that has potato and beef in it and wait for Jacob Marley to show up.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
We celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas and another other holiday whereas we can eat.

IndigoChild5559

We celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas and another other holiday whereas we can eat.
Wonderful.

I'm curious. You identify as Catholic. Are you married to a Jew? Are you a Catholic Jew (I know there are Catholic Jews who keep Jewish traditions)? If you have no real connection to the Jewish people, what Chanukah traditions do you incorporate, and how do you feel it is meainingful to you? Or is your entire posts tongue in cheek? LOL

Happy Christmakuh or however they say it lol.

IndigoChild5559

Although I'm not religious, I like Christmas because it's a day I spend with younger brother and his family. In the evening, they lay on a feast for about 35 guests. Younger brother has a superb wine cellar in his basement. That's an added boon. Only time of the year I drink alcohol these days -- but what alcohol!
Nice!

Although at its core, Christmas is a Christian Holy Day, it has transcended that to become an international, multicultural day of giving, family, and joy. Atheists even put up Christmas trees and join the celebration. I've heard that it is very big in Japan, which is a decidedly non-Christian culture. Although observant Jews do not celebrate Christmas unless they have Christian family (generally speaking), the secular aspects of the season are more Jewish than you think -- we cornered the market on writing all those secular Christmas songs.

White Christmas
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire
Let it snow
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year
Santa Baby
Silver Bells

Jewish collaborations with the Irish:
Winter Wonderland
I'll be Home for Christmas.

I very much share the Dennis Prager approach to Christmas. It may not be a holy day I celebrate as a Jew, but I think my community is better for having it. It's not just the wonderful lights and decorations and wonderful Christmas caroles, which bring joy even to me. It's the fact that people tend to be a little kinder, more loving, during this time of year.

So on that note, I'll wish all those of you who keep it, Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

Maqsood

On every world, wherever people are, in the deepest part of the winter, at the exact mid-point, everybody stops and turns and hugs, as if to say, well done. Well done, everyone. We're halfway out of the dark.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Wonderful.

I'm curious. You identify as Catholic. Are you married to a Jew? Are you a Catholic Jew (I know there are Catholic Jews who keep Jewish traditions)? If you have no real connection to the Jewish people, what Chanukah traditions do you incorporate, and how do you feel it is meainingful to you? Or is your entire posts tongue in cheek? LOL

Happy Christmakuh or however they say it lol.
Our oldest daughter and her two daughters are Jewish, and our youngest daughter and her three kids are Catholic, and our son and his daughter are secular but his wife is Pentecostal (Christian). We celebrate both sets of holidays and never argue religion.

My wife is Catholic and I'm a reconverted Catholic who had been active in my synagogue (Reform) for over 20 years. Both of our theologies are very liberal, to say the least

How about you and yours? .

Poisonshady313

Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Festivus for the rest of us.... It doesn't matter your faith tradition, there seems to be something for everyone, and for those who live in other lands where you don't, join in our forum celebration anyhow!

This thread is for us all to share things like, what our holiday means to us, our religious traditions, our family traditions, and any other mirth you want to spread around.

For me, Chanukah begins on the evening of December 2. I'll write more about this as the holiday approaches. For now, a little gender levity:

If it had been three wise women, they would have:
  • Asked directions
  • Arrived on time
  • Helped deliver the baby
  • Given practical gifts
  • Cleaned the stable
  • And made a casserole
I help my rabbi put up large aluminum menorahs in several towns near and including my home town. On a given night, each of them will have a festive community lighting ceremony. The best part? The donuts and hot apple cider.

20181125_221509.jpg

IndigoChild5559

Our oldest daughter and her two daughters are Jewish, and our youngest daughter and her three kids are Catholic, and our son and his daughter are secular but his wife is Pentecostal (Christian). We celebrate both sets of holidays and never argue religion.

My wife is Catholic and I'm a reconverted Catholic who had been active in my synagogue (Reform) for over 20 years. Both of our theologies are very liberal, to say the least

How about you and yours? .
My kids are secular although they don't mind going to synagogue when they visit me (my daughter did attend Jewish services all during her service in the Army). My son's fiance is Catholic. Some of my extended family are Christian. I visit them for their holiday just as they visit me for mine. :) Last year when Chanukah fell on Christmas we did try having a Christmakah party. The only thing I've asked of my family is that they please not plan their Christmas party on Shabbat if they want me to come.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Christmas Day is great.
I get to stay home.
And then it's out for Chinese food.

The time leading up to it is tedious though....the horrid gift giving ritual exercises.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm happy that it's cold rather than suffocatingly hot. I'm happy to celebrate the rebirth of the Sun around the Solstice this year instead of the Christian holiday. :)

IndigoChild5559

As we draw nearer to Chanukah, I'd like to share one of my favorite traditions, and that is watching the HEBREW HAMMER. It is a totally tongue in cheek "Save Chanukah from Evil Santa" flick, which totally laughs at ludicrous racial stereotypes a la typical New York humor. It's an absolute blast.

There's a sequel now, Hebrew Hammer vs Hitler (it's about Trump) but I haven't been able to find it online.

Last edited:

IndigoChild5559

THE TRUE MEANING OF CHANUKAH

Now that we are in the middle of Chanukah, I'd like to say something more serious, because it truly is a holiday with depth and meaning. Most people are familiar with the "Chanukah miracle" where there was only enough oil for the menorah for one day, but the menorah burned for eight days, time enough to purify and rededicate the Temple. But that barely scratches the surface of Chanukah.

Alexander the Great conquered Judea, and began the process of Hellenization. You see, the Greeks weren't content to simply occupy and tax us -- they wanted to impose their culture and religious system. I could wax eloquent on the many oppressive laws they passed intended to turn Jews into Greeks, but I'll jump to the nitty gritty. They sacrificed a PIG (treif!) to a statue of Zeus in the temple of our God. This was the abomination of desolation, and we went to war, not just over the sacrilege, but for the very survival of the Jewish people as Jews. We kicked the Greeks out of Judea, and rededicated the temple. And so the true meaning of Chanukah is fighting against empire and standing against oppression. It is remembering who you are when the rest of the world wants you to forget it. The real lights of Chanukah shine within.

The following picture captures the spirit of Chanukah more than any other I know of. It was taken in 1931 in Kiel Germany during Chanukah. Behind the Menorah resting in the window you can see the Swastika flag in the Nazi headquarters across the street. The photographer wrote a few words on the back of the photo: "“Chanukah, 5692. ‘Judea dies’, thus says the banner. ‘Judea will live forever’, thus respond the lights”.

A+menorah+defies+the+Nazi+flag+,+1931.jpg