• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Share some pearls from your path

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Ah I see!

There was no church at the time of Jesus the Messiah. peace be upon him. You got your history confuddled here!

Sounds very much like a polytheists answer, not a monotheist one! You sure you worship God and not dead people?

You do realize the epistles of Paul 1 & 2 which made it into Corinthians (and Romans) are forgeries, right?

Now you have!

Peace
I worship God and believe that he has provided friends, Angels, and spirits to help me.

Jesus founded a Church.
Matthew 16:18
New International Version
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

The second Pope was Pope Linus in 67 AD

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
be aware of Matthew 7:6
Personally I've never really liked that passage. If something is truly great, then not even a herd of swine can mar it.

---------------------------------

WP_20170831_01_41_07_Pro.jpg

"A man shall not boast | of his keenness of mind,
But keep it close in his breast;
To the silent and wise | does ill come seldom
When he goes as a guest to a house;
(For a faster friend | one never finds
Than wisdom tried and true.)"

~Hávamál s. 6 - Bellows translation
(Illustration by Sam Flegal, The Illustrated Hávamál, pg 8)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Meher Baba:

To penetrate into the essence of all being and significance, and to release the fragrance of that inner attainment for the guidance and benefit of others, by expressing in the world of forms truth, love, purity and beauty — this is the sole game which has any intrinsic and absolute worth. All other happenings, incidents and attainments in themselves can have no lasting importance.

Mohsen

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته
I worship God and believe that he has provided friends, Angels, and spirits to help me.

Jesus founded a Church.
Matthew 16:18
New International Version
And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

The second Pope was Pope Linus in 67 AD

Strange you follow a Pauline doctrine then! Peter and Paul did not see eye to eye on anything! And Peter did not founder a "church" in Rome. He just moved there. Paul, however, did!

The New Testament is not what I call an historical work, nor the word of God but rather, a book of men - which is Fallible! Falsifiable! And proven to contain errors, omissions, interpolations and fabrications. And all this isn't my Muslim stance - but one adopted from Christian scholars and historians of the faith you follow!

Peace

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Strange you follow a Pauline doctrine then! Peter and Paul did not see eye to eye on anything! And Peter did not founder a "church" in Rome. He just moved there. Paul, however, did!

The New Testament is not what I call an historical work, nor the word of God but rather, a book of men - which is Fallible! Falsifiable! And proven to contain errors, omissions, interpolations and fabrications. And all this isn't my Muslim stance - but one adopted from Christian scholars and historians of the faith you follow!

Peace
You are entitled to your opinion. I see wise and stupid verses in the new Testament, old testament, and Qur'an.

I don't follow an ancient text when it goes against my conscience. I believe the answers lie within. God speaks to the heart.

I respect what others believe insofar as it doesn't lead to bigotry, persecution of other faiths, or harming others. I don't respect the Catholic views that lead to such behavior.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I'm on a phone so I don't see the box description.
If you turn your phone landscape you should see the box, and rotate lock has to be off if your phone has it.

Here is some great insight from Joseph Campbell from the Power of Myth. Hope you like Star Wars.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
"I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death

that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me

and through me.

And when it has gone past

I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone

there will be

nothing.

Only I will remain."

Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I like how ecumenical this forum is and thank the staff for giving me a second chance. I'm grateful for the wisdom I've seen come from Muslims, Hindus, Christians, Shamans, Animists, Deists, Necromancers, spiritists, Buddhists, heathens, Luciferians, Mormons, Atheists, agnostics, pagans, and the many different paths members of RF are on. I have seen valuable wisdom, understanding, insight, and Charity come from people on all of these paths.

To better appreciate your walk, please share some wisdom you have learned from your faith. Perhaps it is a favorite text or quote or a valuable lesson you have learned. I appreciate any pearls you have to offer :)

Here are some I like.

“The Beautiful chariots of kings wear out, This body too undergoes decay. But the Dhamma of the good does not decay: So the good proclaim along with the good.”
— Buddha

The Dhamma, the Law of kamma and truths, will not decay even though our bodies will.

