• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shamanism and Astral Projection

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
A thought-provoking question, to be sure. The answer depends much on what we're placing under these two terms.

Through my own understanding of Shamanic practices, Shamanisms, and astral projection, I would say that this is true, at least to some extent. Journeying is a major component of Shamanisms, and to at least some extent "astral projection" is a synonym for some form of journeywork. Whether or not it refers to precisely the same form or method is debatable, and I'm cautious about making too strong of an equivocation. Shamanisms are grounded in an inescapably animistic worldview, and the Western occultism out of which the term and practice of astral projection developed is not. The manner in which the otherworlds are described and the methods by which they accessed are different in some significant ways. I'd consider them both forms of journeying, but beyond that, the similarities may be relatively superficial. I'm not really sure.

Im42nut2

Is Shamanism mostly about Astral Projection?

My belief of astral projection is a movement of one's consciousness out of the brain of the body. Most say there's a 'silver thread' that keeps the consciousness attached to the brain, giving it the pathway back.

My belief of shamanism, also referred to as nagualism, is a movement of the 'assemblage point' (termed by Carlos Castaneda) away from its normal position. The 'assemblage point' is an egg-shaped bubble of energy which is approximately one one-hundredth of our total individual spirit. It's the only part of our total spirit we use. It's the only part of our total spirit which connects to the energy field surrounding us.
This movement causes two significant events. First it pulls the consciousness from the brain into the 'assemblage point'. Second, it moves the bubble from the place of normal reality (dropping at least part of the connecting field energy) and connects to the energy it moves into. They also say hallucinatory drugs loosen the 'assemblage point' allowing it to move easily.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is Shamanism mostly about Astral Projection?

I guess it's similar,except for I believe in Shamanism, the spirit inhabits the Shaman's body and visa versa. Whereas, in Astral projection, the person hovers over the other person's body. A Shaman works with the energies (lack of better words) to heal others by spirit intervention. So he isn't "leaving his body" he is more connecting this world with the spiritual world for healing. Astral projection is directly related to going outside of the body. I guess Shamans can astral project; but, Shamanism and astral projection are completely separate in nature.