• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sharad Purnima: Inspires understanding of Brahman-ParamAtmA

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Namaste

Sharad Purnima. Such a special Purnima, and it is literally true, not an exaggeration.
Also celebrated as KoJAgiri PurnimA (when Shri Lakshmi goes around asking "ko jAgiri?" "Who is awake? " - nice Pun, Lakshmi )

The full moon on Sharad PurnimA is 3-Dimensional, celestially golden , much larger and like a real wonder in the sky as compared to the other full moons. No wonder Shri KRshNa chose this purnima for the Maharaas as promised.

The moon rays are astonishingly sharp, but very cool. You do not need street lights. Sheetal (cool), just like KRshNa. The moon itself is so full round and beautiful - just like KRshNa.

So, on Sharad Purnima, my Bhagavad Geeta opened right to chapter 13, and my eyes fell directly on BG 13.16! And that was no coincidence. Let's take a look.

BG 13.16 bahir antaśh cha bhūtānām acharaṁ charam eva cha
sūkṣhmatvāt tad avijñeyaṁ dūra-sthaṁ chāntike cha tat

That Bramh exists outside and inside all living beings, everything that is moving and stationary (char-achar). Bramh is subtle, and hence, incomprehensible. Bramh is very far, but also very near.

That is just like the moonrays of Sharad Purnima, sharp (teekshNa), yet cool (sheetal) and illuminating everything, pervading the atmosphere.

Someone might say - what's new - Sun is a very common analogy for ParamAtmA , sun-rays pervading everything.

Yes, but the moonrays of Sharad PurnimA are eerily beautiful and there is something magical about it. First, they are cool, not hot, and they are dazzling silver-white.

I think this Purnima is a great time to contemplate on the nature of Bramh a.k.a. ParamAtmA. The moon resembling BhagavAn is something I mentioned above, but really BhagavAn IS Bramh' inclusive of the special apparent appearance, and the true BhagavAn is that moonlight Bramh'. There is no source-of-moonlight and moonlight. See BG 13.16 above. This shloka knocks off everything else.

-------
More reference for context :

BG 13.13 jñeyaṁ yat tat pravakṣhyāmi yaj jñātvāmṛitam aśhnute
anādi mat-paraṁ brahma na sat tan nāsad uchyate

I shall now reveal to you that which ought to be known, and by knowing which, one attains immortality. It is the beginningless Brahman, which lies beyond existence and non-existence.

BG 13.14 sarvataḥ pāṇi-pādaṁ tat sarvato ’kṣhi-śhiro-mukham
sarvataḥ śhrutimal loke sarvam āvṛitya tiṣhṭhati

Everywhere are His hands and feet, eyes, heads, and faces. His ears too are in all places, for He pervades everything in the universe.

BG 13.15 sarvendriya-guṇābhāsaṁ sarvendriya-vivarjitam
asaktaṁ sarva-bhṛich chaiva nirguṇaṁ guṇa-bhoktṛi cha

Though He perceives all sense-objects, yet He is devoid of the senses. He is unattached to anything, and yet He is the sustainer of all. Although He is without attributes, yet He is the enjoyer of the three modes of material nature.

*Related: BG 15.6 na tad bhAsate sUryo na shashAnko na pAvakah: |
yad gatvA na nivartante tad dhAma parama mama ||

Last edited:

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
The tradition is to leave sweet milk, porridge( kheer ) or some such dish in an open pot in the open - say on a terrace or balcony and let the moon rays drench the kheer. In the Gita , BhagavAn says the moon gives us herbs and vegetation - vanaspati, by radiating on the earth.

As it is, the kheer being prasad it is very tasty, but if you leave some it out in the moonlight for a few hours it becomes tastier!

While I have done this crazy thing before, I tried makana kheer for the first time - and left it in the moonlight.
It is said makana - Lotus Seed is Lakshmi's favorite as well and in general it is a common ingredient of dry prasad - which is well known, but I did not know it is used to make a milk -kheer.

So I tried that for the first time and it was amazing!
I did not bother to look up the recipe - just did this:

Ad a little ghee to a small pot,
add 2 cups milk ,
add a quarter cup of light brown sugar,
add 1/2 tsp ground elaichi, keep stirring
Add a drop of rose essence - just a drop - too much can spoil it. (I like rose essence so I use it as alternative for saffron)
When the milk starts boiling add makana
Let it boil and rise a few times and turn the stove off.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
makana.png

MakAnA - Lotus Seed fire-blown/puffed (can be eaten as is)

Laddu1

Hello! :)

I am a bit late with this reply but just wanted to say that Sharad Purnima holds a very special place in my heart and it brings me joy to see it being made a topic here. I didn't know about the lotus seeds yet! This year my goal is to sew white outfits for my Lordships. Or if it that doesn't happen then at least try to make the kheer you mentioned.

Last edited: