• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shankh :-(

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Namaste forum,

I ordered a shankh from India at the beginning of December, and it's been with the custom officials at the airport in Frankfurt for a week now. I wonder whether they won't treat it because they're overburdened with work or because I might have ordered a part of an animal which is illegal to import.:confused: The only other option I can think of is probably the European Hare Krishna shop in Belgium, as they sometimes have shankhs in stock. Have you ever been in a similar situation? What would you recommend?

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
Namaste @Sirona

Technically, Shankha, peacock feathers (mor pankh) are animal parts. We know that the animal (living organism) is long gone and the item is cleaned and purified for use. The custom officials do not necessarily know that and don't want to take a chance.

They are right - and just going their job. If you get the Shankha at a local shop nothing like it.

However, you can call the authorities and find what their concern is. Perhaps talking to them and giving some assurance about the source, what it is used for, how widely it is used, can help. Knowledge of the source makes a big difference.