• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Share some pearls from your path

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Not sure if anyone has posted this gem - can be found in most religions/philosophies -

Treat others the way you would like to be treated yourself.

Love the thread!

:)

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
I've read those threads, and found them to be more satire than scholastic.

I'm not looking for showmanship, I'm chasing scholarship. And I found nowt in those threads - thank you for play though! ;)

Peace.
Maybe it's because you grew up with it that you think Islam is so great. It's a little puzzling to me though, that three religions claim the same god who has given each a different 'holy' book, and they
don't agree, so they try to kill each other instead...... And yes, I've tried to read the Koran, and I've read the history of your leader, and none of either would indicate a world I would want to live in.
For example I find Sura 5:51 - "Believers, take neither Jews nor Christians for your friends. They are friends with one another." Or Sura 3:118 - "Believers, do not make friends with any men other than your own people. They will spare no pains to corrupt you. They desire nothing but your ruin."

Last edited:

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Not sure if anyone has posted this gem - can be found in most religions/philosophies
You did say most, but Heathenry actually has the opposite, "treat others how they treat you" (with beforehand advices to be reserved, polite, hospitable, courteous, etc):

"So it is with him | who thou hardly wilt trust,
And whose mind thou mayst not know;
Laugh with him mayst thou | but speak not thy mind,
Like gifts to his shalt thou give."

Hávamál s.46

corynski

Reality First!
Premium Member
"Either God wills to remove evil from the world, and cannot; or he can, and will not; or he neither wills nor can; or finally he wills and can. If he wills and cannot, he is impotent; if he can and will not, he is wicked; if he neither wills nor can, he is wicked and impotent at the same time; if he can and wills, why does evil exist?" Epicurus, 342-270BC

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Here's a Buddhist prayer -

May all beings everywhere plagued
with sufferings of body and mind
quickly be freed from their illnesses.
May those frightened cease to be afraid,
and may those bound be free.
May the powerless find power,
and may people think of befriending
one another.
May those who find themselves in trackless,
fearful wilderness–
the children, the aged,
the unprotected–
be guarded by beneficial celestials,
and may they swiftly attain Buddhahood.

All the best!

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"When you carry out acts of kindness you get a wonderful feeling inside. It is as though something inside your body responds and says, yes, this is how I ought to feel."

101 karma quotes

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
"I believe that the first test of a truly great person is his or her humility. I do not mean by humility, doubt of his or her own powers. But really great people have a curious feeling that the greatness is not in them, but through them. And they see something divine in every other person."

~ John Ruskin

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Oooooooo....I've got one from Bahá’u’lláh!

“Consort ye with the followers of all religions in the spirit of friendliness and fellowship.”

Deidre

Some pearls:

Christianity - the virtues of Jesus are worth nothing, imo. I love how he handles situations, and makes himself accessible even when it's not convenient. His humility takes me away.

Islam - I personally love Sufism, I find it soothing, and comforting, yet filled with passion and uplifting. I find that Islam has a beautiful mystical side, which one can meditate and find peace.

LHP - I've learned to respect myself, and not feel ashamed to trust in my choices, and believe in myself. In Christianity, I had learned that focusing on self is sinful, but I don't believe it is. The LHP is largely about focusing on self, but not in a narcissistic way.

syo

I like how ecumenical this forum is and thank the staff for giving me a second chance. I'm grateful for the wisdom I've seen come from Muslims, Hindus, Christians, Shamans, Animists, Deists, Necromancers, spiritists, Buddhists, heathens, Luciferians, Mormons, Atheists, agnostics, pagans, and the many different paths members of RF are on. I have seen valuable wisdom, understanding, insight, and Charity come from people on all of these paths.

To better appreciate your walk, please share some wisdom you have learned from your faith. Perhaps it is a favorite text or quote or a valuable lesson you have learned. I appreciate any pearls you have to offer :)
what a great thread!

matthew 25;

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?

When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
10-to-Zen.jpg

Fun & Inspiring Archives - Page 65 of 98 - Tiny Buddha