• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shakespearean Translator

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Looking for a Shakespearean translator for a project. (English to Shakespearean) Anyone know where I might find this?

t3gah

Are you talking about actual language or something else?

There are two places I'd look besides using google first:

freshemeat.net

and

sourceforge.net

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I'm supposed to compose a diary of both Romeo and Juliet. For a twist, I decided to have it in Shakespearean, or Old/Middle English. That's what I mean, really. Wasn't looking forward to doing it by hand though...

No*s

Captain Obvious
I can't help you with a translator, but I would not use one of your standard editions of Shakespeare. Its grammar was updated fairly recently, so that it's more of a Early Modern English that's been mixed up with Late Modern English to produce a hybridized grammar. When I found out they'd updated it, I felt bad. I know it probably isn't much...but the thought that I was reading the text after it had been systematically changed just bothered me :(.

I know there's a good site for Middle English, even if that won't help you much with Shakespeare's Early Modern English. I'll have to dig through my bakcup files tonight, because I had a bookmark of Chaucer's work in an unupdated form and found a couple of online reference grammars as well. Ic wittest thas.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Since he specified Chaucer and Shakespeare, his teacher is definately looking at Middle and Modern English. That assumes that the teacher does indeed understand the subject :).

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
No*s said:
Since he specified Chaucer and Shakespeare, his teacher is definately looking at Middle and Modern English. That assumes that the teacher does indeed understand the subject :).
Unless Druidus is very advanced for 16, I've never heard of a high school teacher fluent in Old and/or Middle English... or maybe we just get all the sucky teachers down south. ;)

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I know he'll understand it. This guy is amazing! Perhaps I can find a lexicon somewhere...

No*s

Captain Obvious
I feel dense now, since you never said "Chaucer." I inferred it from the "Old/Modern" statement. I'm now guilty of eisogesis on this thread :(.

Old English -- before around the 11th century -- It is highly inflectional and incomprehensible. You don't want to touch it. It's an inflectional language with an all-together different vocabulary, because it predates the Norman Conquest. Sample:

Hwaet we Gar-Dena in gear-dagum
theod-cyninga thrym gefrunon,
hu tha aethelingas ellen frmedon.

That's the first three lines from Beowulf. I replaced the letters Thorn and Aeth with modern equivelants. I don't think I need to expand :D. I've been trying to reverse engineer it...but I'm going to have to break down and get a grammar.

Middle English -- 11th Century till about the 13th or 14th -- This is English that has lost most of its inflectional attributes and has had its vocabulary worked over by the Norman Conquest. It, however, is still different. During this time, the principle change is that the vowel pronunciation changed radically. This is called the Great Vowel Shift.

Sample:

`Experience, though noon auctoritee
Were in this world, is right ynogh for me
To speke of wo that is in mariage;
For, lordinges, sith I twelve yeer was of age,
Thonked be God that is eterne on live

That's the first five lines of the Bath's Prologue in the Canterbury Tales.

Modern English is the result of the Great Vowel Shift, and it is our language in common with Shakespeare :). He was definately a Modern English speaker and writer.

I'm not sure if you were clear on the word definitions, so I decided to put up the technical versions. I felt dumb after assuming so much and rereading your posts and seeing my error. This will certainly clear the air.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Jensa said:
Unless Druidus is very advanced for 16, I've never heard of a high school teacher fluent in Old and/or Middle English... or maybe we just get all the sucky teachers down south. ;)

Yeah...I feel rather dense after rereading it. I assumed he knew more about the technical meanings of those words (and inferred "Chaucer") than he may be able to yet :(.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I definately did not mean old english, however, middle english/modern english would be good. I have tried reading "The Canterbury Tales" and while it is quite incomprehensible at first, I have started to understand better. My English teacher has read "The Canterbury Tales" and says he had no problems, so I think he should understand Middle English.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Yeah, Middle English is pretty comprehensible. When I first learned the division between Modern and Middle, I was somewhat confused. It didn't seem all that different. Then I learned about the Great Vowel Shift. Then I discovered how my texts had been "modernized," and with that...I had to try and get some real stuff :D.

Seriously, though, I'd suggest you go to your library and see if you can't get a ME grammar. Shakespeare's English is Modern English, so most of what you need is recognizing how the verb declines and a vocab update. Middle English requires a little more updating, but as you said, it's definately understandable. You may miss details like the differances between "kan," "know," and "wit" in our verbs, but you'll get it soon enough :).

michalakis

i'm having exactly the same problem as Druidus...so nobody has come up with anything that works then? Because i have loked everywhere and not found anything and i'm screwed if this isn't done in a few days!