• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shakti

Kalidas

So people have been asking for more "Hindu" threads, so here I go.

I made observation about Shakti, she seems to bridge the gap between sects. Take for example Fireside and I. Lakshmi holds a special place in her heart and Kali in mine. Look at who their husbands are Vishnu and Shiva respecfully, they are the wives of two different "families" yet both are shakti. I find that interesting and down right awesome.

Question time! Is there a masculine equivalent? Like a male deity that is both Shiva and Vishnu? I think Jainarayan can help here.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There is 'Ardhanareeshwara', combination of Shiva and Shakti (where is NYK?) or 'Lakshminarayana'. I only know that 'Shiva' is 'shava' (dead) without Shakti. That is why RadhaKrishna and SitaRam. The female counterpart always getting the first place (however, Shiva/Shakti). The two inseparables Brahman/Maya.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
She does bridge the gaps and this is part of her appeal to me. I feel that wherever I go in Hinduism, Shakti is always there, even if in the Shadows. I can even find her in the Devotions of Ayyappa Bhaktas, because Vishnu became Mohini in order to be his mother.

One interesting thing about Hinduism as a whole is the surprising amount of gender fluidity that people find acceptable when speaking of Divinity. Krishna is described as so beautiful that even men cannot resist him at times. Durga and Kali are fierce and warlike - qualities that most modern societies consider a masculine trait.

Identifying God with a gender at all is of course illusory, but like other illusions it might serve a purpose.

:camp:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Question time! Is there a masculine equivalent? Like a male deity that is both Shiva and Vishnu? I think Jainarayan can help here.

There's Harihara :D
He is literally the combination of both.

Yes that is indeed Harihara or Shankarnarayana, the conjoined forms of Shiva and Vishnu. The line in my sig. is from one of the puranas, Swami Sivananda did not coin the phrase himself as the Wiki article would have one believe. Here is the DSL explanation Lord Siva and His Worship. I don't have a murthi of Harihara, but I have a framed 8x10 of the picture in my avi, above my shrine.

Maya3

She does bridge the gaps and this is part of her appeal to me. I feel that wherever I go in Hinduism, Shakti is always there, even if in the Shadows. I can even find her in the Devotions of Ayyappa Bhaktas, because Vishnu became Mohini in order to be his mother.

One interesting thing about Hinduism as a whole is the surprising amount of gender fluidity that people find acceptable when speaking of Divinity. Krishna is described as so beautiful that even men cannot resist him at times. Durga and Kali are fierce and warlike - qualities that most modern societies consider a masculine trait.

Identifying God with a gender at all is of course illusory, but like other illusions it might serve a purpose.

I love, love, love this!! :D

Maya

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's a basic concept and explanation: Tridevi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that mentions Navratri.

I love this picture:

tridevi1.png

Here's one, though I don't think the resolution would make it suitable for printing.

tridevi2.jpg

If you Google search Tridevi you get a lot.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Has anyone here ever noticed a difference in the energy in a temple, enough to compare them, one to another, for different Gods?

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Has anyone here ever noticed a difference in the energy in a temple, enough to compare them, one to another, for different Gods?

I have only noticed the difference between temples where the energy is "high" or "low". So far I don't pick up on anything more subtle then that. There was a Ram a temple I visited near Chicago that felt very "heavy". You could definitely feel the presence of God there. I got the same feeling from a Lakshmi Temple in MA. On the other hand, the energy at the temple in Harrisburg is either chaotic or not there at all. At least for me.

I wonder how much of it has to do with the architectural differences.

Last edited:

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig

Yes it is definitely different. So far I have noted it is very different from Shiva temples, Shakti temples, and Ganesha's ones have very special vibrations too.

Of course I am talking about the main deity, the main atmosphere seems to be more based on the main resident of the mandir in the garbhagriha than on the little shrines around.

Fireside Hindu said:
I wonder how much of it has to do with the architectural differences.

Of course, temple architecture is well described in scriptures, and mostly based on mystical principles for the best generation, conservation, and distribution of the energy.

