• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Share favorite Recipes for Thanksgiving and Christmas

Milton Platt

Just wanted to start a new thread for everyone to share their favorite recipes they cook for the holidays. Don't be afraid to share the secret family recipes....we won't tell anyone!!!

It will be interesting to share recipes across culture and countries.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well since this is the recipe that led to your idea for this thread, I might as well repeat it here:

Christmas Pudding

There are lots of recipes but this one I have used many times and I know is quite widely liked:-

It's quite a long list of ingredients but fairly easy to make once assembled. Quantities for 2 puddings, given in Imperial units (the recipe is old enough to still use oz). The ingredients are given in the order in which it is recommended to add them, mixing at each step or couple of steps as common sense dictates.

8oz suet
1 heaped teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4oz self-raising flour (flour plus baking powder - standard in the UK but don't know elsewhere)
1lb soft brown sugar (I use 3/4 to make it less sweet)
8oz breadcrumbs grated from a stale loaf (doesn't have to be completely stale)
8oz sultanas (I find these fairly pointless so substitute chopped prunes)
8oz raisins
1 1/4 lb currents (1lb is fine)
2oz chopped almonds (I use 4oz because I like them)
2oz mixed candied peel (I use 3oz)
grated rind (zest) of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 apple peeled, cored and diced (I use a cooking apple for more acid to balance overall sweetness)

Once these dry ingredients are mixed, you mix up separately :
4 beaten eggs
10 floz stout (Guinness or equiv)
4 tablespoons rum (I substitute 8 tbsp cognac or armagnac, as it goes better with the prunes)

and pour this lot over it.

Then you stir it all together thoroughly by hand (don't use a machine or you may break up the fruit into mush)- this takes a few minutes: important to ensure all the dried fruit and sugar is wetted so it can soak up the liquid, and leave overnight covered with a cloth for this to occur.

You then butter 2 pudding basins, fill them right to the top with the mixture, and tie over a sheet of greaseproof paper and some Al foil (the latter helps the string to stay in position just below the lip of the basin - you want a decent seal). Then you put them in a large covered pan with gently boiling water coming about halfway up the basins, and steam/boil them for 8hrs, topping up the water when necessary. Then the puddings, still in their basins, go in the cellar or somewhere cool for at least 2 weeks, preferably 4, before use. (I once made them only a week before and the taste was not as good.) Don't be alarmed if you get an oily layer of suet on the water at the end. This is normal.

They need to be reheated and served hot. Either 2hrs in another boiling water pan (best), or possibly microwaved - but in the latter case I would turn them out of the basin first - the outer part can overheat, dry and stick to the basin so it doesn't come out in one piece as a nice dome. (This happened when I took one to my brother year before last.)

Classically you serve the pudding flambeed, by turning it out onto a warmed serving plate, spooning over cognac with a pre-heated spoon, and setting fire to it before carrying it, with a certain degree of ceremony, to the table.

Brandy butter is the traditional accompaniment but I prefer to make brandy cream - just whipped cream with a teaspoon of sugar and some cognac in it.

It is heavy, from the days long before central heating, so serve in modest portions. But pretty good, provided your guests have not OD-ed on turkey etc. I took some to France last year and the French family ate almost the whole thing.

Wandering Monk

Gluhwein: Hot spiced wine

Instructions
  1. Stick whole cloves into the orange slices and place into a large stockpot.
  2. Add orange juice, sugar, ginger, cinnamon sticks, star anise, vanilla and bay leaf, and bring it all to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer. Simmer for 30 mins, add 1 cup of wine and simmer for another 30 mins, until thick and syrupy.
  3. When the syrup is ready reduce heat to low and pour in remaining wine and add brandy. Bring just to a gentle simmer and heat for about 5 minutes. DO NOT BOIL.
  4. Strain out orange sliced and spices and ladle wine into glasses and serve warm. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and orange peel if desired.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Rich fruit cake