Attachments

• e67c2b49f8ec9129e31f4ecdb39fa692--family-tree-quotes-quote-family.jpg
    e67c2b49f8ec9129e31f4ecdb39fa692--family-tree-quotes-quote-family.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0

Kemosloby

Premium Member
One of my favorites. Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast. ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them. under their feet, and turn again and rend you

Daemon Sophic

From an agnostic, some basics of life: these are off the top of my head, and there are of course many more....

1. Question everything, especially "authority". Don't foolishly deny it just because....rather, seek evidence. Seek proof, then work with it from there.

2. Politeness is required from you in all situations, but not respect. Respect is to be earned; not granted, and especially not taken for granted.

3. Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.

4. Be honest, but you don't have to be frank. Consider how your words and deeds will effect others. Don't let someone lie to you or others without correcting them....nicely at first.

5. Think ahead....several steps if possible. Always try to consider how your actions in the now will effect the future for everybody. (personally, I find this one to be perhaps the most noble feature that seperates good people from non-human animals, and from other humans) -- Foresight. Related to this is "Think globally, act locally".

6. Know your limits, and try to push them, without hurting yourself.

7. Know your audience.

8. Your reputation is how others see you. But your character is how you are when nobody can see you. The latter is much more important.

9. Violence and greed are most often the product of poor impulse control. Learn to be patient. Learn to savor delayed gratification.

10. Work hard.

11. The law is a human attempt to gain justice. Justice is more important. Vengeance is not justice.

12. Have fun as long as you're not hurting anyone else.

More later....perhaps.

Sanzbir

From the Chuang Tzu:

Master Ssu, Master Yu, Master Li, and Master Lai were all four talking together. "Who can look upon nonbeing as his head, on life as his back, and on death as his rump?" they said. "Who knows that life and death, existence and annihilation, are all a single body? I will be his friend!"

The four men looked at each other and smiled. There was no disagreement in their hearts and so the four of them became friends.

All at once Master Yu fell ill. Master Ssu went to ask how he was. "Amazing" said Master Yu. "The Creator is making me all crookedy like this! My back sticks up like a hunchback and my vital organs are on top of me. My chin is hidden in my navel, my shoulders are up above my head, and my pigtail points at the sky. It must be some dislocation of the yin and yang!"

Yet he seemed calm at heart and unconcerned. Dragging himself haltingly to the well, he looked at his reflection and said, "My, my! So the Creator is making me all crookedy like this!"

"Do you resent it?" asked Master Ssu.

"Why no, what would I resent? If the process continues, perhaps in time he'll transform my left arm into a rooster. In that case I'll keep watch on the night. Or perhaps in time he'll transform my right arm into a crossbow pellet and I'll shoot down an owl for roasting. Or perhaps in time he'll transform my buttocks into cartwheels. Then, with my spirit for a horse, I'll climb up and go for a ride. What need will I ever have for a carriage again?

"I received life because the time had come; I will lose it because the order of things passes on. Be content with this time and dwell in this order and then neither sorrow nor joy can touch you. In ancient times this was called the `freeing of the bound.' There are those who cannot free themselves, because they are bound by things. But nothing can ever win against Heaven - that's the way it's always been. What would I have to resent?"

Suddenly Master Lai grew ill. Gasping and wheezing, he lay at the point of death. His wife and children gathered round in a circle and began to cry. Master Li, who had come to ask how he was, said, "Shoo! Get back! Don't disturb the process of change!"

Then he leaned against the doorway and talked to Master Lai. "How marvelous the Creator is! What is he going to make of you next? Where is he going to send you? Will he make you into a rat's liver? Will he make you into a bug's arm?"