Vastu is also very important and well considered when arranging a temple

vastu_shastra1_large.jpg

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I have only noticed the difference between temples where the energy is "high" or "low".

You know, that pretty much describes what I get and have gotten. I was looking for an overall energy, but I only get it at some of the sanctums.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For me personally, Siva calms incredibly, and the darshan is subtle. Murugan, the God of yoga, makes me go in. Ganesha is just like a friendly big brother putting His hand on my shoulder ... consoling, helping.

But Shakti. To be incredibly frank here without insulting anyone, I personally don't like it. It's too 'swirly and active' for my tastes in darshan. Lots of people do like it. Out temple celebrates Navaratri, and they get good crowds. I don't go. I just don't like it somehow. I can go, and will go to Amman temples on pilgrimage, etc. but not my first choice.

I kind of like Venkateshwara temples, and do feel peaceful at them.

Like others have said, generally the central sanctum overwhelms the rest of it ... for me.

But it's all good.

Nyingjé Tso

But Shakti. To be incredibly frank here without insulting anyone, I personally don't like it. It's too 'swirly and active' for my tastes in darshan. Lots of people do like it. Out temple celebrates Navaratri, and they get good crowds. I don't go. I just don't like it somehow. I can go, and will go to Amman temples on pilgrimage, etc. but not my first choice.

Yes, this is the exact same thing I experienced too. I think it looks more... "concentrated", like the energy is more focused at some points, on the countrary of Shiva and Ganesha temples where it just fills the air here and there without being overwhelmingly concentrated in one place.

In Mahalaxmi mandir it is the TriShakti that is enshrined there, and I must say the feelings when entering the sanctum is incredibly striking. The fact that you directly face the deity explains maybe. But, as the energy was the strongest in the sanctum, it wasn't felt outside of it. This is why I feel like Shakti energy is more present, striking, and concentrated into a specific place. In SiddhiVinayak mandir, you could feel GaneshJi in all the temple not only in the sanctum.

But I quite like Shakti energy. The only problem is I cannot sit peacefully and meditate properly like in the Shiva temple.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But I quite like Shakti energy. The only problem is I cannot sit peacefully and meditate properly like in the Shiva temple.

That's funny. :) And exactly why I most likely don't like it. Murugan temples are my favorite for sure. I don't have to work at going in, it just happens. In the famous six in TN, they're all just amazing. I totally lost any sense of time. Morning is like evening, ten seconds feels like a day, etc. I skipped meals, sat at the seashore or on the steps for hours, etc, and for one in particular, (Palani) I felt shakti about 10 miles away, just from the hill. :)

Nyingjé Tso

Morning is like evening, ten seconds feels like a day, etc. I skipped meals, sat at the seashore or on the steps for hours, etc, and for one in particular, (Palani) I felt shakti about 10 miles away, just from the hill. :)

wow, did you know it happened really THE SAME to me ?
In Paris temple and in a small Shiv mandir up in a hill in Tamil Nadu (I will try to get the name, you definitely have to try it out if you go back there someday)
I went on morning... Then all the day passed like the blinking of an eye ! I didn't even drink or got something to eat at all, all day ! I just sat there, and meditated. For like, all day. It was disturbing to realize that night was falling and temple about to close.

Was definitely hungry after that through :D

I wonder if the priest find us weird. Just meditating there all day along, they must say to themselve "those people must have nothing else to do in their life !" xD

Yogi1054

Shakti
When I think of a God that join the families of both Lord Shiva and Lord Vishu together I think of Lord
Lord%2BAyyappa%2B2.jpg

Born of Lord Vishnu (in his female form as Mohni) and Lord Shiva

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I wonder if the priest find us weird. Just meditating there all day along, they must say to themselve "those people must have nothing else to do in their life !" xD

:) That's funny. I can see them discussing ... "maybe we should go poke her."
In my experience, priests find us a breath of fresh air. Anybody who'll stop for more than a few minutes gives them a great feeling that their job is worthwhile after all.