8in (20cm) Round tin

Currants 14oz (400g)
Sultanas 7oz (200g)
Raisins 7oz (200g)
Shelled Almonds 2oz (60g)
Citrus peel 1oz (30g)
Glace cherries - halved 4oz (115g)
Plain Flour 7oz (200g)
Mixed Spice - half level teaspoon
Eggs - 3 large
Butter or margarine 7oz (200g)
Soft dark brown sugar 7oz (200g)
One lemon-grated and juiced
Brandy or Cognac -as required

Prepare a moderately hot oven (200 C, 400F gas 6). Grease a cake tin and line it with a double thickness of greaseproof paper. Brush the paper with melted butter.

Cut a double strip of brown paper or newspaper, one inch higher than the depth of the tin; wrap it around the outside of the tin and secure with string. This insulates the tin and helps even cooking.

Cream the butter or margarine in a mixer until light and fluffy. Add the beaten eggs, a little at a time and stir in the lemon rind.

Add fruit, almonds and citrus peel and mix well. Stir in the flour, mixed spice, sugar and lemon juice. Mix well and then place into the tin, pressing the mixture down the sides. Smooth top with the back of the spoon.

Place the cake tin onto a double sheet of brown paper on a baking tray.

Reduce the oven temperature to cool 165C, 325F, gas 3, place the cake tin in the centre of the oven and cook for one hour.

For the second hour reduce to 150C, 300F gas 2.

For the third hour reduce to 140C, 275F gas 1.

Test the cake is sufficiently cooked by pressing with the fingers on the top of the cake. If cooked the cake should spring back and have begun to shrink from the sides of the tin.

If not sufficiently cooked after three hours, return the cake to the oven testing every 1/2 hour.

To complete cooking place a piece of brown paper on the top of the cake and cook for a further one hour.

Remove from the oven and leave to cool inside the tin.

When cool, remove cake from the tin and peel off the paper.

Using a skewer or fork prick cake all over the top and spoon in some of the alcohol. Turn the cake upside down and treat the base similarly.

Wrap the cake in cling film and store in a cake tin or large plastic container.

Repeat pricking and adding the alcohol every couple of weeks.

Ice the cake a week before eating.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Bûche de Noël (Christmas log)

6oz (175g) caster sugar, plus extra for dredging
3oz (75g) plain flour, plus extra for dredging
1oz (20g) cocoa powder
3 medium eggs
Melted butter, for greasing
1 tablespoon of coffee liqueur or walnut liqueur

For the filling
250g (9oz) chestnut puree
1 tablespoon of coffee or walnut liqueur

To decorate
6oz plain chocolate, broken into pieces
Holly leaves and berries cake decorations.

Heat the oven to 200C, 400F, gas 6.

Brush a Swiss roll tin with melted butter, then line with baking parchment and grease the paper. Dredge with caster sugar, then flour. Knock out any excess.

Sift the flour and cocoa powder together three times until they are thoroughly combined, set aside.

Whisk the eggs in a bowl with the sugar until the mixture leaves a trail for a few seconds.

Gently fold in the flour to the mixture. Do not over mix or you will lose valuable air but make sure there are no pockets of flour.

Fold in the liqueur.

Gently pour the mixture into the prepared tin, checking for any pockets of flour as you do so.

Lightly level the surface and bake for about 10-12 minutes until the edges shrink away from the tin.

Lay a damp tea towel on the work surface followed by a sheet of baking parchment. Dredge the parchment with caster sugar. Carefully turn the cake out onto the parchment.

Leave to cool for about 4 minutes, and then carefully peel away the top baking parchment and trim the crusty edges.

In a bowl mix the liqueur into the chestnut puree. Spread carefully over the sponge. Roll up carefully into a Swiss roll and leave to cool.

Make a bain-marie by taking a large pan and fill a quarter full of water.

Place the chocolate into a small bowel and gentle lower into the pan of water, simmer the water until the chocolate has melted. Take out of the bain-marie and place onto a tea-towel.