Master Lai said, "A child, obeying his father and mother, goes wherever he is told, east or west, south or north. And the yin and yang - how much more are they to a man than father or mother! Now that they have brought me to the verge of death, if I should refuse to obey them, how perverse I would be! What fault is it of theirs? The Great Clod burdens me with form, labors me with life, eases me in old age, and rests me in death. So if I think well of my life, for the same reason I must think well of my death. When a skilled smith is casting metal, if the metal should leap up and say, `I insist upon being made into a Mo-yeh!' 17 he would surely regard it as very inauspicious metal indeed. Now, having had the audacity to take on human form once, if I should say, `I don't want to be anything but a man! Nothing but a man!', the Creator would surely regard me as a most inauspicious sort of person. So now I think of heaven and earth as a great furnace, and the Creator as a skilled smith. Where could he send me that would not be all right? I will go off to sleep peacefully, and then with a start I will wake up."

Master Sang-hu, Meng-tzu Fan, and Master Chin-chang, three friends, said to each other, "Who can join with others without joining with others? Who can do with others without doing with others? Who can climb up to heaven and wander in the mists, roam the infinite, and forget life forever and forever?" The three men looked at each other and smiled. There was no disagreement in their hearts and so they became friends.

After some time had passed without event, Master Sang-hu died. He had not yet been buried when Confucius, hearing of his death, sent Tzu-kung to assist at the funeral. When Tzu-kung arrived, he found one of the dead man's friends weaving frames for silkworms, while the other strummed a lute. Joining their voices, they sang this song:

Ah, Sang-hu!

Ah, Sang-hu!

You have gone back to your true form

While we remain as men, O!

Tzu-kung hastened forward and said, "May I be so bold as to ask what sort of ceremony this is - singing in the very presence of the corpse?"

The two men looked at each other and laughed. "What does this man know of the meaning of ceremony?" they said.

Tzu-kung returned and reported to Confucius what had happened. "What sort of men are they anyway?" he asked. "They pay no attention to proper behavior, disregard their personal appearance and, without so much as changing the expression on their faces, sing in the very presence of the corpse! I can think of no name for them! What sort of men are they?"

"Such men as they," said Confucius, "wander beyond the realm; men like me wander within it. Beyond and within can never meet. It was stupid of me to send you to offer condolences. Even now they have joined with the Creator as men to wander in the single breath of heaven and earth. They look upon life as a swelling tumor, a protruding wen, and upon death as the draining of a sore or the bursting of a boil. To men such as these, how could there be any question of putting life first or death last? They borrow the forms of different creatures and house them in the same body. They forget liver and gall, cast aside ears and eyes, turning and revolving, ending and beginning again, unaware of where they start or finish. Idly they roam beyond the dust and dirt; they wander free and easy in the service of inaction. Why should they fret and fuss about the ceremonies of the vulgar world and make a display for the ears and eyes of the common herd?"

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
I like how ecumenical this forum is and thank the staff for giving me a second chance. I'm grateful for the wisdom I've seen come from Muslims, Hindus, Christians, Shamans, Animists, Deists, Necromancers, spiritists, Buddhists, heathens, Luciferians, Mormons, Atheists, agnostics, pagans, and the many different paths members of RF are on. I have seen valuable wisdom, understanding, insight, and Charity come from people on all of these paths.

To better appreciate your walk, please share some wisdom you have learned from your faith. Perhaps it is a favorite text or quote or a valuable lesson you have learned. I appreciate any pearls you have to offer :)

Jesus said, "You trust God, trust me also."

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
It's not really a saying from Heathenry, but I do like the line from Nightwish's "End of All Hope" that says "Wounded is the deer that leaps highest," which says to me about the fight for life, and how we tend to fight harder when we're threatened.

Vee

Premium Member

I could give you pages of examples on how the Bible has helped me being a better person and better managing my life in general but I'll just leave you with my favorite: Matthew 7:12 "All things therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must do to them".
Pretty self explanatory, treat others the same way you want to be treated.
Applying this principle in my life has help me be more respectful of others no matter what our difference may be and in turn I found people respect me too because that's how I set the pace of our relationship, personal or professional.