• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shame on Texas!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Everything really is bigger in Texas, even the hate, because now social workers can refuse not only LGBT people, they can even refuse the disabled. Shame on them for such a foul deed.
Why did Texas strip protections for LGBTQ and disabled from social worker code?
The code lays out 13 areas of what constitutes professional behavior, the first among them being the following:

A social worker shall not refuse to perform any act or service for which the person is licensed solely on the basis of a client’s age; gender; race; color; religion; national origin; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity and expression; or political affiliation.

We should say that code was in the state’s code of conduct. As Washington correspondent Paul Cobler pointed out in a story last week, Gov. Greg Abbott’s office and the state board overseeing social work stripped the sexual orientation, gender identity and disability protections from the code.
First, national standards for social workers plainly require that they not discriminate against the people they are trying to help on the basis of those protections now removed from the state code.
New Texas rule lets social workers turn away clients who are LGBTQ or have a disability
The Texas State Board of Social Work Examiners voted unanimously Monday to change a section of its code of conduct that establishes when a social worker may refuse to serve someone. The code will no longer prohibit social workers from turning away clients on the basis of disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.

ecco

Veteran Member
Maybe someone will sue and, years later, the Liberal Supreme Court will overturn it.

Oh, wait, there is no such thing as a Liberal Supreme Court.

On the flip side, Justice Roberts has once again sided with the three liberals.

As another high-stakes confrontation between Democrats and Republicans went down to the wire, Chief Justice John Roberts again crept left and sided with the liberals.

John Roberts sides with the liberals on mail-in voting but things may change once Barrett arrives - CNNPolitics

Roberts' vote on Monday night, in a ballot dispute in the battleground state of Pennsylvania critical to President Donald Trump's reelection bid, led to a 4-4 Supreme Court deadlock. That left in place a Pennsylvania court decision allowing mailed ballots to be counted up to three days after Election Day, despite familiar yet unfounded claims from Republicans regarding "the taint of" illegal ballots.​

Sorry for the derail. Texas sucks.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
You never know, this might get the Texas Legislature to codify nondiscriminatory language into law.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
New Maybe someone will sue and, years later, the Liberal Supreme Court will overturn it.
I would hope any court would strike it down. Especially the disabled part. I knew there are still stigmas and discrimination, but for that level of politics to so brazenly toss them aside what could possibly justify such an atrocity?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The argument here is whether the regulatory boards rules need to be limited to the legal boundaries stated in State Law.
In this case, the regulatory board seems to be suggesting that they do.
That makes absolutely NO sense to me, and I'd read it as someone trying to put forward an excuse for the action.

Couple of quick points;
1) The Professional Association wasn't consulted on this. What was the driver for action here?
2) Regulatory Boards regularly put guidelines and expectations in place above and beyond legal requirements. However I'd be more than happy if someone wants to argue why that statement is not true.
3) Regulatory Boards cannot put in place guidelines and expectations that contravene legal limitations, but I can't see that this was the case here, at all.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Texas is odd. I once stayed at a motel in Abilene, and the bathroom sinks looked something like this:

7637ec0a268f3ea0d268cdf466d112af.jpg

I couldn't believe it. I know Texans love their state, but this is ridiculous. Besides, people spit in sinks, so it's like inviting people to spit on Texas. They might as well make toilets shaped like that as well.

But that aside, I'm sure there are many fine people in Texas who are just as outraged over this ruling as well.

Friend of Mara

Everything really is bigger in Texas, even the hate, because now social workers can refuse not only LGBT people, they can even refuse the disabled. Shame on them for such a foul deed.

New Texas rule lets social workers turn away clients who are LGBTQ or have a disability
THIS IS HORRIBLE! Austin can only pull the weight so much! This is surprising since Texas has been shifting left bit by bit each election.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
THIS IS HORRIBLE! Austin can only pull the weight so much! This is surprising since Texas has been shifting left bit by bit each election.

I thought San Antonio was a bit more liberal, along with some of the border towns. But I also know that a lot of large sections are just like Arizona (although Texans think they're more sophisticated than we are, and they're probably right).

Friend of Mara

I thought San Antonio was a bit more liberal, along with some of the border towns. But I also know that a lot of large sections are just like Arizona (although Texans think they're more sophisticated than we are, and they're probably right).
Probably. I'm not an expert on Texas. The only two cities I have spent any amount of time in is Houston and Austin.

Bear Wild

Austin and surrounding areas are liberal which is quite ironic since it is our state capital. Not sure which Texans think they are sophisticated certainty not any I have met. We are certainly not more sophisticated than people from Arizona. No just drive a little north of Austin and you can end up in Waco. That is kind of like placing the amazon in driving distance to the south pole. If you forget Waco is the site of the Waco siege with the Branch Davidians,

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Probably. I'm not an expert on Texas. The only two cities I have spent any amount of time in is Houston and Austin.
I've only stayed at Amarillo for the night. The mask compliance was a step above non-existent. It's was at least better than a couple of other places I've stayed at on the drive between here and Indiana.
Austin and surrounding areas are liberal which is quite ironic since it is our state capital.
Indianapolis in the same way. Fort Wayne is the other dot of Blue in Indiana.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Austin and surrounding areas are liberal which is quite ironic since it is our state capital. Not sure which Texans think they are sophisticated certainty not any I have met. We are certainly not more sophisticated than people from Arizona.

I remember running into some people from Dallas who were razzing on Tucson, such a low-class place, while touting Dallas as some kind of cultural mecca.

No just drive a little north of Austin and you can end up in Waco. That is kind of like placing the amazon in driving distance to the south pole. If you forget Waco is the site of the Waco siege with the Branch Davidians,

I've crisscrossed the state quite a number of times. I don't mind west Texas, but as one gets further east towards Houston, the humidity can be unbearable.

Bear Wild

I remember running into some people from Dallas who were razzing on Tucson, such a low-class place, while touting Dallas as some kind of cultural mecca.

I've crisscrossed the state quite a number of times. I don't mind west Texas, but as one gets further east towards Houston, the humidity can be unbearable.

Lived in Corpus and the humidity was horrible. Places like New Braunfels and Fredericksburg are some of my favorites. Ok people from Dallas are a little more stuck up.

Bear Wild

I've only stayed at Amarillo for the night. The mask compliance was a step above non-existent. It's was at least better than a couple of other places I've stayed at on the drive between here and Indiana. But mask compliance was barely a step above non-existent.

Indianapolis in the same way. Fort Wayne is the other dot of Blue in Indiana.

It is different in Austin.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
What is paradoxical is that social workers are supposed to help people who have more difficulties than others. Particularly, people with disabilities....LGBTs...

Heyo

Veteran Member

An opportunity for the professionals and their associations to state that they will not and will not allow their members to discern.
"We do it because it's right, not because it's the law."