Spread the chocolate over the log and leave until almost set, place decorations on top. Leave until chocolate is fully set and sprinkle with caster sugar.

The log should keep for a few days in an air tight container.

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Not really a recipe but if you haven't brined a turkey the night before you cook it you're missing out on a treat. There are many good recipes on the net for this. I have been using the one from the Food Network for years, and I have never had a bad turkey since.

Milton Platt

Not really a recipe but if you haven't brined a turkey the night before you cook it you're missing out on a treat. There are many good recipes on the net for this. I have been using the one from the Food Network for years, and I have never had a bad turkey since.

You can short cut the process a bit of you have an injector....but yeah, it isn't quite the same.

Milton Platt

1oz (20g) cocoa powder
3 medium eggs

For the filling

To decorate

Brush a Swiss roll tin with melted butter, then line with baking parchment and grease the paper. Dredge with caster sugar, then flour. Knock out any excess.

Sift the flour and cocoa powder together three times until they are thoroughly combined, set aside.

Whisk the eggs in a bowl with the sugar until the mixture leaves a trail for a few seconds.

Gently fold in the flour to the mixture. Do not over mix or you will lose valuable air but make sure there are no pockets of flour.

Fold in the liqueur.

Gently pour the mixture into the prepared tin, checking for any pockets of flour as you do so.

Lightly level the surface and bake for about 10-12 minutes until the edges shrink away from the tin.

Lay a damp tea towel on the work surface followed by a sheet of baking parchment. Dredge the parchment with caster sugar. Carefully turn the cake out onto the parchment.

Leave to cool for about 4 minutes, and then carefully peel away the top baking parchment and trim the crusty edges.

In a bowl mix the liqueur into the chestnut puree. Spread carefully over the sponge. Roll up carefully into a Swiss roll and leave to cool.

Place the chocolate into a small bowel and gentle lower into the pan of water, simmer the water until the chocolate has melted. Take out of the bain-marie and place onto a tea-towel.

Spread the chocolate over the log and leave until almost set, place decorations on top.

Thank you for the contribution! Can't wait to try this.

Milton Platt

Rich fruit cake

8in (20cm) Round tin

Currants 14oz (400g)
Sultanas 7oz (200g)
Raisins 7oz (200g)
Shelled Almonds 2oz (60g)
Citrus peel 1oz (30g)
Glace cherries - halved 4oz (115g)
Plain Flour 7oz (200g)
Mixed Spice - half level teaspoon
Eggs - 3 large
Butter or margarine 7oz (200g)
Soft dark brown sugar 7oz (200g)
One lemon-grated and juiced
Brandy or Cognac -as required

Prepare a moderately hot oven (200 C, 400F gas 6). Grease a cake tin and line it with a double thickness of greaseproof paper. Brush the paper with melted butter.

Cut a double strip of brown paper or newspaper, one inch higher than the depth of the tin; wrap it around the outside of the tin and secure with string. This insulates the tin and helps even cooking.

Cream the butter or margarine in a mixer until light and fluffy. Add the beaten eggs, a little at a time and stir in the lemon rind.

Add fruit, almonds and citrus peel and mix well. Stir in the flour, mixed spice, sugar and lemon juice. Mix well and then place into the tin, pressing the mixture down the sides. Smooth top with the back of the spoon.

Place the cake tin onto a double sheet of brown paper on a baking tray.

Reduce the oven temperature to cool 165C, 325F, gas 3, place the cake tin in the centre of the oven and cook for one hour.

For the second hour reduce to 150C, 300F gas 2.

For the third hour reduce to 140C, 275F gas 1.

Test the cake is sufficiently cooked by pressing with the fingers on the top of the cake. If cooked the cake should spring back and have begun to shrink from the sides of the tin.

If not sufficiently cooked after three hours, return the cake to the oven testing every 1/2 hour.

To complete cooking place a piece of brown paper on the top of the cake and cook for a further one hour.

Remove from the oven and leave to cool inside the tin.

When cool, remove cake from the tin and peel off the paper.

Using a skewer or fork prick cake all over the top and spoon in some of the alcohol. Turn the cake upside down and treat the base similarly.

Wrap the cake in cling film and store in a cake tin or large plastic container.

Repeat pricking and adding the alcohol every couple of weeks.

Ice the cake a week before eating.

I knew someone who made several fruit cakes a month or so ahead of time and added rum or cognac several times and let it "percolate". I never got the recipe, but it was the most moist, "fruitiest" fruit cake I ever had.

Milton Platt

Well since this is the recipe that led to your idea for this thread, I might as well repeat it here:

Christmas Pudding

There are lots of recipes but this one I have used many times and I know is quite widely liked:-

It's quite a long list of ingredients but fairly easy to make once assembled. Quantities for 2 puddings, given in Imperial units (the recipe is old enough to still use oz). The ingredients are given in the order in which it is recommended to add them, mixing at each step or couple of steps as common sense dictates.

8oz suet
1 heaped teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4oz self-raising flour (flour plus baking powder - standard in the UK but don't know elsewhere)
1lb soft brown sugar (I use 3/4 to make it less sweet)
8oz breadcrumbs grated from a stale loaf (doesn't have to be completely stale)
8oz sultanas (I find these fairly pointless so substitute chopped prunes)
8oz raisins
1 1/4 lb currents (1lb is fine)
2oz chopped almonds (I use 4oz because I like them)
2oz mixed candied peel (I use 3oz)
grated rind (zest) of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 apple peeled, cored and diced (I use a cooking apple for more acid to balance overall sweetness)

Once these dry ingredients are mixed, you mix up separately :
4 beaten eggs
10 floz stout (Guinness or equiv)
4 tablespoons rum (I substitute 8 tbsp cognac or armagnac, as it goes better with the prunes)

and pour this lot over it.

Then you stir it all together thoroughly by hand (don't use a machine or you may break up the fruit into mush)- this takes a few minutes: important to ensure all the dried fruit and sugar is wetted so it can soak up the liquid, and leave overnight covered with a cloth for this to occur.

You then butter 2 pudding basins, fill them right to the top with the mixture, and tie over a sheet of greaseproof paper and some Al foil (the latter helps the string to stay in position just below the lip of the basin - you want a decent seal). Then you put them in a large covered pan with gently boiling water coming about halfway up the basins, and steam/boil them for 8hrs, topping up the water when necessary. Then the puddings, still in their basins, go in the cellar or somewhere cool for at least 2 weeks, preferably 4, before use. (I once made them only a week before and the taste was not as good.) Don't be alarmed if you get an oily layer of suet on the water at the end. This is normal.

They need to be reheated and served hot. Either 2hrs in another boiling water pan (best), or possibly microwaved - but in the latter case I would turn them out of the basin first - the outer part can overheat, dry and stick to the basin so it doesn't come out in one piece as a nice dome. (This happened when I took one to my brother year before last.)

Classically you serve the pudding flambeed, by turning it out onto a warmed serving plate, spooning over cognac with a pre-heated spoon, and setting fire to it before carrying it, with a certain degree of ceremony, to the table.

Brandy butter is the traditional accompaniment but I prefer to make brandy cream - just whipped cream with a teaspoon of sugar and some cognac in it.

It is interesting to see the similarities between the Christmas pudding and the fruitcake common in the U.S. See post #4 below

It is heavy, from the days long before central heating, so serve in modest portions. But pretty good, provided your guests have not OD-ed on turkey etc. I took some to France last year and the French family ate almost the whole thing.

Milton Platt

Cranberry sauce

If you don't care for the cranberry "jello" that comes in a can every Thanksgiving, give this a try. Even if you do like the canned stuff, try this along side that.

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice (I use the kind with the pulp, but that's just me)
1/2 cup water
12 oz pack of cranberries
pinch of salt
1 cinnamon stick (if you use ground, be careful...you can overdo it)
1 piece of orange peel (just use a vegetable peeler or paring knife)

1. combine sugar, orange juice, and water in large sauce pan over medium heat. Stir to combine.
2. Add cranberries, salt, cinnamon stick, and orange peel.
3. Bring to a simmer and stir constantly.
4. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes or until all or most of the cranberries have popped.
5. Let cool for at least 30 minutes, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Cranberry sauce

If you don't care for the cranberry "jello" that comes in a can every Thanksgiving, give this a try. Even if you do like the canned stuff, try this along side that.

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice (I use the kind with the pulp, but that's just me)
1/2 cup water
12 oz pack of cranberries
pinch of salt
1 cinnamon stick (if you use ground, be careful...you can overdo it)
1 piece of orange peel (just use a vegetable peeler or paring knife)

1. combine sugar, orange juice, and water in large sauce pan over medium heat. Stir to combine.
2. Add cranberries, salt, cinnamon stick, and orange peel.
3. Bring to a simmer and stir constantly.
4. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes or until all or most of the cranberries have popped.
5. Let cool for at least 30 minutes, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Or if you want to keep it simple follow the recipe on the 12 oz. packet, one cup of sugar, one cup of water. Cook as in your recipe. Pure and simple. I have had more than one person that turned up their nose at the canned glop go nuts over this simple dish.

Milton Platt

Or if you want to keep it simple follow the recipe on the 12 oz. packet, one cup of sugar, one cup of water. Cook as in your recipe. Pure and simple. I have had more than one person that turned up their nose at the canned glop go nuts over this simple dish.

Yep, used that recipe for years...found the addition of orange and cinnamon perked it up.

Thanks for the contribution!!!

Milton Platt

1oz (20g) cocoa powder
3 medium eggs

For the filling

To decorate

Fold in the liqueur.

Spread the chocolate over the log and leave until almost set, place decorations on top.

Ooooh....never tried this...Thanks!!!!

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Stuffing versus dressing. Now I know an unstuffed turkey supposedly cooks more evenly. Well you can just stuff that. For those that do not know stuffing is dressing that is stuffed into the bird. If it cooks outside of the bird it is dressing. My favorite part of thanks giving is the stuffing and not the turkey. The turkey is a source of gravy and stuffing. The meat is a side bonus. The problem is that I make much more dressing than I need. How to get that turkey flavor in it? Since I do not use the neck generally I will give that a quick roast on a sheet pan with some veggies. Then throw that in a stock pot first thing in the morning. By the time I get the dressing in the oven, last hour to hour and a half I will have a good stock brewed. I do not filter out the little strands of neck meat. I cook the dressing uncovered so that it dries out a bit and use the unfiltered stock to moisten and flavor tge dressing. Anything left over is added to the gravy. You cannot have too much gravy or stuffing, but both need full flavor.

Milton Platt

Stuffing versus dressing. Now I know an unstuffed turkey supposedly cooks more evenly. Well you can just stuff that. For those that do not know stuffing is dressing that is stuffed into the bird. If it cooks outside of the bird it is dressing. My favorite part of thanks giving is the stuffing and not the turkey. The turkey is a source of gravy and stuffing. The meat is a side bonus. The problem is that I make much more dressing than I need. How to get that turkey flavor in it? Since I do not use the neck generally I will give that a quick roast on a sheet pan with some veggies. Then throw that in a stock pot first thing in the morning. By the time I get the dressing in the oven, last hour to hour and a half I will have a good stock brewed. I do not filter out the little strands of neck meat. I cook the dressing uncovered so that it dries out a bit and use the unfiltered stock to moisten and flavor tge dressing. Anything left over is added to the gravy. You cannot have too much gravy or stuffing, but both need full flavor.

For me it is all about the stuffing/dressing. I make both bread and cornbread dressing. I eat some turkey on Thanksgiving, but wait patiently for the leftover turkey to make glorious sandwiches.

I have made it from scratch many times, but lately have leaned on the Pepperidge Farms mixes. They are a reasonable sub and I make so much in the way of side dishes these days to satisfy everyone, it's just easier.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
For me it is all about the stuffing/dressing. I make both bread and cornbread dressing. I eat some turkey on Thanksgiving, but wait patiently for the leftover turkey to make glorious sandwiches.

I have made it from scratch many times, but lately have leaned on the Pepperidge Farms mixes. They are a reasonable sub and I make so much in the way of side dishes these days to satisfy everyone, it's just easier.
My mother used to use a box mix for cornbread to make a quick batch and add to her regular bread crumbs. I was listening to a radio show on cooking and they mentioned that particular brand which the chefs liked even though it was rather inexpensive. My ears perked up when I heard they said it was probably the lard in the recipe that gave it that flavor. My brother is a Seventh Day Adventist. Lard is a big no no. I told him that I was changing the recipe and why. I buy one box of herb and one box of cornbread stuffing by Mrs. Cubbinson. Though with a twenty pound bird this year I may need another box.

Milton Platt

I have also found that if you don't truss up the legs, they cook better as well. Just put an aluminum foil "hat" on the end of each leg.
As to stuffing and/or dressing....I'll take it either way. And the turkey??? It's for sandwiches the following week.

And baste with olive oil or duck fat instead of the drippings. Duck fat is available online. The drippings contain moisture that will prevent the skin from crisping up.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I have also found that if you don't truss up the legs, they cook better as well. Just put an aluminum foil "hat" on the end of each leg.
As to stuffing and/or dressing....I'll take it either way. And the turkey??? It's for sandwiches the following week.

And baste with olive oil or duck fat instead of the drippings. Duck fat is available online. The drippings contain moisture that will prevent the skin from crisping up.

I have a very nice roaster that puts the bird in its own little compartment. No basting needed. Plus the oven door stays closed so the heat stays in. I buy an electric thermometer with a lead that comes out of the oven I don't have to check the bird until it hits that perfect temperature. The only downside is that it does not get that nice roasted look. So for last few minutes I uncover the bird. Have the rack at the lowest level and turn on the broiler until the color is right. I want some distance from the broiler otherwise the high parts get cooked to fast.

I once also got a fresh turkey after Thanksgiving. I had to the store was almost giving them away. They could not freeze them so they had to be sold fast. I butchered it myself And froze the various parts, since there were only two of us and this was a big bird. All I had left was the back and the majority of the bones. I roasted that until it was done and found out that most of the fat that supplies the drippings is in the back of the bird. That bare carcass made almost as much gravy as a whole turkey. I also "stuffed it". I got my favorites all over again. And had turkey that I could cook in various different ways for later.

Milton Platt

I have a very nice roaster that puts the bird in its own little compartment. No basting needed. Plus the oven door stays closed so the heat stays in. I buy an electric thermometer with a lead that comes out of the oven I don't have to check the bird until it hits that perfect temperature. The only downside is that it does not get that nice roasted look. So for last few minutes I uncover the bird. Have the rack at the lowest level and turn on the broiler until the color is right. I want some distance from the broiler otherwise the high parts get cooked to fast.

I once also got a fresh turkey after Thanksgiving. I had to the store was almost giving them away. They could not freeze them so they had to be sold fast. I butchered it myself And froze the various parts, since there were only two of us and this was a big bird. All I had left was the back and the majority of the bones. I roasted that until it was done and found out that most of the fat that supplies the drippings is in the back of the bird. That bare carcass made almost as much gravy as a whole turkey. I also "stuffed it". I got my favorites all over again. And had turkey that I could cook in various different ways for later.

I like all of that. Next year, try the duck fat basting. It will add to the already great process you have. I just order a jar on Amazon.